Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to add some rake

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

as mentioned above rake and trail

google search RB racing rake and trail calculator

I used 3 degree raked bearing cups and 3 degree trees on my old dyna.....added 6 degrees and the trail was decent enough that handling didn't suffer.

29 degrees stock, +3 in the Cups, +3 in the trees=+6.....34 degrees.

Stock rake and adding raked trees is a real bad idea. The raked bearing cups change the rake of the frame and keep the trail good when adding raked trees.

Raked trees were designed to compensate for a raked frame.

Looks good, and may handle okay, but the handling will never be as good as it was before doing this. Anythng more than 32-34 degrees max, and the ability to toss it around side to side is greatly diminished.

I've had raked bikes, out to about 41 degrees, and I've had stock bikes at around 29 degrees. The less rake, the better, IMHO.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 12-14-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,979 Likes on 3,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 201048
I've seen 3 different options 39MM 41MM and 49MM which one would be right for my 12' StreetBob
What size are your forks? You want to match your forks so your not buying those too.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

streetbob are the big ones, but not sure.

I like 41mm wideglide myself.

~Joe

Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member

My raked out DYNA was so fk'n sweet...looking at the pic makes me regret letting her go. What I did was made a Superglide look like a wideglide. And I REALLY should have kept her.

the rakes look good, but when you're in the saddle riding, extreme rake makes the bike handle like ****. Hate to say it but it's true. Leave the rake stock and the wheel sizes the same.....custom wheels of the same size....work around the stock parameters. the bike will ride great, look just as good...and in the end you will be much happier.

Take it from me....I have tried damn near all the combinations....stock parameters are that way for a reason.

That's why you don't see a huge wheel on the bagger, but it IS a custom wheel.....I like to actually RIDE, not just bullshit at the bar....bs at the bar is AFTER the ride.

.....and yes the sporty is a REAL *** kicker.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 12-14-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 201048
i've seen 3 different options 39mm 41mm and 49mm which one would be right for my 12' streetbob
49mm.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
95BadBoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 to 4

I would not use any more than a 3 or 4 deg raked trees. I have a set of 4 deg on my softail

Attached Thumbnails Looking to add some rake-trees-4-deg.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 PM
inkjunkie
6th Gear
Default Dusting the cob webs off of this one....

Originally Posted by traveler
as mentioned above rake and trail

google search RB racing rake and trail calculator

I used 3 degree raked bearing cups and 3 degree trees on my old dyna.....added 6 degrees and the trail was decent enough that handling didn't suffer.

29 degrees stock, +3 in the Cups, +3 in the trees=+6.....34 degrees.

Stock rake and adding raked trees is a real bad idea. The raked bearing cups change the rake of the frame and keep the trail good when adding raked trees.

Raked trees were designed to compensate for a raked frame.

Looks good, and may handle okay, but the handling will never be as good as it was before doing this. Anythng more than 32-34 degrees max, and the ability to toss it around side to side is greatly diminished.

I've had raked bikes, out to about 41 degrees, and I've had stock bikes at around 29 degrees. The less rake, the better, IMHO.

~Joe
Anyone else have any input on this? My ride is a 43* frame, 5 or so in the trees. According to the calculator on the RB site my trail is at 4.7" or so. Takes a lot of room to make low speed turns and feels like a sled at speed. Very unhappy with it....going to get another frame....looking into a FX-FL frame with a 180 tire....chopper has a 250...

Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have these on my 2011 super glide custom. http://hawghalters.com/triple-trees/.../prod_454.html Its a killer look because the trees sit on top of the tubes eliminating the bolts that come up from the trees. The ride changed slightly meaning the turning wasn't as loose but I got used to it within 5 mins. I am looking to sell them. I installed them in April but now have decided to go back to the regular rake and put on a rifle fairing with Mx T bars. These retailed for $592 plus $20 shipping. If you are interested Im removing them next week and am looking to get $375 shipped for them. I am also selling my 14 inch Carlini Gangster apes, Carlini hi roller risers, the chrome controls on the bars, magnum shielding cables, and the bars are already wired up. And Im selling the chrome lower leg kit. if you are interested pm with your email address and I will email you a pic of what my dyna looks like raked out 3 degrees the set up I just mentioned.

Last edited by cycler; 09-15-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 PM
inkjunkie
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cycler
I have these on my 2011 super glide custom. http://hawghalters.com/triple-trees/.../prod_454.html Its a killer look because the trees sit on top of the tubes eliminating the bolts that come up from the trees. The ride changed slightly meaning the turning wasn't as loose but I got used to it within 5 mins. I am looking to sell them. I installed them in April but now have decided to go back to the regular rake and put on a rifle fairing with Mx T bars. These retailed for $592 plus $20 shipping. If you are interested Im removing them next week and am looking to get $375 shipped for them. I am also selling my 14 inch Carlini Gangster apes, Carlini hi roller risers, the chrome controls on the bars, magnum shielding cables, and the bars are already wired up. And Im selling the chrome lower leg kit. if you are interested pm with your email address and I will email you a pic of what my dyna looks like raked out 3 degrees the set up I just mentioned.
My forks are 41mm...

Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Dragon354
Cruiser

Hell I want to take rake away from my bike. I think I am the only one in the world that wants to do it to.

Quick Reply: Looking to add some rake