Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna wide glide lowering tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna wide glide lowering tips?

Got a 2004 wide glide and was considering lowering it so I can get my feet squarely on the ground. I have been looking at sites all about lowering and most state to lower front and rear for best results. My question is if I lowered just the rear, how would it hurt the bike in handling, performance, and overall ride? I have purchased a pair of Harley brand 11 inch shocks for the rear and haven't put hem on yet! Was still worried about doing just the rear! Any advice from all you gear heads?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There's another thread talking about just lowering the back. I can't find it at the minute. I personally think the WG looks best with just the back lowered. It really emphasizes the raked look. I can't speak for handling, but only 1" shouldn't cause a noticeable difference.

Before you start though, just as a sanity check. ($$$), check out the Burly kits. You can get a full front and back kit for around $300. If you end up doing the fronts too, you might save some bucks with Burly. Everyone seems to like the products and results.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser

Yeah I checked out the burly kits and I was impressed with the reviews! I got the 11 inch shocks from a friend and I might just install tomorrow. Sites I looked at said that for handling, lower both front and rear at the same time for the best results. Found some progressive front springs for $100 on e bay. I like the rear lowered like you because it does give that front rake a mean stance. Another question,when I'm riding and grab the front brakes, there is a clunk in the front I can't seem to find. I checked the stem bearings and axle bearings, but the sound is coming from the forks. Harley shop said they all sound like that! DUH, if it rattles, clunks, buzzes, or any other noise that doesn't sound quite right, fix it! Any thoughts on that clunk? It also does it on bumps and really feels loose when it bumps!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser

Another question, these shocks have the chrome lower shield and I can't see any way to get to the spanner nut to adjust the ride! How do you adjust those shocks with the shield in the way?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If the clunk happens while braking and while hitting bumps, it is probably, almost certainly in the tubes. If everything is tight, I'd start with fluid level. It could also just be a weak spring, but there is no way to really check it. Since you are replacing shocks, you should upgrade the fork springs regardless of any front end height change.

I can't answer the shock adjustment question. I put progressives on since new and left them on their stock setting.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser

Thanks and I will look into those fork tubes making a noise! Thanks again! Anyone out here know how to adjust the rear shocks when they have the chrome lower shield on them? I can see the adjustment spanner nut, but can't get to because of those lower shields!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you exhaust doesn't scrape when you lower it.
They are low any way, lowering it more could cause the exhaust to drag.
I can only use certain exhaust on our WD because they scrape bad.

dd

Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Cruzn34
Cruiser

I'll make sure of the exhaust and thanks for the tip!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
zhalvaje
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cruzn34
"Anyone out here know how to adjust the rear shocks when they have the chrome lower shield on them? I can see the adjustment spanner nut, but can't get to because of those lower shields!

you can adjust the rear shocks/springs by inserting the spanner wrench into the shield holes, just make that you're turning it the right way (clockwise or counter clockwise)

Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Cruzn34
Cruiser

Originally Posted by zhalvaje
you can adjust the rear shocks/springs by inserting the spanner wrench into the shield holes, just make that you're turning it the right way (clockwise or counter clockwise)

Thanks, I got the adjustment done today and your post answered a lot of questions! Bike sure looks mean lowered and the shocks don't bottom out after the adjustment! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Dyna wide glide lowering tips?