Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping V&H Big Shots...Need Help / Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I painted the pipes with high heat 1100° paint, then wet the wrap and wrapped, then used the DEI silicone black (about 5 coats) then went over again with the high heat paint. Smoked pretty good for about 10 minutes. Washed the bike today and the water just beads right off. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM
thekraken
Intermediate

That looks awesome. How much did that cost you? How long? I'd imagine it would be similar with short shots.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thekraken
That looks awesome. How much did that cost you? How long? I'd imagine it would be similar with short shots.
I bought a 50' roll on amazon for $36 and bought the DEI silicone spray at Advance Auto Parts for $8 and some clamps at true-value. Took me about a total 4-5 hours over two days.

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010108-Bla.../dp/B000BRNF68

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thekraken
I think the shorts shots are two separate pipes so it would be much easier

Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07HDStreetBob
well...got it done today
Sick! I've been looking at that myself. Did you wrap the mufflers too? The wrap there looks thicker than the headers in the photo - and it looks good. Can you shoot a couple straight on photos from the side?

You said you painted the pipes first. You painted over the chrome or removed the heat shields and painted the headers?

I'm going to do Atlas and was considering wrapping just the headers because the mufflers were thicker in diameter and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Yours look good, which is why I asked if you wrapped them. Any insight appreciated.

Last edited by Shrug; 02-06-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
vegasrak19
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07HDStreetBob
well...got it done today

Also did the derby cover in VHT Wrinkle Black
I am interested in wrapping my set of V&H pipes that are just like yours.. I was curious if you could take another photo of the exhaust but facing the exhaust side so I could get a better view... Very interested how you wrapped over the connection between the two pipes.. Also did you have to scuff up the pipes before you painted them? Thank you..

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
thekraken
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I plan on doing this soon. Your bike is sweet.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link. IMO tho, wrapping pipes is a labor of love. You aren't on the fence about it. You either love it or not. No in betweens.

I think they're just as much a labor of love as chrome or black. I love the way they look. And once the newness of my warheaders wares off ill be wrapping mine. I have expensive ceramic pipes so its a little like smoking rat poison to get high, it feels good then your pipes crack n die.

But you look really cool on your way to burry your pipes. I'm gonna go with a tan rust copper looking wrap with black zip strips.

Here's a link. Kinda helpfull from an installation pov. A guy in the city charges 100 bucks to wrap them and his wraps are tight n sick looking. He's got my 100

http://www.ehow.com/how_6950130_wrap...e-exhaust.html

Attached Thumbnails Wrapping V&H Big Shots...Need Help / Opinion-image.jpg  

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vegasrak19
I am interested in wrapping my set of V&H pipes that are just like yours.. I was curious if you could take another photo of the exhaust but facing the exhaust side so I could get a better view... Very interested how you wrapped over the connection between the two pipes.. Also did you have to scuff up the pipes before you painted them? Thank you..
Here is a shot from the side:

First i wrapped like in this picture below but didnt like, so what i did what wrap the 4 sections (mufflers and headers) separate and then wrapped the crossover section itself and put a band clamp in the middle to pull the wrap in (thought it looked better that way plus needed it to hold the wrap on)

I just scuffed the pipes with a scotch-brite pad, cleaned with some acetone and then sprayed with the high heat paint first (couple of light coats). Here is a closer picture of the crossover section:

Quick Reply: Wrapping V&H Big Shots...Need Help / Opinion