Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Day with new Thunderheader...(56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, when you do rewrap them, Wrap from the back of the pipe to the front. This will allow the wrap to run aerodynamically with the pipes. Where you have them now catches the wind/water etc... and in your case, unravel a lot quicker.
Just a tip.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM
gear.h34d.2012
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Got any worm drive clamps?
It looks like a super glide maybe?
Has it been lowered?
It hasn't been lowered. It's a stock suspended 2005 FXDL-I. 'Dat Lowrider!

Originally Posted by Red89
That really is too bad, man. I can't say I'm too surprised though, the ground clearance on the Thunderheader is what put me off. I think the best performance pipe for ground clearance is a samson powerflow III, at least that's what I've come to understand through my research. Don't have one fitted yet. I do know that my lower V&H muffler has some serious road rash, even scraped my primary cover the other day which is when I decided to start backing off a bit.

Also, have you heard of header pipes cracking due to limited heat dissipation caused by wrapping? Did this discourage you at all?
I did read plenty about it and I can't honestly say it put me off at all. I actually work at my local Harley Dealership, and my bossman has a 2005 FXDX with Bassani 2-1. Those have been wrapped since late 2008 and he's never had any kind of an issue. I figured I'd roll the dice for the aesthetics and the added little HP.

Originally Posted by Bigpoppa_Junior
That sucks man but your clearly new to having wrapped pipes because that is a known fact that it will happen if you hit the right turns to hard.
First set of pipes I've ever wrapped. Lesson learned, but looking at the positives I'm kinda digging my mechanics idea of patching it and sequentially wrapped several ties in that area. Going for Franken-Thunderheader.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
gear.h34d.2012
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Also, when you do rewrap them, Wrap from the back of the pipe to the front. This will allow the wrap to run aerodynamically with the pipes. Where you have them now catches the wind/water etc... and in your case, unravel a lot quicker.
Just a tip.
That's brilliant! Thanks!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Red89
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... You just may have persuaded me to do this myself. I do really like the look. Just need to make sure that my bike is perfectly tuned beforehand I guess. Enjoy the new pipes and good luck fixing the scuff!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Red89
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Just a tip.
Never knew that! Pro-tip!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM
HooliganCycles
Advanced

Originally Posted by dynatheevo
These bikes look cool lowered.. but it makes for a rough ride, the primary will scrape, kick-stand geometry becomes off, and fancy new exhausts get scraped to hell.

I bought mine lowered, got new progressive 444 shocks for it and I'll be making some new fork spacers to raise up the front end some.
Wish I could actually RIDE IT but my damn wheel won't align properly and there doesn't seem to be any harley mechanics on this board or at least in this section.
If anyone reading this knows how to ALIGN a replacement front wheel PLEASE get in contact.
I am a harley dealer mechanic, what do you want to know?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are a couple of easy ways to stop that #1 stop the wrap right before that bend where it touches down I've done that it works real good.Or #2 take a piece of your old heat shields and hose clamp it over where it scrapes that"ll work too.I've done both and I thought stopping the wrap right before that bend looked the best.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh no, it sucks! You ride it like you stole it.
Sorry to hear that, at least it is tape, redo it!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
ReapersWG
Cruiser

Gonna be a big PITA to check your oil and add oil too from your pics

Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM
gear.h34d.2012
Advanced

UPDATE:

I'm going to attempt to fabricate a skidplate for that area that bottoms out. At the moment, I've pulled the wrap time and tied it off with heatshield ties. Good buddy of mine works in a local metallurgy shop and he's going to set me up. Shall see how it goes!

Quick Reply: First Day with new Thunderheader...(56k warning)