Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking Of Moving Up to a Street Bob From a Sporty! Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
bigbush
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned 4 sporties. I bought my first Dyna this spring. I love the Dyna. My sporty is collecting dust.

My street Bob handles well. Not as nimble as the sporty, but better on longer rides.

Last edited by bigbush; 05-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM
HDIron2
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I started out on a sportster and loved the feel of it since it was the very first bike I had ever ridden. HD tried to convince me to start out with a dyna, specifically a Street Bob but since I was new to riding decided on the sportster. After 3-4 mos under my belt I wanted bigger so I bought a SB. You will notice some slight differences. IMO the sportster is more nimble but I love my Street Bob. I ended up selling my sportster because it was just collecting dust and taking up space in my garage. You can't go wrong with a SB

Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Vins
Club Member

If you're really short, you may be comfortable on the Sporty. I'm only 5'8" and rode a Sporty for years until I was able to buy a Dyna. I get on the Sporty, now, and can't believe I was ever able to ride it. I feel like I'm on a tricycle. The Dyna rides great and I'm picking up another, an '03 anniversary in June.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
myaman
2nd Gear

I must say that the Dyna is worth it. When you are doing 65 and then passing a girl driving a pick up truck and she speeds up on you until you are side by side at 95 mph and the Sporty is out of guts to finish the deal before a semi comes the other way, you will want the Big motor of the Dyna. Yea the girl in the truck was wrong and stupid, but the rider on the Sporty has the problem.

How's that for a run on sentence?

- Jeremiah

Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Let me tell you my quick story....

I walked into the dealer in 2010 with the sole purpose of purchasing an Iron 883. I then went for my test ride on the Iron 883 and rode it hard. When I got back from my test ride, the dealer was like so are we ready to write this deal up? And I said, "Yes, but on that Black Denim Street Bob that you just rolled out on the floor while I was on my test ride!"

I didn't even test ride the Street Bob. As soon as I saw it, I had to make it mine! Everytime I ride it, I thank myself for having the wisdom and forethought to just go for the Street Bob because I would have been kicking myself everyday while riding that Iron 883 around. Sorry Sportster fans, but they do not hold a candle to a Dyna.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Fargone11
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As everyone has mentioned. A sporty is fun... though at the end of day it is NOT a Dyna. I own a WG which I LOVE... I purchased a 48 for my OL. I ride the sporty from time to time but my heart will always remain with the WG!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

i traded in my Nightster after only 6months i wish i would of never got it lol, i was a harley noob coming from sportbikes so i thought the appeal of having a small harley would be awesome

but after going on rides with other harley riders i saw where the bigger harleys were much more suited to my riding style

my old nightster

dyna

Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

After riding my Dyna for about 3 years when I get on my 97 Sporty it seems awkward and top heavy. I like my Dyna much better.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 AM
oldlefty
Tourer

a dyna is the way to go man. doooo iiiiittttt!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
JerseyNoelle
4th Gear

I just sold my Honda Shadow 600 after 2 seasons. This weekend I tested a sporty 1200. I personally did not like it. felt "cheap" and my honda had a better ride. I was initially intimidated by the size of the Street Bob (I am 5'4" and 140 lbs) but honestly, I am so glad I didnt let fear stop me from testing it. For me, it was perfect. I felt more stable, not getting blown all over the place and I didnt notice the weight at all. Once I got moving, even slow manuevers, which are still sometimes scarey for me, seemed easier than even my small Honda. Test them both. Thank God Harley lets you test. Otherwise I would have gotten another Honda maybe 750. So glad I didnt. For me its a no brainer, but you gotta do you. Test them both, you won't be sorry

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Moving Up to a Street Bob From a Sporty! Advice Please