Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make you bike handle too well??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

You could put some "curb feelers" on the bike, and slow down when you hear them scraping against the pavement. LOL

I understand where you're coming from though, and I'm partly serious about an idea like that. I've thought about installing something which will give a little warning before non-yielding parts scrape hard enough to make you lose it. Actually, those "feelers" on the bottom of the stock footpegs weren't bad for that. Maybe I should put the stock pegs back on, annoying as scraping those things was.

I partly got into Harleys to slow down too, so like I said, I can understand where you're coming from. But when you're going to go around a corner really fast on anything, you've always got to drive the corner first to check it out, if you want to be semi-safe. This time, it was some grass clippings. Next time, it could be a stalled car blocking the road or a deer. These are some things I think about to help me slow down.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

On my Fat Bob, the heels of my feet dragging are my reminder that I am leaning enough! That still not keeping me from planning engine upgrades! The sickness has me in his grips..

Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I forgot to mention - if you point your toes a little, you can lean further without your heels dragging! Ha, Ha

Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I'm not joking.
I knew there would be those that don't get it. I am an aggressive rider/driver, so it is not something I can choose to do. Believe me I've tried. A few minutes of loafing, then it back to clipping apexes. It's the same in my car, but I have 4 contact patches, ABS, DTC, airbags, etc...

I'm glad to see there are a few out there that "get it".

Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I forgot to mention - if you point your toes a little, you can lean further without your heels dragging! Ha, Ha

With my pegs/stirrups I had my feet knocked off too often, so I got footboards. Believe it or not, they have MORE clearance (at least compared to the Airfoil w/stirrups)!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I think it might be like drinking, I am a beer nerd and love to have a couple of IPA's once or twice a week. I really do not understand alcoholism, but I know it is real and those people have to stay away from bars. I think most riders understand their limits and can deal with it, some (maybe you) have a harder time, but like someone else said, buying a different bike probably wont be the answer. Maybe a trike? Good luck, I admire your honesty!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by slozomby
get a gopro. show the video to your wife.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM
slvrbck33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get rid of the dyna, get a bagger, and you will soon find its limits as well. And don't think the limits of a bagger will slow you much.

Same as someone else said in this thread, some of us will ride to the limits of the bike and our abilities, no matter what sled it is.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I know exactly where you are coming from in the original post. The only difference is that instead of coming from sport bikes, I came from race cars. I did get a sport bike (Honda V45 Interceptor) after my auto racing days to satisfy my desires and I rode it just like I drove a race car although I would usually leave just a touch more margin for error. That is only natural to me when riding (or driving) on the street, coupled with the fact that I feel I'm a better driver than rider.

Then I took a break from bikes while my kids were growing up.

In 2001 I got a Harley so I would "slow down". Right! Now at 60 years old with my 900 lb. beast I still like to mix it up occassionally with the sport bike crowd. I obviously don't push it to the same extremes as when I was younger since my reflexes and perceptions are not as sharp, but the excitement of riding/driving anything in an aggressive manner never leaves you.

Attached Thumbnails Make you bike handle too well??-215812a.jpg   Make you bike handle too well??-215813a.jpg   Make you bike handle too well??-2840r.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 08-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
outlaw16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a V-Rod. It takes an act of congress to the turn them!

Quick Reply: Make you bike handle too well??