Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion Straight Rate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 AM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Robbyville, I strongly reccomend you trade your .90's for the .85 before you install.
I weigh 180#'s and had the .95's and they were too stiff. The .85 will be perfect for your weight.
I agree with this. If you weigh the same as Squid you'll need a lighter spring..PS- thanks for the replies, I'll focus my research more towards the Works DRS shocks now.

Last edited by tonebone_79; 12-27-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
When I finally do the work (after the holidays), and set my sag and cut my spacer, I assume I should do it with my windshield on?
While it's true that you'll get the most accurate sag setting with the bike configured as you normally ride, I don't believe that the weight of the windshield is significant enough to make much difference. There is nothing magic about reaching 33% sag, it's more of a rule of thumb. Some guys like it stiffer, and some prefer a softer ride. Rather than adjusting sag to hit a specific number you should be focused on finding a sag that meet's your riding style.

+1 on the lighter spring. I let Dan talk me into a 1kg spring (I'm 250lbs), and I'm sure that I would be better off with a lighter spring.

As for those using a Pela or other marine oil pump, you can just use your pump to set the fluid level with the forks still in the trees. Put a tie-wrap around the intake tube and set it at the desired depth, then move it down about 1/8 inch to compensate for the fact that the fork tube is not vertical. Place the intake tube along the rear of the fork tube, resting the tie-wrap on top of the tube. Over-fill the tube by just a little and use the pump to bring it back to the desired level. It's far more important to have the same level in both tubes than it is to have an exact amount of fluid.

I saw in a recent post (in a different thread) stating to add fluid with the forks extended. I did this by accident and the front end rides like a brick! To set the oil level you need to have the forks fully compressed. You may find that the intiminators tend to rise up in the fork when burping out any air trapped by the oil, just push them back down before setting the final oil level.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:59 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
While it's true that you'll get the most accurate sag setting with the bike configured as you normally ride, I don't believe that the weight of the windshield is significant enough to make much difference. There is nothing magic about reaching 33% sag, it's more of a rule of thumb. Some guys like it stiffer, and some prefer a softer ride. Rather than adjusting sag to hit a specific number you should be focused on finding a sag that meet's your riding style.

+1 on the lighter spring. I let Dan talk me into a 1kg spring (I'm 250lbs), and I'm sure that I would be better off with a lighter spring.

As for those using a Pela or other marine oil pump, you can just use your pump to set the fluid level with the forks still in the trees. Put a tie-wrap around the intake tube and set it at the desired depth, then move it down about 1/8 inch to compensate for the fact that the fork tube is not vertical. Place the intake tube along the rear of the fork tube, resting the tie-wrap on top of the tube. Over-fill the tube by just a little and use the pump to bring it back to the desired level. It's far more important to have the same level in both tubes than it is to have an exact amount of fluid.

I saw in a recent post (in a different thread) stating to add fluid with the forks extended. I did this by accident and the front end rides like a brick! To set the oil level you need to have the forks fully compressed. You may find that the intiminators tend to rise up in the fork when burping out any air trapped by the oil, just push them back down before setting the final oil level.
Thanks!
I emailed Dan about the spring, they're back in the office on the 2nd. I'm sure there won't be a problem with swapping out just wasted shipping. I'm the one that said .9's and he just agreed that would probably be good so my bad on that end. The RSD's haven't shipped yet anyway so hopefully all works out well timing wise. I'm not in too big a hurry, and have a cam swap to do first once the holiday period is over and I can get a day off.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:19 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

Gettin ready to start my suspension and want to do this setup. Whats the word on the works triple rate springs? I've had a few people tell me to go that route instead of the single rates. Any info would be appreciated.

-Chris

Old 02-14-2015, 06:14 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

You may want to reach out to squidhead, he had them for a while and said that were well worth it. He's the only one that I know if with side to side comparison.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:38 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead.Chris
Hey guys,

Gettin ready to start my suspension and want to do this setup. Whats the word on the works triple rate springs? I've had a few people tell me to go that route instead of the single rates. Any info would be appreciated.

-Chris
I really preferred the Work triple rates over the single rate. Fabrik8r says progressive wind springs prevent the Ricors from performing as designed. I suppose the same should be true for dual/triple rates, but the ride quality was much better for me personally.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
I really preferred the Work triple rates over the single rate. Fabrik8r says progressive wind springs prevent the Ricors from performing as designed. I suppose the same should be true for dual/triple rates, but the ride quality was much better for me personally.

Thanks for the info Squid. Did you get the works Springs with same specs as your single rates?

-Chris

Old 03-22-2015, 03:37 PM
tonebone_79
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got about 150 miles on my ricor/ traxxion set-up so far and i am very happy with the results. Better handling and more comfort!

2013 FXDB
190lb rider

Ricor Intiminators
.90 Traxxion Springs
Amsoil 10 - 125mm from top with forks compressed, springs out, intiminators in
Speed Merchant preload adjusters
Stock spacer cut to 5 5/8" long

Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead.Chris
Thanks for the info Squid. Did you get the works Springs with same specs as your single rates?

-Chris
Sorry, I didn't notice your question. The Works triple rate kit is a one size fits all, but it has "tuning" spacers with it. The road feel changes depending on the sequence you install them. You still need a top spacer to set sag.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:31 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
This brings up a dilemma to me, everybody takes Fabrik8r's conclusion on straight vs progressive rate as gospel - has Brian or anybody who designed the Intiminators agreed with this conclusion? I respect Fabrik8r's knowledge but sometimes even the expert disagree on what is best....

Quick Reply: Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion Straight Rate Springs