Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Brake light stays on (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/961632-brake-light-stays-on.html)

jhensley3300 04-27-2014 08:53 AM

Brake light stays on

89 fxr brake light is lit all the time. I don't know where to start. I believe everything worked as it should until I installed a new throttle tube (but I'm not sure). I also recently changed my headlight. I think I've screwed something up in one of those two places... Any tips on what and how to check it?

Northern Glide 04-27-2014 09:05 AM

First thing I would check is your front brake stop light switch. Is it functioning properly? Mine got sticky on a 99 sporty and would stay on.

RANGER73 04-27-2014 09:26 AM

Any work done on the bars?
First thing I'd do is unplug the wires from the rear foot brake switch on the master cylinder and see if it goes off. If not, it's the front switch in the housing with the start button, that one's a bitch to replace.

TexasScooterTrash 04-27-2014 09:45 AM

You installed a new throttle sleeve and missed a step putting it back together. You need to hold the front brake lever in while tightening the control/clamps. The front brake lever is holding your switch on.

rooti 04-27-2014 10:04 AM

You installed a new throttle sleeve and missed a step putting it back together. You need to hold the front brake lever in while tightening the control/clamps. The front brake lever is holding your switch on.

Yep thats it. Take the brake lever off and push in the little micro switch underneath and turn on the ignition and watch the brake light go off. Sometimes if you don't have the brake lever in the exact position it won't hold the button in. Button in is what shuts off the brake light. When the button is out the brake light comes on.

jhensley3300 04-27-2014 05:40 PM

I unplugged the rear and brake light still stayed on. When I changed the throttle sleeve I don't think I messed with the brake at all. Can't. Remember but I will check that next but my throttle and brake are separate.

jhensley3300 04-27-2014 06:41 PM

Thank you Texas Scooter Trash and rooti!!! Problem solved!!!

Andjh123 04-27-2014 08:20 PM

Keep an eye on that switch as you rack up the miles. I think it was around 35 or 40k miles on mine that vibration/general wear and tear had worn it down enough that it no longer made sufficient contact to keep the light off.

jhensley3300 04-27-2014 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash (Post 12647328)

Thank you Texas Scooter trash!!! Problem solved!!!

jhensley3300 04-27-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rooti (Post 12647406)
Yep thats it. Take the brake lever off and push in the little micro switch underneath and turn on the ignition and watch the brake light go off. Sometimes if you don't have the brake lever in the exact position it won't hold the button in. Button in is what shuts off the brake light. When the button is out the brake light comes on.

Thar fixed it. Thank you rooti!!!