Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
iwantalowrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another '06 lowrider owner and love it. I had to replace my IPB (full monty from MOCO) and while they had it open I had them replace the stator (even my bolted one was still good at the time). Sorry, but I won't be trading my low for anything else, love it.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an early TC. 1999 with 35K and still going strong. I did the tensioners at 34k just for peace of mind. Spent about 300 in parts and did the work myself.

Twin cams are pretty rock solid.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a 06 dyna too. Yep the rotor failed on me i repaired the unit by replacing the stator and welded up the bolts. Apparently some of the last 06's had good ipb's. Mine has not gave me any troubles and i ride it pretty hard. So i say yeppers for a 8 year old bike ir been very good indeed.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:04 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2002 Wide Glide with 88' twin cam. Just turned 18000 and runs like a top. Had a few problems when I bought it used but were previous owner f ups and not engine related. I get attached to things and own things long term so I look forward to many more years with the old wide glide

Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
McPlaid
Cruiser

I have a 14 FXDB ITS AMAZING COMPAIRED TO MY SPORTSTER. It's my sportster a big brother in every way. But I just read something someone posted on the new low riders, I guess they totally re did the suspension to make a really amazing ride with all the benifets of still being a dyna. And the guy was talking about he put a lot of money into his other bikes suspension and seat and was still blown away by the new low rider. Go for new IMO that way you know how it was broken in and what not

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all sounds good, sounds like the rumors are overblown, If I get one though I'll be sure to run an oil cooler & synthetics just to be safe. Although I will run the bike pretty aggressively so hope it holds up, I usually don't run high rpms, just heavy on the throttle.. I probably just want to do a louder muffler but keep everything as much stock as possible.

yes the new lowrider is just getting awesome reviews all around and I love the bike, love the dual discs, love the size, love the mag wheels, love the 70's style, love the chrome on the motor, and price is so much cheaper than the wide glide..... just needs forwards, windshield & oil cooler,. kind of wish they made more color options though, but all black is sexy..

The sportsters have some problem parts but nothing serious, clutch, stator, & starter are crap, 2 of those 3 failed on mine before 14,000 miles and I have all of those replaced with aftermarket,

I drive it really hard and a lot of miles, 75 miles commuting every day,.,

here's my sportster, currently has 16,900 miles..

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 07-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I might get blasted for saying this, but if I wasnt 6ft tall and 260lbs I would prefer a Sportster over a Dyna. The Sporty just handles better due to frame design. Alas, I havent been 5ft 6 and 150 lbs since I as in middle school so a Dyna is my choice.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
McPlaid
Cruiser

I have heard that going till the first 5k service on regular oil for the break in, and the way I understood it is it works too well... So what the hell that's what I'm going to do, then go to full synthetic.

Also I'm 6 foot and about 210 and had an iron 883 only until last month, really only reason I went bigger was I was looking into getting forwards and bigger bars, then started looking at the 72s and almost got one but only my taste is for the more darkest out look and the 72s have a lot of chrome. Looks great on there but the street bob caught my eye and I saw it was really almost nothing more compaired to how much more you get and then... I rode it was all over from there hahahaha

Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For one, if you do upgrade, Don't worry about an oil cooler. Most models tend to get in the way of the motor blocking the wind it needs to cool itself, and second, they only work when the bike is moving, in which case the fins of the motor do their job.
And as far as waiting 5k for your first service, that's ridiculous. There's no reason to keep the same oil in there that long. That first 1k miles with motor break in is going to be about the limits of that oil. You can run conventional oil in it again if you want or switch to synthetic.
Just my o2.
PS, my vote is a street Bob.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
McPlaid
Cruiser

Not keeping the same oil sorry, just use regular oil at the 1k service and then switch to syn at the 5k, I would have to find it again but it was a write up on it, and it got really involved on the molecular level on the surfaces and what not. Sounded good so yeah there it is lol

Quick Reply: Twin Cam Motor Problems