Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Forward Controls to Footboards (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/988865-forward-controls-to-footboards.html)

sgr60 08-02-2014 08:42 PM

Forward Controls to Footboards

Has anyone made the switch from forward controls to footboards (Rider Footboard Kit-50500247)?

I think I want to make the change, but I want to make sure that I won't be missing parts - i.e. if any of the original mid control parts would be needed that I no longer have since I've already made the change to forwards.

CryingJoker 08-02-2014 09:25 PM

I went from forwards to floorboards on my fat bob and everything was straightforward and included

hAkron 08-02-2014 10:13 PM

If already have forwads, then the worst part of the job is done (the taller shift arm is already installed). It's just a simple matter of bolting the forwards on to the bike, attaching the shifter spline, and the rear brake arm.

Maybe you are looking for a set of gently used Dyna rider forward controls at a big discount over new? If so, PM me, I just moved back to forwards from foot boards and I have them in a box.

hAkron 08-02-2014 10:17 PM

Also, I see in your signature you have a 2005 FXDI - you might be out of luck. That kit is for 2006 up.

Carl '69 08-02-2014 10:45 PM

Kit says '06-up, but bolted up to my '02 like it was made for it.

Robtarra39 08-02-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Carl '69 (Post 13060561)
Kit says '06-up, but bolted up to my '02 like it was made for it.

Bolted right up to my 02 also

dmacias 08-14-2014 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sgr60 (Post 13060094)
Has anyone made the switch from forward controls to footboards (Rider Footboard Kit-50500247)?

I think I want to make the change, but I want to make sure that I won't be missing parts - i.e. if any of the original mid control parts would be needed that I no longer have since I've already made the change to forwards.

That kit includes everything you need to go from mid to footboards. But if you already have fowards then you wouldn't need to remove the primary. So you'd have some left over gaskets and parts. It uses the mid and forward mount points and has all the brake and shifter parts minus the heel shifter, which you could get a single heel/toe or a longer spline and add a heel shifter. I believe this kit is 2.5" more forward than others and the mid bracket goes under exhaust instead of over.

You could just remove the forward controls if you get this and sell as a complete set.

JDisME 08-14-2014 10:31 AM

I have forwards on my '14 Street Bob and was thinking about floorboards but don't they mount to the same place as the forwards??

dmacias 08-14-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JDisME (Post 13102234)
I have forwards on my '14 Street Bob and was thinking about floorboards but don't they mount to the same place as the forwards??

Yes they mount to the same place and use the mid mount point on the frame also. You would just remove the forward controls, mounts and linkage then install 50500247 dyna rider footboard kit. And you could sell your forward controls.

JamesRHey 08-14-2014 11:01 AM

I was just thinking of doing this to my Fatbob the other day. But $400 is a but steep. Let us know how the install goes and what you think of them after.

perki48 08-14-2014 11:08 AM

I put them on my 07' Wideglide and they are the best mod I have done. Very simple install. I took my time and did it in about 45 minutes. Be aware that they will not work with some exhaust such as the 2-1 on newer Wideglides without modification.

perki48 08-14-2014 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JamesRHey (Post 13102329)
I was just thinking of doing this to my Fatbob the other day. But $400 is a but steep. Let us know how the install goes and what you think of them after.

As I mentioned to OP, WILL NOT work with some exhaust. So be careful and do the research before you buy.

JamesRHey 08-14-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13102355)
As I mentioned to OP, WILL NOT work with some exhaust. So be careful and do the research before you buy.

I saw that, thank you. The HD kit won't work with my Big Radius 2-1 pipes. But there are other options.

sgr60 08-21-2014 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies - looks like good news. I was away for a few weeks, but I'm hoping to get working on this pretty soon. Sounds like it won't be much trouble at all (famous last words).

Id.Fat Bob 08-22-2014 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13102348)
I put them on my 07' Wideglide and they are the best mod I have done. Very simple install. I took my time and did it in about 45 minutes. Be aware that they will not work with some exhaust such as the 2-1 on newer Wideglides without modification.

I don't see why these will not fit on my 12 FB as, in the catalog, it doesn't say they will NOT fit an FXDF! SOOOooo, I ordered them anyway and will get back to you guys on results! It may be something they left out...who knows! BTW, I have forwards from the factory so will have extra parts in the kit like the longer shift link, longer brake rod and such! Crossing fingers now!

perki48 08-22-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob (Post 13131575)
I don't see why these will not fit on my 12 FB as, in the catalog, it doesn't say they will NOT fit an FXDF! SOOOooo, I ordered them anyway and will get back to you guys on results! It may be something they left out...who knows! BTW, I have forwards from the factory so will have extra parts in the kit like the longer shift link, longer brake rod and such! Crossing fingers now!

They will work and you will love them.
The problem is they will not work with STOCK exhaust without modification. Several have installed them on WideGlides and Fatbobs by building "spacers" to move the exhaust side mounts out just a bit to clear the exhaust. Good luck with yours it will be worth the extra effort to get them on.

jmb79 08-22-2014 12:43 PM

Would like to see pictures of these installed if anyone has some.

AZFXDF 08-22-2014 12:52 PM

I installed them on my 12 Fatbob. Had to grind a portion of the heatshield to accommodate the rear support. https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c7dd0a2b98.jpg

Id.Fat Bob 08-22-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AZFXDF (Post 13131841)
I installed them on my 12 Fatbob. Had to grind a portion of the heatshield to accommodate the rear support.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c7dd0a2b98.jpg

Sweet! Was that before or after you mounted those pipes? Thanks for posting this!

AZFXDF 08-22-2014 04:19 PM

I installed the pipes first. Loosely installed the rear bracket so I would know where to notch the heat shield. Then removed the heat shield. Make sure to notch it big enough or the heat shield will rub on the bracket when the engine torques.

203Cree 08-22-2014 06:41 PM

Little hammer work and some grinding and it'll clear most exhausts.

I have some bar stock I made some 1/2 inch spacers out of and that made a lot of room for mine. Still had to massage the exhaust a bit.

Id.Fat Bob 08-22-2014 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by AZFXDF (Post 13132490)
I installed the pipes first. Loosely installed the rear bracket so I would know where to notch the heat shield. Then removed the heat shield. Make sure to notch it big enough or the heat shield will rub on the bracket when the engine torques.

Good info...thank you for posting this! I plan on installing them with the stock head pipe and heat shields! They will either fit or I'm gonna trade this sucker off for a Fat Boy! Thanks again!

Id.Fat Bob 08-22-2014 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13131691)
They will work and you will love them.
The problem is they will not work with STOCK exhaust without modification. Several have installed them on WideGlides and Fatbobs by building "spacers" to move the exhaust side mounts out just a bit to clear the exhaust. Good luck with yours it will be worth the extra effort to get them on.

Like I said...crossing fingers...Thanks for the info!

perki48 08-22-2014 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob (Post 13132911)
Like I said...crossing fingers...Thanks for the info!

Finally found an Example I was looking for, check post #66.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...0500247-7.html

Id.Fat Bob 08-23-2014 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13133065)
Finally found an Example I was looking for, check post #66.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...0500247-7.html

Hell...I'm not gonna go thru all that sh!t, so looks like I'm gonna trade it off! Too bad too, as I really like this Dyna! I just can't get my right leg to cooperate! Can't really get comfortable and that limits me to shorter rides! Getting too old I guess! Life is a b!tch...then ya get hit by one!

203Cree 08-23-2014 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob (Post 13133719)
Hell...I'm not gonna go thru all that sh!t, so looks like I'm gonna trade it off! Too bad too, as I really like this Dyna! I just can't get my right leg to cooperate! Can't really get comfortable and that limits me to shorter rides! Getting too old I guess! Life is a b!tch...then ya get hit by one!

Or you could go the much cheaper and more reasonable route of just changing the exhaust. :icon_rolleyes:

skinman13 08-23-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by hAkron (Post 13060469)
If already have forwads, then the worst part of the job is done (the taller shift arm is already installed). It's just a simple matter of bolting the forwards on to the bike, attaching the shifter spline, and the rear brake arm.

Maybe you are looking for a set of gently used Dyna rider forward controls at a big discount over new? If so, PM me, I just moved back to forwards from foot boards and I have them in a box.

I need a set of Dyna forward controls if you are still looking to sell them.

perki48 08-23-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 203Cree (Post 13133933)
Or you could go the much cheaper and more reasonable route of just changing the exhaust. :icon_rolleyes:

Agreed, don't get rid of a bike you really like. If nothing else Stock exhaust off of any dyna except Fatbob or 09'+ Wideglide will work and they are available cheap.

I also think I saw where someone was just able to move the footboard mounts out with a simple spacer to make them work. Don't give up.

Id.Fat Bob 08-23-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13134780)
Agreed, don't get rid of a bike you really like. If nothing else Stock exhaust off of any dyna except Fatbob or 09'+ Wideglide will work and they are available cheap.

I also think I saw where someone was just able to move the footboard mounts out with a simple spacer to make them work. Don't give up.

So I need some stock 12 SB pipes and mounting hardware? What a can of worms! The story of my life lately!

perki48 08-23-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob (Post 13135298)
So I need some stock 12 SB pipes and mounting hardware? What a can of worms! The story of my life lately!

You were warned, good luck whatever you do.

HYPR 08-23-2014 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob (Post 13133719)

I did the switch well before there was a kit. I simply went through the parts catalog and bolted it all together. Since I had V&H Staggered's at the time I ended up needing to clearence the right rear mount about .75" to clear the rear pipe. Other than that everything almost bolted right on. The ride is extremely comfortable. Now of course they offer the kit which sells for about $30 less than the total of the parts priced each ala cart. They have been on the bike since one week after I bought the bike new.
Bob

swedefour 08-24-2014 02:16 PM

I added them to the 2011 Fatbob - had to use a spacer on the inside connection due to Propipe exhaust. Also sometimes I scrape on turns but its a good item to add for the long rides.

RigardtWG 08-26-2014 10:26 AM

Mini Floorboards

I have a wide glide with forward controls, don't love the look of floorboards on a dyna so I just replaced my forward pegs with mini floorboards (makes quites a big difference) and then just added mid mount foot pegs for another place to put my feet. I find it works quite well, especially on the long rides. Not everyone loves how it looks but i quite like it and its a very cheap option for those that don't wanna speand too much cash, all you have to buy is the mid mounts, and mini floorboards. Re-use ure stock pegs on the mid mounts and add mini floorboards to the forward mounts. Will post pics later this week.

perki48 08-26-2014 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RigardtWG (Post 13145068)
I have a wide glide with forward controls, don't love the look of floorboards on a dyna so I just replaced my forward pegs with mini floorboards (makes quites a big difference) and then just added mid mount foot pegs for another place to put my feet. I find it works quite well, especially on the long rides. Not everyone loves how it looks but i quite like it and its a very cheap option for those that don't wanna speand too much cash, all you have to buy is the mid mounts, and mini floorboards. Re-use ure stock pegs on the mid mounts and add mini floorboards to the forward mounts. Will post pics later this week.

You forgot to mention "denting" the heat shields to clear the mid mounts on a Wideglide. At least up to an 08'.

RigardtWG 08-26-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13145283)
You forgot to mention "denting" the heat shields to clear the mid mounts on a Wideglide. At least up to an 08'.

Got a 2010 WG with V&H Big Radius 2 into 2, had no problems with clearance.

perki48 08-26-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RigardtWG (Post 13145523)
Got a 2010 WG with V&H Big Radius 2 into 2, had no problems with clearance.

I have a 2007 WG with stock exhaust. Stock WG did not have the "relief" built into the shields like other Dynas had. I did the same as you and put mids on my WG for another place to locate my feet. It worked very well but I enjoy the Switchback boards much more than any other method I tried.

Id.Fat Bob 08-27-2014 03:13 AM

Throwing Money at it!

So, Perki. How's life up in Sand Point? I cooled down some and decided to just get my wallet out and buy some Rinehart Cross Backs! They don't get anywhere near the damned rear mount! The kit outta fly right on...famous last words! Also, the last Fat Boy they had at the HD store was over 19 grand! That may have affected my decision some...maybe! Stay real man...CU on the road maybe, if you stray down to the south land!

RigardtWG 08-27-2014 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13145538)
I have a 2007 WG with stock exhaust. Stock WG did not have the "relief" built into the shields like other Dynas had. I did the same as you and put mids on my WG for another place to locate my feet. It worked very well but I enjoy the Switchback boards much more than any other method I tried.

At the end of the day there is no substitution for boards when it comes to comfort, and if you like that look then definitely the way to go!

perki48 08-27-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob (Post 13147985)
So, Perki. How's life up in Sand Point? I cooled down some and decided to just get my wallet out and buy some Rinehart Cross Backs! They don't get anywhere near the damned rear mount! The kit outta fly right on...famous last words! Also, the last Fat Boy they had at the HD store was over 19 grand! That may have affected my decision some...maybe! Stay real man...CU on the road maybe, if you stray down to the south land!

Glad you kept your bike, exhaust is much less expensive than ANY new bike would be. If you get up this way let me know.

Id.Fat Bob 08-27-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by perki48 (Post 13149408)
Glad you kept your bike, exhaust is much less expensive than ANY new bike would be. If you get up this way let me know.

I'll do it...only thing holding me back is my bladder!