Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

another ThunderMax ECM install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another ThunderMax ECM install

After much research, I decided to put a ThunderMax ECM on my bike. I've got an '03 Fatboy stage 1 download, Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes, and a Doherty Powerpacc. It ran ok for the 3 years I ran it with just the stage 1 download, but it pops on decel and ran 260 oil temps on hot days. I initially went with the V&H Fuelpak, which sucked. It stumbled bad rolling on in 3rd gear. After getting fed up with it I took it off and looked for an alternative. I went with the ThunderMax with the intention of going to a 95 build and the AutoTune at some point in the future.

I initially had problems where I couldn't get my laptop to link up with the ECM. Here's where the ThunderMax support comes in handy. They're great! We eventually decided it had to be a bad serial cable and they sent me out a new one. A week later I had the new cable and the linking problems were gone. Today I did the initial install of letting it idle to 289 degrees head temp while it auto adjusted the IAC stops. I then took it out for a spin. WOW! So this is what my bike is supposed to run like. I was only able to do a 20 mile ride, but I had zero popping and it accelerates much quicker. Starting out I thought the speedo calibration was wrong because I was doing 70 in 4th gear but the RPMs sounded too low. In fact, I was already in 5th gear and didn't know it because I had flipped through the gears so quickly! I can't believe what a difference it is. I won't know for sure about oil temps and performance until we're in the 100 degree days of summer, but so far I am thoroughly impressed and would definitely recommend the ThunderMax. With the exception of my cable problem, it truly is plug and play.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: another ThunderMax ECM install

I'm giving that option a serious look. I would really like to know
how that setup works with the autotuner. I've been holding out
for something with wide band O2 sensors. Everything I've read,
sounds like this is the way to go. $825 is more than the ol' lady
is going to let me spend. I got some overtime coming in so maybe
soon. All I got to do then is tell the UPS guy to keep his mouth
shut........another story!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Reading nothing but positive reviews of the AutoTune convinced me. If I had pipes with bungs in them I'd already have it.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
hjdistl
Advanced

ORIGINAL: mikec

I'm giving that option a serious look. I would really like to know
how that setup works with the autotuner. I've been holding out
for something with wide band O2 sensors. Everything I've read,
sounds like this is the way to go. $825 is more than the ol' lady
is going to let me spend. I got some overtime coming in so maybe
soon. All I got to do then is tell the UPS guy to keep his mouth
shut........another story!
I have a 06 Dyna SG. Put the TM on in July and then added the AT on in November. It just gets better everytime I drive it. Best money you will spend on your scoot. Check their web site. They have some refurbished ones with AT for 739. Same warranty, Money back guarantee etc.

You will not believe how good your bike will run.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't let the lack of O2 bungs stop you.
It cost me $20.00 to have them welded in at a local muffler shop.

the refurb units are $729.00, everythingis new exceptthe case that the ECM is in, so the case may have some marks in it, but all of the electronics are brand new!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank

After much research, I decided to put a ThunderMax ECM on my bike. I've got an '03 Fatboy stage 1 download, Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes, and a Doherty Powerpacc. It ran ok for the 3 years I ran it with just the stage 1 download, but it pops on decel and ran 260 oil temps on hot days. I initially went with the V&H Fuelpak, which sucked. It stumbled bad rolling on in 3rd gear. After getting fed up with it I took it off and looked for an alternative. I went with the ThunderMax with the intention of going to a 95 build and the AutoTune at some point in the future.

I initially had problems where I couldn't get my laptop to link up with the ECM. Here's where the ThunderMax support comes in handy. They're great! We eventually decided it had to be a bad serial cable and they sent me out a new one. A week later I had the new cable and the linking problems were gone. Today I did the initial install of letting it idle to 289 degrees head temp while it auto adjusted the IAC stops. I then took it out for a spin. WOW! So this is what my bike is supposed to run like. I was only able to do a 20 mile ride, but I had zero popping and it accelerates much quicker. Starting out I thought the speedo calibration was wrong because I was doing 70 in 4th gear but the RPMs sounded too low. In fact, I was already in 5th gear and didn't know it because I had flipped through the gears so quickly! I can't believe what a difference it is. I won't know for sure about oil temps and performance until we're in the 100 degree days of summer, but so far I am thoroughly impressed and would definitely recommend the ThunderMax. With the exception of my cable problem, it truly is plug and play.
Do you know what it's done for your gas mileage? Can you still lean it out if you need to?

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, you can make it more lean at any throttle position or RPM.
the software is pretty easy to use.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
hjdistl
Advanced

Taterdog,

You can do all kinds of neat things with it. Set the overall AFR at say 13. Then you can go in and change the AFR value in 256 RPM increments based on your TPS.

I installed the Thundermax in July of 2006 and the bike ran the best it ever had Mileage remained the same for most parts but went down some only because I could not resist the urge to constantly get on it because it was running so good. The Autotune came out in Nov and I put it on MPG seemed to go back to the original with me still grabbing a hand full all teh time. I have not played with the different AFR's for teh RPM's because teh weather turned to crap before I could. I have 500 + miles on teh AutoTune and it has been great. Bike sounds different runs smoother etc.

With the 30 day money back guarantee you will not get stuck with it if you do not like it.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Speed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<------------- another satisfied Thundermax user!

Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hjdistl, I read your review on the website. Sounds really good. My problem is I have an '00 Classic with the Magnetti Marelli EFI, so it looks like I would have to go with their conversion kit. Also, I don't know if the autotune would work with my bike or not. Maybe it will if I add their kit. Dang, it sure sounds good.

Quick Reply: another ThunderMax ECM install