Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

02 Ultra classic Eletrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 PM
Shawn Feuerstein
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ultra classic Eletrical problems

Bought a 2000 ultra about six months ago. It's been siting in a barn for about five years. It was running well up till a month ago. First the left signal stopped blinking. No bulb problems. Then I noticed that the the radio when turned up started to transmit the sound of the engine through the speakers. Two weeks ago while commuting all power went out for about 30 seconds. Leaving me in the commuter lane with no shoulder. Called the dealer they said that the fuse box had been upgraded. Today when leaving a restaurant started just fine I let out the clutch lost all power. Four times in a row. Just to see the oil gage was pegged. I think I've noticed a correlation between the radio noise and then comes the lose of electrical power. Anyone hear of this? Answers? Battery cables have been tightened.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Is the bike carbed or fuel injected? I am not sure what you mean when the dealer said the fuse box had been upgraded. You should try to find out more than that, and this would be my first area of suspect. A couple of things I would check would be the grounds on the bike. Circuit breaker and relays. ignition switch. Test charging system.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Shawn Feuerstein
Stage III

Originally Posted by larsfum
Is the bike carbed or fuel injected? I am not sure what you mean when the dealer said the fuse box had been upgraded. You should try to find out more than that, and this would be my first area of suspect. A couple of things I would check would be the grounds on the bike. Circuit breaker and relays. ignition switch. Test charging system.
sorry I haven't replied, new to this posting stuff. Update checked the stator it's good. Replaced the VR still no spark,changed Crank sensor still no spark put a new main breaker 50 amp ,no spark( upgrade I was talking about). No power coming from fuel pump g/y wire changed. New England breaker worked just long enough to have me pushing the bike a mile back home. Changed the fuel breaker starts up fine. Now I'm notiicing that my oil guard stays pegged. My oil is about a quart low and I'm hearing a slight chain clatter ( I think) just put new eagle cam plate Andrew 21 cams new bearings and pump. All grounds are tight. When running sounds fine except the new slight chain noise. May be two different problems but can one problem be causing the other?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Shawn Feuerstein
Stage III

Originally Posted by Shawn Feuerstein
sorry I haven't replied, new to this posting stuff. Update checked the stator it's good. Replaced the VR still no spark,changed Crank sensor still no spark put a new main breaker 50 amp ,no spark( upgrade I was talking about). No power coming from fuel pump g/y wire changed. New England breaker worked just long enough to have me pushing the bike a mile back home. Changed the fuel breaker starts up fine. Now I'm notiicing that my oil guard stays pegged. My oil is about a quart low and I'm hearing a slight chain clatter ( I think) just put new eagle cam plate Andrew 21 cams new bearings and pump. All grounds are tight. When running sounds fine except the new slight chain noise. May be two different problems but can one problem be causing the other?
oh yeah, it is EFI