Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2020 Low Rider S cranks but won’t start after Handlebar install. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:32 PM
Raider4
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2020 Low Rider S cranks but won’t start after Handlebar install. Help!

Hello All,

Could use some advice/help. After my recent handlebar install (14” LA chopper T-bars) my bike will crank but won’t start. Install was done as follows:

1. Disconnected control/signal/throttle harnesses and removed from stock bars
2. DEpinned all wiring from harnesses
3. Ran all wiring from control/signal/throttle harnesses through new handlebars
4. REpinned all wiring back into harnesses. Those were then plugged into the harness extensions, which were then plugged into the main harness leading into the frame (shown in photos)
5. Hit run switch, everything turned on (fuel pump, etc) then Checked Signals (Left front/rear = worked) (Right front = worked BUT right rear = did NOT work)
6. Hit ignition, just cranked and cranked and cranked. NO turn over/fire up.

*NOTE* I did forget to disconnect battery on wiring install (honest mistake). I did get get error codes, but I cleared them. I also don’t have an upper clutch cable put on (in the mail) but that shouldn’t effect the bike turning on right?

7. I then disconnected battery fully and looked for fuse box but could not find it?
8. Located main fuse on left side of seat behind the paneling, however I only saw 4 total fuses in two different harnesses (40, 7.5, 5 = main) (7.5 = system) But still no fuse box.

*NOTE* I did recheck all my work with the wiring 4 times. Made sure all pins were seated correctly in the connectors, and even DEpinned, RE pinned, and connected them again in the wiring coming from the right side controls (CAN-BUS).

Questions:
- Is it wiring, a fuse, or something else?
- I found only 4 fuses, where is the main fuse box located? (because I cannot find it and I searched everywhere including the internet haha)

*NOTE* This bike is brand new (516 miles) and the only two installs have been the handlebars and TBR 2-1 exhaust

Control/signal/throttle wiring harnesses plugged into Extensions

Extensions into frame harness

Battery disconnect (Pain in the butt) but where is the fuse box!?!?

Last edited by Raider4; 04-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Question: did everything work correctly before you started? If so then it can all work correctly again, once you have sorted things out! Unfortunately questions like yours are common after owners change bars themselves. Does everything work now, except the engine not starting? If so I suggest you check electrical continuity of the kill-switch wiring, as a starting point.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Unfortunately you're going to have to "double-check" wiring pin-outs/connections to ensure (1) they're 100% correct & (2) seated. Also, your Owner's Manual should show "all" fuse locations...find them & check f/ blown fuses. In the future, electrical wiring 101, ensure you disconnect the power source...guessing you popped something/somewhere. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2020, 10:43 AM
Raider4
Intermediate

Ok I checked those fuses again, they appeared to be fine but I replaced them anyway with fresh fuses.

-put battery back in
-turned on (now it’s giving me some error codes)
-still just cranking no turn over

Questions:
-I’m 99% sure my wiring is correct, but Can anyone verify the ordering of the control wiring? (red, black, red w/white, black w/white)

some pics:

Fuses from clutch side of the bike under the panel (are there other fuses on the bike or is the “fuse box”?)

Right hand controls/run switch wiring connector (left) and right hand controls wiring connector (right)

How the pins are sitting in the connectors (seem to be seated just fine, heard the click on each one)

Signal wiring connectors w/pins seated correctly.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Raider4
Intermediate

By the way The error codes were:

-U0141h (Lost Comm w/ LHCM)
-B2141h (Left turn signal open)
-B2146h (right turn signal open)
-B2156h (right rear signal open)

Old 04-25-2020, 11:13 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Have a factory manual with wiring? I would go that route and check everything. You likely have crossed or broken wires. When something goes wrong, always consider your last move.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Raider4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Have a factory manual with wiring? I would go that route and check everything. You likely have crossed or broken wires. When something goes wrong, always consider your last move.
When you say crossed wires, what exactly are you referring to cause when I DEpinned everything I wrapped that set of wires in electrical tape to prevent separation and then ran them through the bars and reconnected back into harnesses

Old 04-25-2020, 03:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Lightbulb

Raider, you keep turning to us for help, but the best source of that is most likely yourself! Even if every wire goes to where it should do and there are no cross-overs, there is no guarantee that electrical continuity is good along each and every wire. Until you check them with a suitable multimeter we will go round in circles! Your query is common and comes up somewhere around HDF probably every week, if not more often. The sad fact is you have most likely introduced a wiring error while making your mods and you have yet to thoroughly check your handiwork to isolate it.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:46 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

why did you de-pin the can-bus connections? They are small enough to fit thru the bars as is. The older connectors were a bit of a pain but the new ones are a breeze as they DON"T have to be de-pinned.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Raider4
Intermediate

I DEpinned on right hand controls because I was fitting 3 wiring harnesses through one small hole on the handlebars (Signal, controls, and throttle wiring - this model is throttle by wiring).

Quick Reply: 2020 Low Rider S cranks but won’t start after Handlebar install. Help!