Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Fob's just stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 03:13 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,451 Likes on 2,583 Posts

Originally Posted by David Adams
I replaced the battery a couple of months ago, putting everything back where it belongs and have done a lot of riding since then with no problems. I rode last weekend with no issues. The bike is parked at the head of my garage where I park it in the Winter months, when I let my wife's car in. Never had an issue before. I went out this week and went to use the Stereo while Bar-B-Qing and got the "enter pin" message. Checked the other fob, with same result. Bought brand new batteries, Duracell 2032's, and nothing. I'm not sure how to test the "coin" style battery.
Just like any other battery. Multi tester with one positive end on the positive face and the ground lead on the back. I test all my batteries. Bought too many new ones to find out they were weak or dead.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:44 PM
David Adams
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I took her out for a rip, using the pin to turn her on. When I took off it said "No Fob". I pulled into the garage and turned her off, and when I turned her back on she acted like the fob was working. But when I turned her off and turned her on again, back to "Enter Pin". Took the seat off and checked the antenna, it seems ok. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Still no good.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:05 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, I took her out for a rip, using the pin to turn her on. When I took off it said "No Fob". I pulled into the garage and turned her off, and when I turned her back on she acted like the fob was working. But when I turned her off and turned her on again, back to "Enter Pin". Took the seat off and checked the antenna, it seems ok. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Still no good.
Confirm the battery is good and then clean the the contacts inside the fob. Make sure they are tight against the battery. Then you can eliminate the fob as being a problem.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:11 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,746 Likes on 2,407 Posts

It would seem strange that both fobs would just stop working.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:15 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,630 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Just to eliminate the possibility of RF interference from your house/garage, repeat the above procedure without returning home. Stop in an isolated area void of possible interference.

The following users liked this post:
Kawickrice (12-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:16 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
It would seem strange that both fobs would just stop working.
Not impossible. I bought a whole pack that was bad. Been on the shelf for a long time. But also I read "the fob" (singular) in OP's last post.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,746 Likes on 2,407 Posts

And I quote, "I have two fob's for my 2015 Ultra Limited. I thought the batteries were going, so I replaced them both only to find that even with fresh batteries they no longer work."

A reputable battery make tends to not self discharge but if it happened to you fair enough. I would check batteries in the future with a meter then just to be sure they are good.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,324 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Did you check for DTCs?

Old 12-27-2020, 02:16 PM
David Adams
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

DTC's? I'm hoping your not suggesting I check for Dick Tickling ****hairs.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:20 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Wait for it.....

Quick Reply: Fob's just stopped working.