Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

speedometer buzzing/clicking/humming - but not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
2004hdflstf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer buzzing/clicking/humming - but not working

Can anyone please help - electrical is not my strong suit....

While riding my speedometer began to sweep the dial eratically and then fall to zero.... this happened intermittently during the ride.

when I arrived home and parked - the following symptoms are present:
  • when key switch is OFF - the speedo clicks, buzzes, hums (I say it hums but a case can be made for any of the three if you listen closely enough)
  • when the humming is happening the needle "pulses" like it is trying to move (moves the equivilant distance of 1 or 2 MPH - BUT stays below the "zero"
  • when the key switch is "ON" the humming/buzzing/needle moving etc STOPS - BUT the odometer does not come on.
  • I assumed a speedo issue so searched until I found a replacement - I installed the replacement and it does EXACTLY the same thing.
  • pulling of fuses has NO EFFECT on these symptoms
  • when I disconnect the speedo the bike seems to run fine (other than no auto blinker cancel, no speed indicator, no odometer etc - mening enginewise it seems to start, run, etc)
I have not been able to find a solution or explained reason - BUT have seen comments to the effect of: "in a few days it will stop" - I have NOT done this because I assumed these issues were either bad for the speedo or bad for the battery or bad for some other eletrical pieces that I am not savvy enough to understand.

PLEASE help this issue has dragged on since last riding season.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM
HeadshotSK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK c'mon need an update! Same thing been happening to me for a few months, just now realized the clicking is what's been draining the batt and my charging IS actually good.....
wake up son! Give me a prognosis...