Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

'06 RK upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott,would I benefit from the shim in my app.?If so,PM me w/price..BTW,saw your pics on Facebook-love the dragbike.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Am4wag
Isn't there a spring upgrade (IIRC Baisely or something like that) available djl ?I too have a feeling new lifters will quiet it down some.I read somewhere that '95-2000 (?)small block chevy lifters are the same.
There is a Baisley spring and the Zipper's shim that Scott makes reference to increase low rpm oil pressure but don't increase pump flow or scavenging capacity. The Drag pump will upgrade pressure, flow and scavenging.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Am4wag
Tourer

dgl,you've mentioned the Drag Specialties pump.Heres 2 diferent branded oil pumps,yet they both have the same picture.Alot of DS stuff is made offshore.I feel if I was to get a DS pump,might as well save 30$ and get a different "brand" pump that's probably made in the same building.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTONA-HIGH...3676d4&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Special...584e97&vxp=mtr

Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

dgl,you've mentioned the Drag Specialties pump.Heres 2 diferent branded oil pumps,yet they both have the same picture.Alot of DS stuff is made offshore.I feel if I was to get a DS pump,might as well save 30$ and get a different "brand" pump that's probably made in the same building.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTONA-HIGH...3676d4&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Special...584e97&vxp=mtr
Then be my guest. A local builder has installed several of the Drag pumps with good results. IIRC, Kirby, AKA prodrag1320, has installed a few as well, also with good results. Your money, buy whatever pump you want. If I were you, I would just go ahead and spend the $300 for a Dan Thayer three stage pump?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Am4wag
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Then be my guest. A local builder has installed several of the Drag pumps with good results. IIRC, Kirby, AKA prodrag1320, has installed a few as well, also with good results. Your money, buy whatever pump you want. If I were you, I would just go ahead and spend the $300 for a Dan Thayer three stage pump?
Not that I am downing them,,it's just that I haven't heard anything good or bad about them.Just gonna run what I got.You DID take time to compare the the 2 I showed-right?

Last edited by Am4wag; 11-01-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 AM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed: This is exactly my situation. 06 RK around 24k, noisy, maybe looking looking for more power and thinking about cams and related options. I hope this discussion keeps going for a while until I decide what I'm going to do with mine too!
Cheers

Last edited by BlackMarshmallow; 11-02-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Am4wag
Tourer

BlackMarshmellow there's a lot of "while I'm in there" happening anytime you take the cam cover off.I wanted to inspect the tensioner shoes (did at 20,000),check out rocker shafts,replace inner cam bearings and replace the lifters at the least.Saw a good deal on an S&S 509C cam kit,so decided to put that in as well.I was really see sawing putting in a hybrid cam plate,but was swayed back to what I'm doing now.So now I'm waiting on parts again (delay with getting right cam from supplier),but am getting it back together slowly.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Not that I am downing them,,it's just that I haven't heard anything good or bad about them.Just gonna run what I got.You DID take time to compare the the 2 I showed-right?
Yes, I did and they do appear to be the same pump, in which case, I would buy the cheaper one. The Thayer pump comment was tongue in cheek. If building on a budget, your plan is a good one and the 509 cams are a good choice. However, it would make some sense, to me anyway, to replace the oil pump with one with more flow and scavenging capacity. The Baisley spring will help low end oil pressure but will not increase flow or scavenging capacity which is OK for the stock motor but when adding cams, etc. more flow and scavenging are a good idea.

Last edited by djl; 11-04-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Am4wag
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Yes, I did and they do appear to be the same pump, in which case, I would by the cheaper one. The Thayer pump comment was tongue in cheek. If building on a budget, your plan is a good one and the 509 cams are a good choice. However, it would make some sense, to me anyway, to replace the oil pump with one with more flow and scavenging capacity. The Baisley spring will help low end oil pressure but will not increase flow or scavenging capacity which is OK for the stock motor but when adding cams, etc. more flow and scavenging are a good idea.
Talked me into it,.....gawd there's all kind of "while I'm in theres"...

Old 11-05-2014, 05:27 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMarshmallow
Subscribed: This is exactly my situation. 06 RK around 24k, noisy, maybe looking looking for more power and thinking about cams and related options. I hope this discussion keeps going for a while until I decide what I'm going to do with mine too!
Cheers
S&S .509
Andrews 21
or a Crane 300 with all bring more power to it if wanting a "cam-only" upgrade, but boring to 98" and some mild headwork will bring much more as well.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record