Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Need a little guidance here (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1030823-need-a-little-guidance-here.html)

JakeMcGuire 03-05-2015 08:23 PM

Need a little guidance here

Hey guys, I'm a newer member and looking for a little wisdom. I hadn't planned on doing anything to the motor of my 2007 street bob quite yet, but then I found some s&s super stock heads for $500. So why better time than now right?

Right now my bike is stock, other than a thunderheader and arlen ness big sucker. I'm not wanting anything crazy just yet, just a little more oomph at the bottom end. I do plan to do a 107 big bore down the road, but it'll be awhile. So I was looking for advice as to what cam I should run, and some suggestions on a tuner.

Still new to all this, so please dumb any info down for me.
Thanks,
Jake

prodrag1320 03-06-2015 07:16 AM

if your looking for low end TQ,get a set of S&S .551 cams.use your stock heads & set the compression at 9.8-1.the S&S heads will help in the upper mid to high RPMs

Buffalolake 03-06-2015 07:42 AM

Are the S&S heads the 79cc or the 89cc? The 79cc are bolt on for stock engines. The 89cc will require either matching S&S pistons, or larger valve reliefs cut into your pistons. The 89cc has 2" intake valves, which is why they need the valve reliefs. Great price on the heads.

prodrag1320 03-06-2015 07:59 AM

is a good price,yes,but wouldn't fit in the type of build he`s looking for (would work VERY well for more of a "hotrod" 107" build though

Hillsidecycle.com 03-06-2015 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by JakeMcGuire (Post 13774730)
Hey guys, I'm a newer member and looking for a little wisdom. I hadn't planned on doing anything to the motor of my 2007 street bob quite yet, but then I found some s&s super stock heads for $500. So why better time than now right?

Right now my bike is stock, other than a thunderheader and arlen ness big sucker. I'm not wanting anything crazy just yet, just a little more oomph at the bottom end. I do plan to do a 107 big bore down the road, but it'll be awhile. So I was looking for advice as to what cam I should run, and some suggestions on a tuner.

Still new to all this, so please dumb any info down for me.
Thanks,
Jake

For $998.00 plus shipping, we have S&S .570 E-Z Start cams, your cyls bored to 107", ring gaps are set and installed on the pistons, with all Cometic gaskets, Barnett clutch spring, K&N oil filter, and a set of NGK plugs, if you have not yet purchased those heads.
Headwork(more power, yet) can be attended to at a later date, or as the budget allows.
Scott

98hotrodfatboy 03-06-2015 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com (Post 13776146)
For $998.00 plus shipping, we have S&S .570 E-Z Start cams, your cyls bored to 107", ring gaps are set and installed on the pistons, with all Cometic gaskets, Barnett clutch spring, K&N oil filter, and a set of NGK plugs, if you have not yet purchased those heads.
Headwork(more power, yet) can be attended to at a later date, or as the budget allows.
Scott

That's a no brainer.....

hobobiker 03-06-2015 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com (Post 13776146)
Scott

I'm thinking that's pretty close to what I spent on parts with I took my 88 up to a 95, and I didn't buy the clutch spring, filter, or plugs... :icon_dunce: