Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Harley vs. S&S Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley vs. S&S Motor

Would appreciate feedback on pros and cons of a Harley vs. S&S motor. Example: if building an old school Harley chopper, what are the pros and cons of using an original Shovelhead motor vs. a new (or used) S&S. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

In my humble opinion I would go with the S&S. You get the looks of a good ole shovel with updated technology

Old 10-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Kopazzz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gozzie
In my humble opinion I would go with the S&S. You get the looks of a good ole shovel with updated technology
That's my thought as well. Removing and replacing (for example) an Evo motor from a Softail opens up lots of bike buying options, which leads me to my next question: how involved is it to remove and replace the motor? I know the Evo has a great reputation but I'm looking for that classic 'David Mann' Shovelhead look.

Last edited by Kopazzz; 10-14-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Questions like that are above my paygrade, lots of smarter what fits what folks on here that will give better answers.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

S&S is way better quality then anything else out there.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you want dependability or the ability to say it has a Harley motor to the tow truck driver?

Old 10-15-2016, 12:48 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,969 Likes on 17,493 Posts

S&S shovel motors at least the hipo 93" ones only look like a shovel the guts are all newer high tech like roller rocker arms and two piece rocker covers , very good hydraulic lifters and evo cams, even the flywheels are upgraded later model stuff. Heads are better ported with several other upgrades. Cases are much heavier castings and gaskets don't leak like the originals.

Bone stock 74's & 80's can be be built to be reliable and about as long lived as any evo so don't let the shovels are nothing but trouble knuckleheads scare you. Finding a decent motor guy who knows his business on the old ones can be a hunt so do your homework. It's all about money ( S&S engines go about $6k now ) and what you want and how your state handles home built bikes, sometime the path of least resistance is buying rat or complete basket case with good paper and numbers and building verses dicking with special construction titles and the finding insurance.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:37 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Nothing wrong with using the HD cases/heads/cylinders or other component parts to build a good reliable S&S stroker, or Sidewinder.
Built more than I can recall.
Favorite is to use an S&S 4 3/4" stroke wheel assembly, with a 3 1/2" bore,(91") and cam/compression as needed for the build.
Have a beautiful, completely black powder-coated, 4 1/2" stroke, 3 5/8" bore 93" Sidewinder getting picked up next week.
The downstate NY shop wanted outside oil drains on this one, and, we used the .514 cam that was supplied in the kit.
Good, solid, reliable, fun engine.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Kopazzz
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
S&S shovel motors at least the hipo 93" ones only look like a shovel the guts are all newer high tech like roller rocker arms and two piece rocker covers , very good hydraulic lifters and evo cams, even the flywheels are upgraded later model stuff. Heads are better ported with several other upgrades. Cases are much heavier castings and gaskets don't leak like the originals.

Bone stock 74's & 80's can be be built to be reliable and about as long lived as any evo so don't let the shovels are nothing but trouble knuckleheads scare you. Finding a decent motor guy who knows his business on the old ones can be a hunt so do your homework. It's all about money ( S&S engines go about $6k now ) and what you want and how your state handles home built bikes, sometime the path of least resistance is buying rat or complete basket case with good paper and numbers and building verses dicking with special construction titles and the finding insurance.
That's a great alternative; what do you think a fair price is to rebuild a shovel?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I love S&S parts, BUT when going w/ one of there full engine setups I don't like that they don't have the rights for internal oiling system. I believe it's something Harley patented or whatever, but you have to run external oil line.

...so saying that it's kinda nice building the sh$t out of your bike using HD cases, boring them out, adding timken for that stealthy custom setup.

Quick Reply: Harley vs. S&S Motor