Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

95ci build. 06a heads and andrews tw21 advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 PM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. After a lot of reading and pondering heres the setup im going with.

screamin eagle cast 9.4:1 cast pistons
06 heads with .030 head gasket
andrews tw37 cam
fueling lifters
S&S quickie adjustable pushrods
also going to replace the no baffle 2 into 1 i'm currently running to a cobra 2 into 1

Placed the order for the parts a few days ago and now waiting for everything to arrive. After break in, im going to do a dyno run and will post back with the results

Old 11-15-2016, 09:29 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,553 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyFifth
Thanks for all the info guys. After a lot of reading and pondering heres the setup im going with.

screamin eagle cast 9.4:1 cast pistons
06 heads with .030 head gasket
andrews tw37 cam
fueling lifters
S&S quickie adjustable pushrods
also going to replace the no baffle 2 into 1 i'm currently running to a cobra 2 into 1

Placed the order for the parts a few days ago and now waiting for everything to arrive. After break in, im going to do a dyno run and will post back with the results
You are one of those guys that comes on the forum, looking for advice, ignores the advice given and ends up disappointed with the results. Your combination of parts is going to keep CCP below 180psi; it should be at least 185, 190 would be better. Corrected CR will be 8.7 and it should be at least 9.3. Your combination of parts will make decent peak numbers (nbt sure about the exhaust; V&H, Rinehart Cossbacks or Python would be a better choice or maybe a decent baffle in your current pipe) but expect performance will be soft on the bottom; these vtwin motor need and like compression.

You can help your self with domed pistons or deck the heads and keep the 37 cam which is a good cam or replace the 37 cam with a cam set with an earlier intake close, like the S&S 509. You were also warned about the Fueling lifter history and their customer service. "You can lead a horse to water......................." come to mind.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:58 PM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser

djl, thanks for the input. Although it seems like im not taking it into consideration, i certainly am(I changed my mind on adjustable pushrods vs the stock solids!)
I'm just trying to work around budget constraints and am looking for a over all boost in power while still maintaining street manners. Not trying to build a tire shredder.

You are correct with your numbers. According to the big boyz calc (havent CC'd my heads so assuming they are 85cc) my corrected compression would be 8.69:1 with a cold crank of 175.3 and a static compression of 9.37:1
I know these numbers are on the lower end for peak performance but like i said in my original post. Im looking for a combo that will be good streetable power and run on 87 octane if needed to and something that wont tear my starter up trying to turn over.

Quick side note, I rode a buddies 95ci with screamin eagle flat tops, se 211 cams and stock 2003 cyl heads. it was a rocket when really getting on it and keeping the rpm up. Im using that as a judge for my build. His corrected comp according to the calc is 8.19:1 with a cold crank of 162. So the setup im going to build wont be a total dog IMO.

Did a lot of reading before deciding on the fueling lifters, some positive reviews some negative. Like anything on the internet YMMV. I have a personal friend that speaks highly of their products. Im going to give them a shot. Paid 120 for 4 lifters.

So far ive ordered:
The cams, head gaskets, pushrods, lifters and necessary gaskets.
Pistons still need to purchase. Im all ears on a dome piston you may recommend to get my corrected up in the 9.3 area.
Or stick with the SE flat tops and have the heads milled a little?

I greatly appreciate the input man. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

djl, thanks for the input. Although it seems like im not taking it into consideration, i certainly am(I changed my mind on adjustable pushrods vs the stock solids!)
I'm just trying to work around budget constraints and am looking for a over all boost in power while still maintaining street manners. Not trying to build a tire shredder.

You are correct with your numbers. According to the big boyz calc (havent CC'd my heads so assuming they are 85cc) my corrected compression would be 8.69:1 with a cold crank of 175.3 and a static compression of 9.37:1. I know these numbers are on the lower end for peak performance but like i said in my original post, I'm looking for a combo that will be good streetable power and run on 87 octane if needed to and something that wont tear my starter up trying to turn over.

Quick side note, I rode a buddies 95ci with screamin eagle flat tops, se 211 cams and stock 2003 cyl heads. it was a rocket when really getting on it and keeping the rpm up. Im using that as a judge for my build. His corrected comp according to the calc is 8.19:1 with a cold crank of 162. So the setup im going to build wont be a total dog IMO.

Did a lot of reading before deciding on the fueling lifters, some positive reviews some negative. Like anything on the internet YMMV. I have a personal friend that speaks highly of their products. Im going to give them a shot. Paid 120 for 4 lifters.

So far ive ordered:
The cams, head gaskets, pushrods, lifters and necessary gaskets.
Pistons still need to purchase. Im all ears on a dome piston you may recommend to get my corrected up in the 9.3 area.
Or stick with the SE flat tops and have the heads milled a little?

I greatly appreciate the input man. Thanks for all the replies.
The problem with your buddies build is "it was a rocket when really getting on it and keeping the rpm up." Wouldn't it be better to move that power curve to the left and have that power available at a lower rpm but still be able to carry that out to 5000? Trust me, a combination of parts that will do that will out run your buddies bike; it will jump out in front and he won't be able to reel you in.

I run my all bore 107" at 9.4 corrected and CCP at 190psi on 87 octane year round with the exception of mid July to mid September; it gets real hot here in south Texas and even though I think I could run on 87 octane, I don't take a chance when ambient temps are 100 and higher.

If you are running the 37 cams, you will need a piston with a 6cc dome to get corrected CR up around 9.3; that would be with a .030" head gasket. Wiseco, CP and HD all offer pistons with a 6cc dome. JMHO bit domed pistons would be better than milling heads which could render the heads useless in another configuration. You would need the piston in a .010" over size to bore/hone your 95" cylinders to fit. The HD PN for the .010" over piston is 22870-00A, IIRC but you should verify; they will run about $300. These domed pistons are forged so they are set up a bit looser than cast; be sure your machinist follows manufacture's recommendations on fitment and ring gap. If you hadn't bought the cams, I would have suggested the Andrews 57; same profile but more lift or the 48. Nothing wrong with the 37 but is has been around forever, like the 26 and the 21. Just saying that there are new profiles for consideration.

Good luck with Fueling lifters. A set of CompCams VThunder 850-1 lifters can be delivered to your door for $70 and a set of S&S standards runs about the same as what you paid for the Fuelings. You haven't mentioned cam bearings but assume you are replacing both inner and outer and are ugrading the inner to a full compliment bearing.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:16 PM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser

This is the first I've heard of CP pistons. I'm not hip on boring these cylinders, would like to just run a 3.875 piston and go. I see they offer a 3.875 bore with a 4.6 dome. Which would bring my corrected compression using a .030 head gasket to 9.23 and a cold crank of 189.5. Static compression maybe a little high at 9.96:1? To me this maybe the ideal setup. Not milling heads and also getting a bump in compression. Thoughts on those pistons? Part number cp bhm5017
Newbie question here, but with the dome and .510 of valve lift, will clearance be an issue? I of course will check all that during the install but curious before I pull the trigger on these parts.

I absolutely will be replacing the inner cam bearing with Torringtons.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:25 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

This is the first I've heard of CP pistons. I'm not hip on boring these cylinders, would like to just run a 3.875 piston and go. I see they offer a 3.875 bore with a 4.6 dome. Which would bring my corrected compression using a .030 head gasket to 9.23 and a cold crank of 189.5. Static compression maybe a little high at 9.96:1? To me this maybe the ideal setup. Not milling heads and also getting a bump in compression. Thoughts on those pistons? Part number cp bhm5017
Newbie question here, but with the dome and .510 of valve lift, will clearance be an issue? I of course will check all that during the install but curious before I pull the trigger on these parts.

I absolutely will be replacing the inner cam bearing with Torringtons.
If you choose to run a set of off the shelf 3.875" bore pistons in the 3.875" cylinders you have you need to have a competent machinist measure the cylinder bore, in torque plates, to verify that the bore is true and verify the bore diameter. When you get the pistons, they must be measured as well and, assuming cylinder to piston wall clearance can be set up to meet manufacturers spefications, you are good to go. However, your SOL if cylinder to bore fitment is out of spec.

Don't understand your concern about boring cylinders; there have only been about a gazillion sets bored without any issues. Ordering .010" or .020" over size pistons is the only way to guarantee proper piston to cylinder fitment. Once again, when you get back to boring, boring to 3.938 for 98" is the way to go. JMHO but you are throwing money away and giving up performance. Send your cylinders to Scott and Hillside or Kirby at VeeTwin and let them bore, supply and fit pistons, gap rings and return to you; eazy, peazy........

9.96 static CR is very conservative; no worries there and 9.23/189.5 are also conservative and very manageable numbers. CP pistons are quality hardware.

Don't see any issues with valve to piston clearance, even with higher lift cams but should always be checked at TDC lift which is less than valve lift. You are talking about a very conservative combination of parts; not pushing the envelope by any measure.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:30 PM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser

Well got my build done. Figured I'd do a final results posts in case this thread comes up in a search for some guys build of his own.

I ended up sending the heads to Big Boyz for a port and polish job, compression releases and milling to achieve 85cc combustion chamber volume.
-Running the Screamin Eagle forged high compression pistons which they call 10.5:1
Also running a .030 head gasket
-Andrews tw37 cams
-Daytona twin tec ignition
-Stock CV carb. 50 idle jet with a 235 main jet
-Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust

Cylinder compression psi is close to 200 on both cylinders. Which roughly puts my static compression at 10.3:1 with my corrected around 9.5:1

Had it dyno'd last week and its putting down 85hp and 102tq. I was expecting a little higher numbers, but the riding experience compared to how the old motor was setup as an 88ci with the tw21 cams is huge! Engine makes all its power right in the midrange. Nice flat torque curve with no dips in the band. Really took my time with this build and did a lot of research, super glad I did this. Thanks for all the help everybody

Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Post a pic of the dyno graph with the a/f ratio.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
You are one of those guys that comes on the forum, looking for advice, ignores the advice given and ends up disappointed with the results.
We, and you OP on this forum, are very lucky to have very knowledgeable guys like djl, Hillside, and prodrag who are willing give out some of the best advise you can get anywhere. My advise would be to listen to them.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Well got my build done. Figured I'd do a final results posts in case this thread comes up in a search for some guys build of his own.

I ended up sending the heads to Big Boyz for a port and polish job, compression releases and milling to achieve 85cc combustion chamber volume.
-Running the Screamin Eagle forged high compression pistons which they call 10.5:1
Also running a .030 head gasket
-Andrews tw37 cams
-Daytona twin tec ignition
-Stock CV carb. 50 idle jet with a 235 main jet
-Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust

Cylinder compression psi is close to 200 on both cylinders. Which roughly puts my static compression at 10.3:1 with my corrected around 9.5:1

Had it dyno'd last week and its putting down 85hp and 102tq. I was expecting a little higher numbers, but the riding experience compared to how the old motor was setup as an 88ci with the tw21 cams is huge! Engine makes all its power right in the midrange. Nice flat torque curve with no dips in the band. Really took my time with this build and did a lot of research, super glad I did this. Thanks for all the help everybody
Congrats. I would like to see the graph; jetting looks on the rich side to me and I also would have expected better numbers.

Quick Reply: 95ci build. 06a heads and andrews tw21 advice?