Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New 1200 custom oil drips after ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Sucks but **** happens. Not just with Harleys but cars, boats, etc.
This would have been an opportune time to trade it back into the dealership for a bigger bike, which you will probably do in the future. $13K for a new 1200...ouch.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:19 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
$13K for a new 1200...ouch.
13k... for a sportster... lol. never.

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by cvaria
my oil pump hose was loose when i first got mine. no big deal. but... i didn't go postal yelling about workmanship. i fixed it. bike had 187 miles on it. /QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
If you would have read my post you would be aware of the oil fitting pipe/ elbow was half installed and cross threaded at a 10' angle hence poor workmanship
hmm....

relax man. you best bet with anything is to give it a once over when you get it. humans are human, they make mistakes. i feel you on needing to vent but, that thing is yours now and you are betting the farm every time you get on it you are the last line of defense and QC. be **** about it's condition.

glad it's resolved and no one was killed

Old 07-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
Sucks but **** happens. Not just with Harleys but cars, boats, etc.
This would have been an opportune time to trade it back into the dealership for a bigger bike, which you will probably do in the future. $13K for a new 1200...ouch.
Yeah you can chock up 700+ For PA state tax just alone

Wiz

Old 07-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=cvaria;16407108]13k... for a sportster... lol. never.

hmm....

relax man. you best bet with anything is to give it a once over when you get it. humans are human, they make mistakes. i feel you on needing to vent but, that thing is yours now and you are betting the farm every time you get on it you are the last line of defense and QC. be **** about it's condition.

glad it's resolved and no one was killed
Yeah just pissed off 😡 was happy as when I first picked it up all new and stuff Now 90 days in and 2 claims I think very differently now on how I'd suggest what bike to buy if anyone asked me

Thx for ya input mate

Wiz

Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Wizardofaus;16407588]
13k... for a sportster... lol. never.

Yeah just pissed off 😡 was happy as when I first picked it up all new and stuff Now 90 days in and 2 claims I think very differently now on how I'd suggest what bike to buy if anyone asked me

Thx for ya input mate

Wiz
sporty is bullet proof if taken care off. you will be just fine. mine has been fine and the only issues it has had are ones i've caused.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=cvaria;16407719]
Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

sporty is bullet proof if taken care off. you will be just fine. mine has been fine and the only issues it has had are ones i've caused.
Well that's what I thought and made me gravitate torwards one, the motor is of a solid design bugs all worked out ( not like some " Read " some of the m8's ) teething issues. Pisses me off doing my homework and test rides and stuff on what I thought was a nice bike to stable , but I guess nonetheless you can't remove the human element, or I just expedited too much of the brand ? But I'll wait and see how I feel in the next couple months ,if not I'll kick it to the curb trade it and get something else.
Its a pitty really , it's a nice bike to ride when you don't have to deal with the bullshit I have right now.

Wiz

Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

I read your post and agree there is cause for concern and a right to be pissed off.

Bloke is from Australia and Harley's cost a bomb there. Quality should be better for the money.

Have you joined hdforums.com.au?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Arseclown
I . Quality should be better for the money.
the quality is there. Read the posts. Some knucklehead half-assed the final assembly. Nothing wrong with the bike. I had nearly the same problem. Fixed in minutes. That doesn't mean that the entire bike is not quality.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

the quality is there. Read the posts. Some knucklehead half-assed the final assembly. Nothing wrong with the bike. I had nearly the same problem. Fixed in minutes. That doesn't mean that the entire bike is not quality.
Well I had a seat retaining bolt fall off the day I picked it up. The bike was 22 miles old for its first warranty claim and now the seconds at 1060 any guesses what's next?
Shitty thing I was told they can't get the parts required for the repair till Wednesday the 12th some 7 days away

Funny really as it only took 4 days to fly to the moon 🤔

Wiz

Old 07-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Arseclown
I read your post and agree there is cause for concern and a right to be pissed off.

Bloke is from Australia and Harley's cost a bomb there. Quality should be better for the money.

Have you joined hdforums.com.au?
Hey Arseclown, I live here in the US but I'm from
Melbourne Aust 🇦🇺 mate.

Wiz

Quick Reply: New 1200 custom oil drips after ride