Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

44CV carb for my 95ci build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:15 PM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I'd keep the CV40 and ditch the Andrews cam. I believe they leave a lot on the table. Their theory to airflow is like a table top. They rise quick, stay low, and close fast compared to the S&S and Woods options.
Im looking into various cams right now. I know people are high on woods and S&S. Im just a die hard andrews guy. If Im swapping cams, im sticking with andrews.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:25 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyFifth

Ed can you elaborate on the "timing affect fuel on a carb but fuel doesn't affect timing."
If i advance timing to get a more aggressive spark, wouldn't i need more fuel to avoid pinging?

So right now im overly rich on the jets and aggressive on the spark. When i lean out this carb. Say to a 48 idle and a 205 main. I would need to retard timing a little to avoid issues?

Thanks so much for everybody's input. I really appreciate all the replies.
Hi - in simplest explanation, adjusting timing will affect your A/F ratio because adjusting timing affects how the engine is running which affects how the carb draws fuel, but adjusting jetting has no effect of timing because timing is mechanically or electronically set to happen a a physical point in time.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:26 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Here is a copy of the dyno graph. Cell phone picture, sorry for the poor quality. You can see the AF ratio hardly made a move. It was so long ago my memory is hazy on what the jetting was on "run 002" i want to say possibly a 220?? But "run 010" had the 235 main jet in it.

I was in the room while the dyno runs were being performed and was changing jets and tweaking the carb as we went. You are right Ed, we were taking stabs at tuning the carb based off the AF ratio shown on the dyno and doing some spark plug reading. Now at the time we were unaware the sniffer was giving faulty readings. But the AF ratio was mainly what we were looking at. After all the input here Im fairly certain im over jetted. I will be making changes to the jetting here soon.

Ed can you elaborate on the "timing affect fuel on a carb but fuel doesn't affect timing."
If i advance timing to get a more aggressive spark, wouldn't i need more fuel to avoid pinging?

So right now im overly rich on the jets and aggressive on the spark. When i lean out this carb. Say to a 48 idle and a 205 main. I would need to retard timing a little to avoid issues?

Thanks so much for everybody's input. I really appreciate all the replies.

We do not "fuel" a bike, to compensate for advanced timing, and vice versa, here.
The engine will alert us as to where it wants to be timed, and it's fuel needs.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

If you are asking, that suggests that you are not completely satisfied with the performance from your build. Put the bigger SE big bore carb/intake on.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM
dsvracer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

intermediate jet? you talking the idle jet?
85 main? did you mean a 185 jet? A 185 seems awfully small given the build. Not immediately doubting you, just trying to clear this up for myself.
yes i did mean to say a 185 jet to start with. a lot of folks think once they get there heads ported they need huge jets. there is not enough work done to that motor to need a lot of extra fuel. if you are using plug reading to dial the carb in then you should know that extra fat and lean will have the same color on the plugs, none. when they are to fat they was the plug clean so it looks like it may be lean but it is just too fat. give it a try you might be surprised.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,811 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Just so you know you can judge an a/f mixture just by looking at the plugs... But not by the way we used to do it by checking the amount of deposit on the porcelain. The ring that surrounds the porcelain that has the electrode welded to it will show wether it's lean or rich. It will also tell if it's too hot or cold of a plug....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 02-22-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

While the AFR sampling in the dyno run does seem to indicate that the sniffer had an air leak, another issue could be the shape of the needle.. If the needle is too wide at the end, it can set the WOT fueling and the main-jet becomes ineffectual.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:43 AM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,052 Likes on 569 Posts

The cv 40 and 44 should not be used in the same sentence as performance. Decent carbs for what they are, but definitely at the bottom of the barrel in the performance department. Mikuni 45 , 48 or an S&S super G if you’re going to change carbs.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Madnss
The cv 40 and 44 should not be used in the same sentence as performance. Decent carbs for what they are, but definitely at the bottom of the barrel in the performance department. Mikuni 45 , 48 or an S&S super G if you’re going to change carbs.
Really!

Attached Thumbnails 44CV carb for my 95ci build?-cv_vs_mikuni.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 10:32 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

all depends upon what you are looking for. the engine is an air pump and is finite in flow.
nascars run 750cfm unit and make 800hp easily. so if you put this on a beater, the housewife in a mini van smokes you why?

too many factors but largely how the machine is built. a race car is usually geared low so the engine comes up to speed quickly and pretty much stays there as there is little rpm drop between gears. what this does is make the flow through the carb high which leads to torque. your beater isn't like that so it bogs at throttle and loses torque till engine rpm brings up velocity the carb needs and you are not geared down so granny in the mini is matched from the factory and smokes you.
now on the flip, the carb can act as a restrictor plate and keep hp down since it can not supply the air pumps demand.
on jetting, be careful as the saying goes, lean is mean and it screams. you can cook your engine quickly so an err to the rich is not so bad.
for grins and giggles: on my sport, i run the 40 and yes, i could benefit form a larger carb as mine does act as a restrictor. i can pull up to speed but have more to go which if i have open road, rpm will slowly pull up, mine is built for top end and yep i lose a tad on the low but really not notice-able since the transmission is geared down to pull the international gearing.

Last edited by bustert; 02-26-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 44CV carb for my 95ci build?