Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

motor intermittant loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:15 AM
azjohnryan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default motor intermittant loss of power

2017 triglide with 9000 miles has had several episodes of power loss up to one cylinder not firing, running very hot, weak throttle response above one quarter throttle,no error codes. Parking the bike for several hours and letting it cool off seems to temporarily fix the problem. It is not in limp mode. Again there is never an error code. Does anyone have any idea what component could be causing this problem?

Last edited by azjohnryan; 04-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 AM
a23turbo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2017 FLTRU. I upgraded to the S.E stage3 and when it runs right, I love it. Problem seems to occur after oil gets hotter than normal cruising temps. If I get on it hard for a few gears, It will almost always have the power loss happen after a brief shutdown and restart. sometimes a complete cool down will correct it, sometimes not. the engine starts to tap and detonate, with a noticeable increase in heat.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM
azjohnryan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by a23turbo
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2017 FLTRU. I upgraded to the S.E stage3 and when it runs right, I love it. Problem seems to occur after oil gets hotter than normal cruising temps. If I get on it hard for a few gears, It will almost always have the power loss happen after a brief shutdown and restart. sometimes a complete cool down will correct it, sometimes not. the engine starts to tap and detonate, with a noticeable increase in heat.
That means that I am not the only one experiencing this issue. My trike is at my local dealership at present and they are trying to find what is causing this problem. I called customer service in Milwaukee at 1-414-343-4056. The rep. listened to my description of the problem, four times for me, and gave me a case number that the dealer can reference to get their help. If I get any more info on this problem I will post it. John Ryan

Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

had same issue with 08 ultra , dealer found bad coil , did not believe him so i took old coil home and did what they said they did to test it with a heat gun and when it got hot the issue appeared

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Sounds more like a lean condition. Lean could cause detonation and don't these motors have sensors that will shut down a cylinder if they get too hot? A good tune might possible cure your problem.....

Old 05-09-2017, 04:15 AM
a23turbo
3rd Gear
Default dealer found problem(hopefully)

I took the bike to the stage3 installing dealer while bike was low on power. Problem is in the oiling system. Crankshaft area is being flooded with oil to the point the pistons are having to push against oil during the firing. They have a new crankshaft ordered, as well as oil nozzles that are used to cool the pistons. the must be a scavenging problem for this to occur. Crank sensor was removed to measure residual oil. Its (according to dealer) supposed to be 3-4 ounces, but was actually 2+ quarts.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I took the bike to the stage3 installing dealer while bike was low on power. Problem is in the oiling system. Crankshaft area is being flooded with oil to the point the pistons are having to push against oil during the firing. They have a new crankshaft ordered, as well as oil nozzles that are used to cool the pistons. the must be a scavenging problem for this to occur. Crank sensor was removed to measure residual oil. Its (according to dealer) supposed to be 3-4 ounces, but was actually 2+ quarts.
Sumping.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

So this was an M8 that lost a crank?

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 AM
a23turbo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So this was an M8 that lost a crank?
yes, according to the dealer, oil starved. Haven't seen the old crank yet.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 04:51 PM
azjohnryan
Intermediate
Default Power loss

yes, according to the dealer, oil starved. Haven't seen the old crank yet.
Was this problem caused by the stage three upgrade or just a defect in the M-8 motor?

Quick Reply: motor intermittant loss of power