Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Build starts tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 279 Likes on 198 Posts

I agree with Max- it’ll be interesting. In my opinion, you are pushing the limits with that cam and compression with the Dobeck as a “tuner”. You will need a way to address timing. Interested in the outcome.

Last edited by jbarr1; 05-20-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:02 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,302 Likes on 5,565 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Yeah, Using those numbers you get about 10.24 to 1 CR, 9.5 corrected and 200 ccp with the 203. The motor is going from about 165 ccp to 200. What does the Dobeck do for ignition timing? It's only a fuel adder. Stock heads will only make things worse even if you were to find a better tuner. MMI heads don't flow on the exhaust ports Motor will run hot.

Where is DLJ? He's usually on this.
Originally Posted by jbarr1
I agree with Max- it’ll be interesting. In my opinion, you are pushing the limits with that cam and compression with the Dobeck as a “tuner”. You will need a way to address timing. Interested in the outcome.
ok. Your numbers are close to what I am showing for CR (9.3 adjusted) and CCP (185 at my altitude, 190 sea level) from the Fat Boyz calculator. Heads I'm kind of married to at this point, but are an easy upgrade. What would you suggest for a stock(ish) head, as I dont have the budget for porting at the moment. The Dobeck is indeed fuel only
is there a better unit out there that can modify timing with the MM fuel injection. I dont want to jump down the rabbit hole on carbs, rewiring and older ecus for timing.

Dlj and I had been discussing the build in another thread a few weeks ago, I'm sure he will pop in sooner rather than later. Heads and fuel controller weren't heavily discussed at that point.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:55 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 279 Likes on 198 Posts

PCV would be better than the Dobeck. Ideally, if you could find someone that tunes with DirectLink, that would be the best available.

The following users liked this post:
ScottinAZ (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

notes taken into consideration, and acted upon. Power Commander V on its way now....... Hopefully here before ready to fire it off

anyone need a slightly used Dobeck Ejk unit?

Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,281 Likes on 3,642 Posts

You might want to think about compression releases and 4 gauge battery cables.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:21 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Engine fired up this morning with no issues. Have the Dobeck hooked up at the moment, as the Power Commander has not yet arrived. Engine cranks healthy, starter does not seem to be struggling. Will see how it turns over on a hot restart when I get the tank fully re-installed and some miles on it. Today was only a 5 minute test run, had to abort further testing due to a leaky tank quick connector (need to change out the o-rings).

Max Headflow (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:49 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

ok, a slightly different tack to the thread for now. Did a post-mortem on the take off rear head, and it doesnt look horiible. Not good, but not horrible. Head has 108k on it, and the stems are still tight in the guides (very little movement detected), the seats dont look horrible either. What is a bit worrying is the amount of carbon buildup in the exhaust port. Its to the point that the exhaust valve is sticky to get open and does not fully seat easily with hand pressure alone.

Cylinders show a good bit of "polishing" as to be expected with that mileage, and slight crosshatching still present (not totally worn out, but close). Top and second rings still show good tension, but the oil control rings on both cylinders are barely showing above the piston. Piston crowns have a heavy buildup of carbon on them (about 1/16th inch thick, and hard)

one other thing of note is that the rear breather cavity was pretty much dry. Front cylinder was blowing oil out the breather with gusto however, as the channel ran black with oil when the breather bolt was removed. I dont know the cause for this, but will attribute this to the carbon buildup on the pistons, and the amount of crud in the exhaust ports. I am running an air cleaner and breather that still vents into the intake for the time being (catch can on the way, but fresh internals should help as well). for 99.9% of the bikes life it has had the factory air cleaner and now has a Screamin Eagle stage 2 on it (breathers still vented to intake, but easier to remove).

overall, about what I expected from an engine thats 20 years old with over 100k miles on it.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

OK, not following. Motor fired up in #16 but "post mortem" being done in #17? WTF?

The ultimate fuel management upgrade for the MM EFI system is the Zippers Marelli conversion kit but it runs about $2K for the system; the install is DIY and then another $400 for a tune. The PC V will be more than adequate; just have to find a competent tuner.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:43 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

ok, the post mortem was on the takeoff parts, that were replaced for the build. Just posted it as confirmation that the motor was ready for a top end rebuild.

2k for a fuel injection system (just checked the site, for mine it would be $2300!!), even if its the gold standard is damn pricey on a 20 year old bike that is barely worth that much as it sits. Im sure its nice, but damn...... thankfully I have several shops to choose from for dyno tuning in the local area I already have feelers out for who is the "best" when it comes to that. I may go back to Ramjet where I got the cylinders bored, as they seem to have the best reputation in town so far. Problem is, they are booked solid a couple of months out, so I may have to go with option 2, as I dont want the bike parked for a couple months waiting on a shop time.

I am also contemplating (strongly) the $400 for the autotune upgrade, but I still need some form of starting point, and I dont believe autotune does anything with the timing, just uses the oxygen sensors for the fuel tables. (please tell me Im wrong.....)

Last edited by ScottinAZ; 05-25-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

OK, got it on the post mortem; should have picked up on that. I wasn't suggesting that the Zipper's Marrelli conversion was a solution for you; just pointing out that there must be a demand for such a product.

Go to the Dynojet website, or Fuel Moto and scroll through their "map" library and you are likely to find a base map pretty close to your configuration that you can use as a starting point. As you suspect, the auto tune feature for the PC V does not allow for timing adjustments.

ScottinAZ (05-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Build starts tomorrow!!