Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Checking deck height (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1357085-checking-deck-height.html)

Ropestringer 01-14-2021 04:48 PM

Checking deck height

Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to do a topend rebuild and cam on my 1994 Road King and although I have done a bunch of research and watched many videos, I'm sure I'll have some question.

My build consists of Hillside headwork, 10:1 pistons, a woods w6 cam and a thunderjet for my s&s super e. I am also adding a dynatek ignition and I'm tuning it with a wego 3.

My first question is about checking deck height. I bought a zippers deck height tool and a good straight edge to make sure I set my squish correctly. Since my pistons will already be installed in my cylinders when they come back from Hillside, can I install them without installing the circlips so I can measure deck height without the base gaskets? Then I can pull the piston pins and add the correct combo of base gasket and head gasket to get the squish right.

Geegg

My first

Yankee Dog 01-14-2021 05:19 PM

Yes, you can, you could even install only one of the clips, measure, then remove. Make sure you plug any openings in the engine when your put the clips in, so if you drop one, it does not end up in a bad place.

Ropestringer 01-14-2021 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog (Post 19665840)
Yes, you can, you could even install only one of the clips, measure, then remove. Make sure you plug any openings in the engine when your put the clips in, so if you drop one, it does not end up in a bad place.

Thanks, that is exactly what I want to do but I figured I should ask in case I was missing something.

OldMike 01-14-2021 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ropestringer (Post 19665770)
Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to do a topend rebuild and cam on my 1994 Road King and although I have done a bunch of research and watched many videos, I'm sure I'll have some question.

My build consists of Hillside headwork, 10:1 pistons, a woods w6 cam and a thunderjet for my s&s super e. I am also adding a dynatek ignition and I'm tuning it with a wego 3.

My first question is about checking deck height. I bought a zippers deck height tool and a good straight edge to make sure I set my squish correctly. Since my pistons will already be installed in my cylinders when they come back from Hillside, can I install them without installing the circlips so I can measure deck height without the base gaskets? Then I can pull the piston pins and add the correct combo of base gasket and head gasket to get the squish right.

Geegg

My first

I'm doing a similar pistons-in-cylinders from a different shop. One clip will already be installed so will do a mock-up with just the pin installed and no base gasket. I already had a depth gauge and micrometer to play with. Just using some PVC pipe sections to hold the cylinder.

Ropestringer 01-14-2021 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldMike (Post 19665962)
I'm doing a similar pistons-in-cylinders from a different shop. One clip will already be installed so will do a mock-up with just the pin installed and no base gasket. I already had a depth gauge and micrometer to play with. Just using some PVC pipe sections to hold the cylinder.

Awesome, I'm still several weeks out on mine but I'm getting excited. The deck height tool from zippers comes with aluminum spacers for holding the cylinders down but I used some half inch drive sockets on my last build.

OldMike 01-14-2021 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ropestringer (Post 19665978)
Awesome, I'm still several weeks out on mine but I'm getting excited. The deck height tool from zippers comes with aluminum spacers for holding the cylinders down but I used some half inch drive sockets on my last build.

I saw the Zippers tool, just have some things I'd like to utilize.
Ya, I'm ahead of my cylinder/piston delivery, just getting prepared.

Yankee Dog 01-14-2021 07:17 PM

I measured mine with a straight edge and feeler gauges...I also used the cut pvc tubes to hold the cylinders down. Worked fine for me. The zippers tool is nice, but I just "improvised". YD

OldMike 01-14-2021 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog (Post 19666097)
I measured mine with a straight edge and feeler gauges...I also used the cut pvc tubes to hold the cylinders down. Worked fine for me. The zippers tool is nice, but I just "improvised". YD

Yes, I also have a straight edge to play with and double check measurements.

Ropestringer 01-15-2021 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog (Post 19666097)

I guess my main reason for getting the zippers tool is so that I can accurately determine TDC before measuring deck height. I suppose I could use a feeler gage and straight edge if I had a helper but it seems like it'll be easier to turn the wheel and look at the gage. I used a straight edge and feeler gages last time and I came up with different measurements every time I measured. I ended up just averaging them.

OldMike 01-15-2021 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ropestringer (Post 19666544)
I guess my main reason for getting the zippers tool is so that I can accurately determine TDC before measuring deck height. I suppose I could use a feeler gage and straight edge if I had a helper but it seems like it'll be easier to turn the wheel and look at the gage. I used a straight edge and feeler gages last time and I came up with different measurements every time I measured. I ended up just averaging them.

Good point, thanks.
EDIT: Because I do have an inexpensive dial depth gauge, I tried it to get TDC and can easily hold the indicator and turn the rear tire.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...bad8239f46.jpg