Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Checking deck height

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 04:48 PM
Ropestringer
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Checking deck height

Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to do a topend rebuild and cam on my 1994 Road King and although I have done a bunch of research and watched many videos, I'm sure I'll have some question.

My build consists of Hillside headwork, 10:1 pistons, a woods w6 cam and a thunderjet for my s&s super e. I am also adding a dynatek ignition and I'm tuning it with a wego 3.

My first question is about checking deck height. I bought a zippers deck height tool and a good straight edge to make sure I set my squish correctly. Since my pistons will already be installed in my cylinders when they come back from Hillside, can I install them without installing the circlips so I can measure deck height without the base gaskets? Then I can pull the piston pins and add the correct combo of base gasket and head gasket to get the squish right.

Geegg

My first

Old 01-14-2021, 05:19 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 939 Posts

Yes, you can, you could even install only one of the clips, measure, then remove. Make sure you plug any openings in the engine when your put the clips in, so if you drop one, it does not end up in a bad place.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Ropestringer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Yes, you can, you could even install only one of the clips, measure, then remove. Make sure you plug any openings in the engine when your put the clips in, so if you drop one, it does not end up in a bad place.
Thanks, that is exactly what I want to do but I figured I should ask in case I was missing something.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:19 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropestringer
Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to do a topend rebuild and cam on my 1994 Road King and although I have done a bunch of research and watched many videos, I'm sure I'll have some question.

My build consists of Hillside headwork, 10:1 pistons, a woods w6 cam and a thunderjet for my s&s super e. I am also adding a dynatek ignition and I'm tuning it with a wego 3.

My first question is about checking deck height. I bought a zippers deck height tool and a good straight edge to make sure I set my squish correctly. Since my pistons will already be installed in my cylinders when they come back from Hillside, can I install them without installing the circlips so I can measure deck height without the base gaskets? Then I can pull the piston pins and add the correct combo of base gasket and head gasket to get the squish right.

Geegg

My first
I'm doing a similar pistons-in-cylinders from a different shop. One clip will already be installed so will do a mock-up with just the pin installed and no base gasket. I already had a depth gauge and micrometer to play with. Just using some PVC pipe sections to hold the cylinder.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:26 PM
Ropestringer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldMike
I'm doing a similar pistons-in-cylinders from a different shop. One clip will already be installed so will do a mock-up with just the pin installed and no base gasket. I already had a depth gauge and micrometer to play with. Just using some PVC pipe sections to hold the cylinder.
Awesome, I'm still several weeks out on mine but I'm getting excited. The deck height tool from zippers comes with aluminum spacers for holding the cylinders down but I used some half inch drive sockets on my last build.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:29 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Awesome, I'm still several weeks out on mine but I'm getting excited. The deck height tool from zippers comes with aluminum spacers for holding the cylinders down but I used some half inch drive sockets on my last build.
I saw the Zippers tool, just have some things I'd like to utilize.
Ya, I'm ahead of my cylinder/piston delivery, just getting prepared.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:17 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 939 Posts

I measured mine with a straight edge and feeler gauges...I also used the cut pvc tubes to hold the cylinders down. Worked fine for me. The zippers tool is nice, but I just "improvised". YD

Old 01-14-2021, 07:26 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I measured mine with a straight edge and feeler gauges...I also used the cut pvc tubes to hold the cylinders down. Worked fine for me. The zippers tool is nice, but I just "improvised". YD
Yes, I also have a straight edge to play with and double check measurements.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:27 AM
Ropestringer
Cruiser

I guess my main reason for getting the zippers tool is so that I can accurately determine TDC before measuring deck height. I suppose I could use a feeler gage and straight edge if I had a helper but it seems like it'll be easier to turn the wheel and look at the gage. I used a straight edge and feeler gages last time and I came up with different measurements every time I measured. I ended up just averaging them.

The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 05:15 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess my main reason for getting the zippers tool is so that I can accurately determine TDC before measuring deck height. I suppose I could use a feeler gage and straight edge if I had a helper but it seems like it'll be easier to turn the wheel and look at the gage. I used a straight edge and feeler gages last time and I came up with different measurements every time I measured. I ended up just averaging them.
Good point, thanks.
EDIT: Because I do have an inexpensive dial depth gauge, I tried it to get TDC and can easily hold the indicator and turn the rear tire.

Last edited by OldMike; 01-15-2021 at 07:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ropestringer (01-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Checking deck height