Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil in my air filter at 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:18 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,967 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by rjstreet23
So I have noticed some random hesitations in the motor of my 2023 street glide when giving the bike some throttle. I first noticed it right around the 900 mile mark and now at 3000 miles it seems to be getting a little worse. Mainly within the first few minutes of riding, but it still happens after riding for quite some time (bike is definitely warmed up). I've also had some "backfireing" a few times. Once when I wasn't clutching properly (was still getting used to the clutch on this bike)but a couple times just giving a little throttle with clutch completely out. Last bit of info...I recently changed out my stock air filter for a K and N filter and noticed my stock filter had oil on it. Any ideas of what could be causing these issues? Do I have bad piston rings? I'm pretty sure I followed the break in instructions correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Not to worry, very unlikely it is bad rings.

Here are two vids. The first explaining what is happening, and the second is how to easily fix it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-23-2024, 09:28 AM
rjstreet23
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Apparently, when you pay $500 for an oil change it tightens things up Definitely some dealership shenanigans! I'm gonna give them another shot and if I don't get some results there is another dealer fairly close that I have heard good things about. Thanks for the well wishes and the compliment on the bike!

Old 03-23-2024, 09:32 AM
rjstreet23
Novice

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
“Tightened up” what’s that supposed to mean? Followed up by “could not duplicate customers concern”
Classic dealership responses…
Is another dealer an option? I know it can become frustrating when you know there’s an issue and the “professionals” can’t figure it out.
Good luck and let us know how it plays out.
Beautiful bike btw!
Apparently, when you pay $500 for an oil change it tightens things up Definitely some dealership shenanigans! I'm gonna give them another shot and if I don't get some results there is another dealer fairly close that I have heard good things about. Thanks for the well wishes and the compliment on the bike!

Old 03-23-2024, 09:54 AM
rjstreet23
Novice

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Here are two vids. The first explaining what is happening, and the second is how to easily fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ0vYAitUqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDeFZblMck
Thank you! That is some great information!

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 03:22 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ0vYAitUqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDeFZblMck
I noticed you referenced the manual's "Oil Level Cold Check" procedure in the first video. Is it acceptable to have the oil level above midway between the "ADD QT" mark & the "FULL HOT" mark, but below the "FULL HOT" mark when performing the manual's "Oil Level Hot Check" procedure?

Old 03-23-2024, 04:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by barneyboy
I noticed you referenced the manual's "Oil Level Cold Check" procedure in the first video. Is it acceptable to have the oil level above midway between the "ADD QT" mark & the "FULL HOT" mark, but below the "FULL HOT" mark when performing the manual's "Oil Level Hot Check" procedure?
Yes. Even at Normal Operating Temp of 230 F, the oil level should be well below the "full hot" mark, and no oil should be added unless it is at, or below, the add qt. mark.

AND, if you have a Milwaukee-Eight, here is an undocumented tech tip-

Old 03-24-2024, 09:25 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 737 Likes on 648 Posts

now this is funny, anyone can make a youtube video and correct the world's problems. the truth here is there is truth and there is falsehood so like a theory, if one part is false then the whole thing is false!!!
there are literally so many hours on engines of all sorts, this page could not contain the zeros behind the whole numbers.
an air cooled engine is VERY hard to maintain control of, hence, hd going liquid cooled.
ONE big issue is??? exactly how much so called oxygen depleted vapor (it is not air) is expelled from the engine vent to the cleaner and what exactly is the final ratio entering the intake????
truth told, there is oxygen left, even a computer controlled system looks at O2 content of the spent gas and compared to the entering to tell if the system is working and also if the cats are doing their job.
so all of this deposits are from the vent vapor???? which is mostly water and some spent combustion gas and a tad of oil vapor, hummmmm, perhaps they need to measure what is slipping past the rings!!!!!!!!
a BIG issue with the hd is that it will transition to a positive c/c pressure and when that happens, ring seal is compromised so you cannot place all blame on the c/c vapor!!!!
oily air cleaner, why??????
simple: LAZY FLOW !!!!! look at how rice does it.
with the lame hd system, the vapor passes through an orifice into the cleaner from a higher pressure to a lower pressure and what happens???? particulate matter falls out.
that said, since it is dumped to the outer periphery of the filter, it is in a lazy flow area and the particulate collects and over time makes a mess. this mess worsens and the system is taxed.
rice puts their vent in a high flow area from the vent to the intake so particulate has little time to attempt to fall out.
i do not have issue with this since i made my vent flow to a high flow area and i push the machine to its limits.

i am not saying you cannot make more power, i am saying it is a nat's a$$.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:11 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 737 Likes on 648 Posts

what about running an engine on wood smoke. plenty of youtube videos
they can actually run quite well on so called O2 depleted air

Last edited by bustert; 03-24-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:25 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by bustert
now this is funny, anyone can make a youtube video and correct the world's problems. the truth here is there is truth and there is falsehood so like a theory, if one part is false then the whole thing is false!!!
there are literally so many hours on engines of all sorts, this page could not contain the zeros behind the whole numbers.
an air cooled engine is VERY hard to maintain control of, hence, hd going liquid cooled.
ONE big issue is??? exactly how much so called oxygen depleted vapor (it is not air) is expelled from the engine vent to the cleaner and what exactly is the final ratio entering the intake????
truth told, there is oxygen left, even a computer controlled system looks at O2 content of the spent gas and compared to the entering to tell if the system is working and also if the cats are doing their job.
so all of this deposits are from the vent vapor???? which is mostly water and some spent combustion gas and a tad of oil vapor, hummmmm, perhaps they need to measure what is slipping past the rings!!!!!!!!
a BIG issue with the hd is that it will transition to a positive c/c pressure and when that happens, ring seal is compromised so you cannot place all blame on the c/c vapor!!!!
oily air cleaner, why??????
simple: LAZY FLOW !!!!! look at how rice does it.
with the lame hd system, the vapor passes through an orifice into the cleaner from a higher pressure to a lower pressure and what happens???? particulate matter falls out.
that said, since it is dumped to the outer periphery of the filter, it is in a lazy flow area and the particulate collects and over time makes a mess. this mess worsens and the system is taxed.
rice puts their vent in a high flow area from the vent to the intake so particulate has little time to attempt to fall out.
i do not have issue with this since i made my vent flow to a high flow area and i push the machine to its limits.

i am not saying you cannot make more power, i am saying it is a nat's a$$.
Every bike is different, some have more challenges than others with more hot, oily, oxygen depleted air going into the intake...others less. All will benefit, both in performance and tune stability by venting externally.

We have a video coming out shortly showing oxygen levels, carbon monoxide levels, and temperature of the "air" exiting the breather system into the engine. You may find it interesting.

In the meantime we have done a video and written report showing how much air flows and under what riding conditions. Below is the video, and here is the LINK to the written report with all the data.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I believe your dealer's definition of "Tightening up" means setting the rings, of which were completed before 900 miles. As far as oily intake, listen to @DK Custom Products and take a look at their external breather options. $$$ well spent. Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
BouseBill (03-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil in my air filter at 3000 miles