Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Clam's 97" buildup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Clam, if you didn't install the cams, I have a bearing puller/installer that I can ship up to you to use so you can install the Timken B148 inner cam bearings. Also, the oil has to be the correct grade which is an oil used primarily in diesel engines. Your owner's manual has the spec for the oil.The bearing upgrade is recommended due to the fact the OEM bearings have too much space between the rollers.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
Hey Clam, if you didn't install the cams, I have a bearing puller/installer that I can ship up to you to use so you can install the Timken B148 inner cam bearings. Also, the oil has to be the correct grade which is an oil used primarily in diesel engines. Your owner's manual has the spec for the oil.The bearing upgrade is recommended due to the fact the OEM bearings have too much space between the rollers.
Ahhh bummer too late ! The engine is all back together. Thanks for the awesome offer !

As for Rotella, I have heard much positive feedback on using the Rotella "T" oil in air cooled bikes. My '84 GPz is a bit of an old skool oil burner, and I am going to try The Rotalla myself. As I understand, older KZ's GS's suposidly benifit from the high levels of Zinc in the Rotalla oils.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain

I just got off the phone with Revolution about the bearings. He commented if I have the bearings with the "plastic" needle races they definately need to be upgraded. If I have the bearings with metal needle races i'm all set those are adequate. Obviously I don't know which bearings I have so the cams gotta come back out for a bearing inspection.... friggin **** !!!! Oh well

I will absolutely take you up on borrowning your bearing tool !!! Thanks a ton I will return the favor! Your saving me good coin !

Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

You're welcome. Pm me your name and address and I'll ship it off tomorrow. I'll have to trust you to take care of it and ship it back.If you're going to remove the cams, might as well install the Timken bearings (B148). You should be able to get them at a dealer, Ebay for sure or Eastern Performance for like $14.00.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain

You're welcome. Pm me your name and address and I'll ship it off tomorrow. I'll have to trust you to take care of it and ship it back.If you're going to remove the cams, might as well install the Timken bearings (B148). You should be able to get them at a dealer, Ebay for sure or Eastern Performance for like $14.00.
Revolution sent me the upgraded bearings with my kit so i'm all good to go.. . I will take extra care of your tool , and reimburse you for shipping to me. Thanks again ! PM sent.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Here's a link to a cam change report that has pictures of how to use the tool.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-day-3-a.html
The guy in the writeup uses a rubber mallet to tap the new bearings in but I would recommend a dead blow hammer if you have one.

Last edited by roadkingharry; 12-08-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain

Took the bike for a quick ride yesterday, engine runs awesome ! I was wondering about low end drivability and i'm happy to say it feels no different than stock. Obviously I can't wind the engine up hard as i'm breaking in but I did a few short "blasts" up around 4500 rpm's and let me tell ya' this kit really starts to boogie above 4K compared to stock ! Power is only going to get better as the rings seal and the top end loosens up. For the $1600 I spent the power pkg I got was absolutely worth it IMO !

Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Well, parts showed up at my door sat. Here's some pics of the kit :

The heads. Revolution does a really nice job at porting. The purposly leave the bowl chambers and port surfaces "rough" rather than mirror smooth for better midrange rpm fuel atomization.

Here's the 97" BB piston and cylinder. Note the 9.8:1 compression ratio is scribed into the piston. I'm told this kit will run perfectly safe on pump premium.

Here's the top end and cam gasket kit :

Lastly here's the gear drive cam conversion kit :

So right now I'm stripping down the bike. I currently have the front end off too as i'm converting to a chrome front end. So the engine is next !
Not to be a ball-buster, but there in NOT atomization occuring in the intake runner, it occurs in the combustion chamber. And why was the cylinder heads gasket surface, delivered to you, unprepped, with residue from the OE gaskets?
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain

Well, put about 600 miles on the 97" and the rings are starting to take a set, and the engine runs awesome overall. I have a slight off idle cold hesitation that almost goes away when the engine gets up to temp, maybe some fiddling with the f/i map will rid this. Let me just say, get the rpm's building around 3800 and hang the fu@k on ! Big grin on my face now ! No the power doesn't blow me away, but honestly, a night an day difference vs the standard piped and SE air filter baseline then after the build. I have awesome additional power pulling hills now riding 2 up.

Last edited by Road_Clam; 04-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM
francisstark1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the same kit except i went with 570 crane gear drive cam the bike runs great..i have v&h true duals just had it dyno tuned last week 79hp 91.36 tq i was hoping for somewhere around 90 hp and 110tq thats what Todd and i talked about.. my 99 ultra runs good im going to change to a 2 into 1 tuned exhaust and have it dynoed again.. i have 2000 miles on my bike did the work myself and no problems how did yours turn out

Quick Reply: Clam's 97" buildup