Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Scissored Flywheels '03 Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

1 - I am hoping it is just the rings havent seated yet - My old pistons were SE Forged made by Arias. Wrist pins were very tight so I replaced them with new same part number. What I took out of the box was the newer technology titanium rings which are thinner and the forged pistons were not made by Arias. My experience with Moly rings is they seal fast, chrome not so fast. I have never installed a set of titanium rings so do not know what to expect.
2 - The gaskets were marked front and rear and top so I do not believe I installed upside down. I did remove the Rocker ASM and the Breather, placed my thumb over the drain hole in the bottom plate and blew into the vent hose with no air leaks
3 - Several years ago I installed these Myst Free Breathers and drilled out the rocker ASM drain hole with the bit provided in the kit.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive never used any ti rings..cant help you there. Did you hone the cylinders? I bet it just needs some time to seat the rings

Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
LockheedT-33
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 50K miles on my RK, I did the SE upgraded tensioner with the oil pump. I wanted gear drive but my crank run out was .03. I was told by a factory Harley mechanic that .03 was ok for gear drive. He did one that had .05 even. He told me that Harley was not as concerned with run out on the twin cams because the chain is a lot more forgiving. I guess they paid way more attention to run out on the EVO because of the gear setup.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

The original wheels were scissored and the sides were scored, the wrist pins were tight so I replaced the pistons. Pistons came with new rings and I had 50k on the cylinders so spent anothe $300 for new cylinders.

New pistons, rings, and cylinders, same Doherty Myst free Breathers in heads. 17degrees today with forecast of 40 by weekend after next, may try to put a few hundren miles on it to be sure there is no additional blowby fouling things up....

Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good write up with this, hope you have the oil problem fixed.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Couple days over 40 and just put the 2nd tank of fuel in it. Idled alot so only had 140 miles on the 1st tank, just over 175 miles now. Anyway not leaks or funny noises. Oil pressure good an around 32 idling and 40 or so on the highway. I placed 2 folded blue towels between the inside of the air cleaner and the bottom of the filter. Looks like maybe a tablespoon has been soaked up so far.

5-8 inches of snow tonight so I will be washing the salt and sand off today. New blue towels after the cleaning andf I'll see where it goes....

Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Just realized I never finished this.... I pulled my rocker boxes back off to find the umbrella seal slightly lifted from the tittie on the back side against the seperator pocket. Basically it was longer than the pocket was deep so trimming the end off allowed the umbrella seal to lay flat.

This is a 2nd bike for me and I keep it at the weekend place so I only have a little over 2000 miles on it now, the blowby is gone. Motor seemed to ping under low end loading as the summer got hotter. I noticed I had a little too much advance in the timing tableafter comparing to multiple other similar build maps. Pulled some of the low end advance out a few weeks ago to resolve ping.