Europe All of Europe "Hey, it's small!"

German TUV inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my FXR here in Germany 1990-94 not very many issues, military seemed to be given a free pass, Foreign Bike Tags may have helped that. We were exempt from TUV laws for the most part, however things seem to have changed, 4 of us stopped on new dressers last year and pretty much interrogated about our Factory Pipes and DOT Approved shorty (but legal std) helmets. The Polizei had a deliberate sting op set up on the road to a advertised rally. The fact that we were military really puzzled them, but lucky the Old Cop amongst them knew of the NATO Base and our exemption from some of the rules. For a good while we were thinking our bikes were going on a flatbed truck. We did have diplomatic Tags, so that confused them even more. Bottomline the Cops are more sensitive and less likely to look the other way , depending on day/place/time/ mood and any available common sense. Hell... I have Python 3s on my FXR and I am scared to take it out on some days, even my German Neighbours give me the evil stare! ...We get our vehicle inspections on NATO Base and they are pretty forgiving, do not even test for db levels ....but I am fortunate to have option to ride factory exhaust on the newer glide. Bottomline things are getting stricter out there. Think Holland is still pretty open but perhaps the riders from there can comment. Belgium not sure, never had any problems in either.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM
martin14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FXR_Hamster
Belgium not sure, never had any problems in either.

Once you have a Belgian plate on your bike, there are no further inspections,
so you can do what you want.