EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rocker Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:02 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Rocker Lockers

Yet another Rocker Locker thread for your viewing pleasure. I installed these today and wanted to share my thoughts. First, they work as described. If you have that annoying rocker knock at cruising speed, especially under light throttle throttle, these will cure it. Its a pretty straight forward job. I recommend removing the gas tank. That will give you lots of room and, its easy. Second, some people have reported installing the Rocker Lockers with the rocker box installed on the bike. I do not recommend this. The threads in the head are too easy to strip and then, you are screwed. 5 more bolts and the rocker box is on the bench. I had trouble with one out of the 4 Rocker Lockers I installed. One of them got bound up about half way down and started to mushroom on top. It actually started out tighter than the rest too. Dont know why. probably a fraction on an inch too large or, my rocker plate hole was a fraction too small. Anyway, I cut it off where is bound up, filed the top flush and left it. It had gone deep enough to at least keep the rocker shaft from moving so, its doing its job. The other 3 went in smoothly. On all 4 of my rocker shaft bolts, I could see a half moon shaped indention from where the rocker shaft was rotating with the rocker. You can see one of them in the picture below. If I did this job again, I would buy the one piece rocker box gaskets from Harley. The Cometic gaskets I used are 2 piece and can be a pain to line everything up . I re-used my rocker cover gaskets as they were still soft. The job took me 4 hours which included having to cut down an allen wrench to remove the rear valve cover. I took my time too. Overall, I think the Rockers Lockers are a good investment for $25.00 and , they were kind of fun to install.

Last edited by 89FLHTC; 05-18-2016 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
unnnivers (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So how do you remove them if you need to swap out the rocker arms?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:11 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter

Originally Posted by GraemeR
So how do you remove them if you need to swap out the rocker arms?
You remove the rocker arm support plate and tap the Rocker Lockers out from the bottom to the top.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

cheers....so its an interference fit but not a really really tight one. I might try some of these on my old Evo.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter

More of a press fit but, if worse came to worse, you could drill them out. They are just thin brass sleeves.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Just tried a set on my twink. But I didn't take anything apart. Just did one bolt at a time. Allen wrench about the size of the bolt will get the rocker shaft squared up so rocker bushing will slide in. When I have to pull rocker boxes...I drill and tap a hole in rocker box to lock rocker shaft. Been doing it for years . But the locker bushings are simply if bike is together . They do work but it's not the only noise. Lol Did my second set the other night in 1 hour 15 min

Old 05-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
Yet another Rocker Locker thread for your viewing pleasure. I installed these today and wanted to share my thoughts. First, they work as described. If you have that annoying rocker knock at cruising speed, especially under light throttle throttle, these will cure it. Its a pretty straight forward job. I recommend removing the gas tank. That will give you lots of room and, its easy. Second, some people have reported installing the Rocker Lockers with the rocker box installed on the bike. I do not recommend this. The threads in the head are too easy to strip and then, you are screwed. 5 more bolts and the rocker box is on the bench. I had trouble with one out of the 4 Rocker Lockers I installed. One of them got bound up about half way down and started to mushroom on top. It actually started out tighter than the rest too. Dont know why. probably a fraction on an inch too large or, my rocker plate hole was a fraction too small. Anyway, I cut it off where is bound up, filed the top flush and left it. It had gone deep enough to at least keep the rocker shaft from moving so, its doing its job. The other 3 went in smoothly. On all 4 of my rocker shaft bolts, I could see a half moon shaped indention from where the rocker shaft was rotating with the rocker. You can see one of them in the picture below. If I did this job again, I would buy the one piece rocker box gaskets from Harley. The Cometic gaskets I used are 2 piece and can be a pain to line everything up . I re-used my rocker cover gaskets as they were still soft. The job took me 4 hours which included having to cut down an allen wrench to remove the rear valve cover. I took my time too. Overall, I think the Rockers Lockers are a good investment for $25.00 and , they were kind of fun to install.

Harley Evo Motor after installing Rocker Lockers - YouTube
How come u paid 25 bucks? There 15 bucks

Old 05-18-2016, 10:44 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter

$15.95 + $8.80 shipping from DK.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Just tried a set on my twink. But I didn't take anything apart. Just did one bolt at a time. Allen wrench about the size of the bolt will get the rocker shaft squared up so rocker bushing will slide in. When I have to pull rocker boxes...I drill and tap a hole in rocker box to lock rocker shaft. Been doing it for years . But the locker bushings are simply if bike is together . They do work but it's not the only noise. Lol Did my second set the other night in 1 hour 15 min
I did install one without pulling the rocker block but , on my Evo, the rocker locker bushing would not go in far enough or easy enough to pull in with the bolt. I was having to put too much pressure on it so, instead of taking the chance of stripping the threads, I decided to pull the assembly. Had there not been a lot of room to work, I would have sanded the bushings to fit easier in the rocker block. I had already bought new gaskets anyway so, it was no big deal. Just lots of wrenching!
Plenty of room with the tank removed.....

Old 05-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

eBay. Free shipping. For the next one .

Quick Reply: Rocker Lockers