EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How to 'prime' oiling system when changing engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 AM
happyhab
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to 'prime' oiling system when changing engine

I am currently installing a used engine into my '95 FXDWG.

So, all my oil lines are empty, oil pan has been drained, and if I tilt the motor sideways, I do get some oil running out of the oil pump, but I have not pulled the drain plug on the bottom end to check/drain that fluid as of yet.

What steps would you take before starting the engine to make sure everything gets oiled ASAP?

I plan to flush the system 2 or 3 times at 100km intervals after the job is done, but would like to start off on the right foot.

Would you put some lighter oil down the cylinders and once the system is filled with oil, crank the engine over with spark plugs wires off and fuel disconnected to get the pump primed and oil to all parts of the engine, etc, before going live.

I know there must be a tried, tested, true procedure out there. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You could pour oil in the rocker boxes if your covers are off, but what is most important is.... When oil tank is full, disconnect oil line from it at pump end, when oil comes out, reconnect it. Then remove cap for both check ball and tappet screen when they fill with oil put caps on and fire it up.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:48 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

You can also prime the engine by putting the bike on a lift, tranny in high gear, plugs out, and turn the rear wheel. It's not super easy, and it takes some time, but does work.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:27 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
You can also prime the engine by putting the bike on a lift, tranny in high gear, plugs out, and turn the rear wheel. It's not super easy, and it takes some time, but does work.
this is what i've always done... just keep turning, and when the oil comes up through the pump you're good to go

Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Hit the starter without the plugs in it after you turn the rear wheel for a couple of revolutions. Makes it easier until you get oil in there

Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The pressure relief valve is down stream of the oil pump, so when you fill the oil tank gravity will prime the pump, then just crank the engine over without the spark plugs and when the light goes out it is primed.

Remember unless you submerge the engine in some sort of cleaning fluid there will be enough oil left to lube the engine if it was previously run.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:47 PM
happyhab
Cruiser

Thanks a lot of all the feedback guys. Much appreciated and can't wait to be back on the road. Cheers

Old 06-26-2016, 07:59 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

All good advice, he does though I believe have his oil in a pan under the transmission...no gravity, what I ended up doing was filled the inlet line with oil and kept trying until it grabbed, wheel turn in 5th gear, took awhile but I got it.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:24 PM
happyhab
Cruiser

Originally Posted by apples402
All good advice, he does though I believe have his oil in a pan under the transmission...no gravity, what I ended up doing was filled the inlet line with oil and kept trying until it grabbed, wheel turn in 5th gear, took awhile but I got it.
Yes that's correct, my machine has a pan, not a tank.

Is there a link or pic someone can post outlining which hose is the inlet?

I have two lines going to the top of the transmission, one to the bottom of the pan, and one to the bottom of the pump. I also have a front mounted oil filter, in front of the front cylinder.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i remove the out side cover on the oil pump - pack it solid with Vaseline jelly - and re install the pumps cover - then hand pump oil into the feed line to the pump at some point the oil will puddle at about 1 inch down the hose - return the line and start it up

the vaseline is sticky and creates a suction it will pick the oil up before it starts

Quick Reply: How to 'prime' oiling system when changing engine