Help!!! Starter issues w/ my 1985 FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:23 PM
ElectraGlide_Chris
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Starter issues w/ my 1985 FLHTC

Can anyone give me some advice?

My bike will not turn over the engine consistently when its cold. The bike makes a whining noise out of the primary. The jack shaft engages the clutch basket, but the starter clutch gear just vibrates and does not usually turn over the engine. If I just hit the start button repeatably for a second at a time, it may drive a tiny bit. If I do this for a while it will generally start. When its warm it starts very well. Im not sure it actually moves the basket any more when warm, but the bike seems to like to run, and would start immediately when I push the button.

I have checked (ensured they are tight) all cables. If I short the solenoid to the battery I get the same thing. If I pull the spark plugs, it turns over consistently (also with 1 plug in).

I recently replaced the starter (with a $90 Drag Specialties...Hitachi I believe...it has 10mm nut on solenoid connection) which did not seam to have any effect.

I also replaced the battery, the starter, and the starter drive clutch gear for this issue. The starter relay quit a couple years ago was replaced at that time.

I also have replaced the stator and voltage regulator because the stator had a wire shorting to ground. I replaced the clutch basket pretty recently too, because the friction plates were worn, and after I tried to rebuild it, I found grooves in the basket. I replaced a blown head gasket a while back. The bike started fine for a quite while after all this work, but though I should include a history in case...

Im wondering if my old starter was too old and worn, and my new starter is too weak to turn over the engine. Is there a better, stronger starter I need to resolve this?...If so can some recommend a brand?

Summer is here...I just want to ride.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:54 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome from Connecticut, Hitachi is usually just fine, maybe a high torque from "all-*****" would help, maybe your new battery does not have enough cranking amps. Timing could be too far advanced also. Fwiw,when I start mine, I usually hold the start button about two seconds before she even starts to turn, that is on the compression stroke, but it starts quickly after she turns. I have Hitachi also.

Last edited by glidein wide; 04-30-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:15 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlide_Chris
Can anyone give me some advice?

My bike will not turn over the engine consistently when its cold. The bike makes a whining noise out of the primary. The jack shaft engages the clutch basket, but the starter clutch gear just vibrates and does not usually turn over the engine. If I just hit the start button repeatably for a second at a time, it may drive a tiny bit. If I do this for a while it will generally start. When its warm it starts very well. Im not sure it actually moves the basket any more when warm, but the bike seems to like to run, and would start immediately when I push the button.

I have checked (ensured they are tight) all cables. If I short the solenoid to the battery I get the same thing. If I pull the spark plugs, it turns over consistently (also with 1 plug in).
How big a wire did you use to connect the battery to the solenoid?
If you used too small a wire it won't carry enough amps to start the bike.

I wired in a starter relay on a friends '85 Super Glide to solve his not starting problems that sound a lot like yours.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:12 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Now that's a decent first post Kudo's to ya

First thing that crossed my mind is to connect a volt meter to the battery.
Hit the start switch and note the voltage in the battery while your cranking.

If the voltage drops to 9volt or below the battery is marginal at best if not bad.

This test has served me well in most cases for years. Temp can affect a battery more than many think.

A little more info on the bike might be helpful. Mods and such as to compression. Is the bike stock??

Hitachi ain't a bad starter in my books

WP

Oh yea How cold is cold where your at

Last edited by WP50; 04-30-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the bendix gear on my 85 failed it would randomly whine when starting. Even if yours is new it could be defective. You can put yours in a vise and try to turn it backwards. If it slips it's bad. You can buy heavy duty gears for high compression motors like mine.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:15 AM
ElectraGlide_Chris
Stage III

I don't thinks its the gear... because the bike was fine for years, then just started doing it. I changed the gear just in case... but its doing the exact same thing with the old and new gear.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:29 AM
ElectraGlide_Chris
Stage III

Same thing with the cables sizes, they are all the same ones as Ive been running for years, pretty thick gauge...

No mods on the motor...that Im aware of. Its pretty warm over here..even when its cold like 60s-90s it does the same thing. Ill put a volt meter on it tomorrow. I replaced the battery with a brand new one for this issue.

Im wondering if I have a compression issue...since it turns over so easy with (1) plug (or both) out...

1985 FLHTC ElectraGlide.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Maybe the armature in the starter is faulty. If one of the brushes are sitting on the bad spot it's not gonna want to hear it.. if there is a short in it, it will turn over no problem with out the plugs but put a load on it and forget about it,it's a possibility.

Last edited by glidein wide; 05-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:35 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry

I wired in a starter relay on a friends '85 Super Glide to solve his not starting problems that sound a lot like yours.
I'm kinda thinking this might apply to his ?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...ded-click.html

WP

Old 05-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

If it's like a late shovel primary check that little arm thing off the solenoid to see if the corner is rounded. Sounds familiar to a bike at the shop in town.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Starter issues w/ my 1985 FLHTC