EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Replacing lifters without replacing oem solid pushrods?? Don't want to open Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:32 PM
jasonbum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing lifters without replacing oem solid pushrods?? Don't want to open Rocker

I am getting some different opinions.. My question is: Can new lifters be installed without cutting the original solid pushrods and without opening the rocker.
The way I understand is that in order to get the lifters out, the pushrods have to be cut if I didn't want to open the rocker. Then just use adjustable pushrods.
I spoke to tech at S&S and he advised that if I am opening the lifter blocks (leaking gaskets) then S&S adjustables can be installed.
At the same time, I am considering mild cam and cam bearings. This is for a 97 EVO .
thanks

Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

No.......

Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Glide is correct... Now, if you are a newbie to Harley motor work and want to cut the pushrods to save time and money that's fine but you will not be able to just swap out the Standard S&S adjustables, It requires removing the cam cover and finagling the lifters blocks (with the lifters in them and trying to install the lifters, blocks, pushrods and tubes)and still manage to get everything timed properly.... Not an easy task for a newbie because the Standards do not have as much adjustment as the quickies... So I suggest you get the quickie pushrods... They have more adjustment to them making it a lot easier to do the swap.... And don't forget the Factory Service Manual, FSM....

One more thing, If you are a first timer I would take the time and do it by removing the Tanks, rockers etc... It's not that time consuming and is a lot less aggravating... And if you do go with a performance cam stick with new adjustables so you cam set the preload to .140".. Good luck....

Old 08-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Hotrod speaks the truth. If you're going to go with adjustable pushrods, go with the "quick install" type. The others will require removal of the rocker boxes to install anyway, and you get the disadvantages of adjustable pushrods (possibility of one coming loose) with none of the advantages (ease of cam/lifter servicing).

If you DO cut the pushrods, use a bolt cutter, not a saw or die grinder.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 PM
jasonbum
Cruiser

Wow, you guys know your Sh....stuff.
Thanks, and as noted I'm new to Harley motor work. I've been a Harley owner since my first one 96 springer..bought it brand new when I was 24. I've just never kept one long enough for high miles. Just having the strong erge now to jump back onto an EVO. I think the Evolution was the best engine that Harley built (IMO). I've done just about everything else to a Harley except the motor, so kinda looking foward to getting to know the Evo a little better.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:43 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonbum
Thanks, and as noted I'm new to Harley motor work. I've been a Harley owner since my first one 96 springer..bought it brand new when I was 24. I've just never kept one long enough for high miles. Just having the strong erge now to jump back onto an EVO. I think the Evolution was the best engine that Harley built (IMO). I've done just about everything else to a Harley except the motor, so kinda looking foward to getting to know the Evo a little better.
You're in the right place!!

If your bike is typical, it's probably getting a little weepy by now at the base gaskets. If so, this is the perfect opportunity to pull the top end and re-gasket her with modern gaskets.

Then, as long as you are in there...new, high compression pistons, five angle valve job, head porting, etc, etc, etc.

(Our hobby is spending your money...)

Old 08-15-2017, 06:18 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
You're in the right place!!

If your bike is typical, it's probably getting a little weepy by now at the base gaskets. If so, this is the perfect opportunity to pull the top end and re-gasket her with modern gaskets.

Then, as long as you are in there...new, high compression pistons, five angle valve job, head porting, etc, etc, etc.

(Our hobby is spending your money...)
That would be correct Omaha..... We're here for ya..... LOL....

Old 08-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Replacing lifters without replacing oem solid pushrods?? Don't want to open Rocker
Keep oem pushrods, or don't open rocker boxes...you get to pick one...

Attached Thumbnails Replacing lifters without replacing oem solid pushrods??  Don't want to open Rocker-a291f6f185340813cd48737ca523f541-growing-up-musicians.jpg  
Old 09-06-2017, 06:01 PM
jasonbum
Cruiser

Thanks guys.
Looks like I'm going to start ordering stuff. I'm looking at either andrews ev13 or ev27, hylift lifters, s&s quickies, torrington bearings.
How is this sounding to you boys?
In what order would you do this work? Also want to replace the lifter block gaskets..they're weeping.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

There is a lot of smart and even smartasses here. An occasional dumbass or Nostradumbass rears its ugly head every once in a while..

Quick Reply: Replacing lifters without replacing oem solid pushrods?? Don't want to open Rocker