EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Your thoughts on 1985 FXEF

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Dublin
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on 1985 FXEF

Hi, I'm new on this board and need your advice. Here is the skinny, a couple of days ago Idrove a Harley for the first time(about 10 min)and I have to say,it sure is a different ride.I have been driving "metric bikes" for 30 years and I thought I would try an H-Dand maybe addone to my stable. I do not know much about Harleys, but I ammechanicallyinclinedand have (and still do) work on car engines and "metric bikes",that said, my buddy sellinghis 1985 FXEF-80, 4-speed,chain drive, with 22,500 original miles on the clock. It is in very good to excellent condition and runs/drivesgood. He is a good freindand is going to let me drive it for a couple of days to see if it is what I want. I guess what I would like to know is, arethere anythingparticular problemsI should look at or be aware of.Good things? He would sell the bike tome for$4000.
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Dublin

Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Your thoughts on 1985 FXEF

That seems to be a really good price if the bike is in as good condition as you say. I say it's a keeper...

Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I always liked those bikes and they rode pretty well too. I had an early 1984 FXEF years ago, mine had the Shovel as the one you are looking at has the EVO.

There are not really any known problems to look out for reguarding the machine. The EVO was one of the best engines ever designed by Harley. It it has been well kept and well maintained through the years....you are in good shape.

Do you have any photos? Any rate, sounds like a good deal.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Bike,Great Price!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you've already jumped on this, that is a deal

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i agree with everyone, you cant go wrong for that price. oyu could sell it for at least $6,000.00

Old 06-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Dublin
Stage II

Thank you all for the replys. I have talked to other people that have worked on H-Ds"(week end mechanics) and they said the same thing, that it is asweet deal. I also went to a custom cycleshop(I was refered to himby another person)andtalked to the owner who is also a mechanic and works on H-D's all day long. Well when he got done talking about the bike.....I felt.....well.......not so good......
Here is what he said about the bike:

#1. Hesaidin a few years I will be sticking tons of money into it because it is a 4-speed tranny(higher RPM's=more vibration) and that I should look for an 86 or newer bike with the 5-speed.

#2.Parts are hard to find.

#3. There is a leak thats coming from the transmission where the sprocket is(drive chain hooks uptoit)and said it would be $250 to fix,and in a couple of weeks, it(the seal)will start leaking again.

There were other things he said about it, but I was just so bummed out by that time,that I can't remember.

He really cut the bike down......I felt so bad.....and I'm not even the owner of this bike.

Now I don't know what to do......I did take the bike back to my buds and that I would think about it..I did tell him about what the mechanic said....(no big deal to him)

I just don't know why this one mechanicis havingso much influence on me.

He did bring up one valid point, and that is,....that this was the first H-D that I drove and I should try out other ones.....

I know the bike is a good price and it is in very good conditon(went to the H-D dealer and they said the same thing)but I just don't know what to do. I have a couple of a days to decide if I want to buy it or not.....

I have to add this.....My girlfriend said"You just don't look very good on the bike, the bike is too small".....soooo I'm asking you: "Should I look for a new g/f ?" lol

Dublin

Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
jimh
6th Gear

hi dublin
it sounds like a good deal
i have a 85 myself and never have trouble with parts [and a live in the most isolated capital city in the world] as for vibration single fire ignition fix,s that
with the 4 speed justyou wait till you line up a 5 speed atthe lights you,ll see why i love them
i replacedmy gearbox seals 3 years ago still not leaking
you will wear out primary chains and you might crack the clutch housing[easily fixed with a sleeve]
and don't expect a long life from battery's
but still a great fun bike

p.s you can always get a new girlfriend but not a new bike

jimh

Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's an old bike, so you should count on spending some money to fix things. It's a rare bike, not many 4sp Evos were ever made so some parts might be a little tough to find, but no one throws away any Harley so there wil always ba a way to keep it on the road. As far as the rpm and the vibration, you said you've ridden it. Did it bother you? If the seals are replaced properly, they shouldn't leak. As for it being small........compared to what?.....a GoldWing?
If you're not prepared to dink around with it when you have to, then buy something about 10 years newer.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd buy the bike....get a new mechanic and a new g/f !

That motor and trans combo was in production for 20 plus years.
Everything you'll need is either readily available or you can get it
through Vtwin or some such company. My bet is that mechanic
has caught up with the owner and bought it for himself. You
won't find a better deal if that is all that is wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on 1985 FXEF