EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I really lost myself this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:54 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Matt, that is xactly why I like to know the reason for needing to know what your head temps are telling you.
I imagine that your goal is to keep temps as low as necessary to maintaing an efficient system.
But which part of it exactly?
Or are there many other factors you are after other than over all efficiency?
I know that avoiding overhating it will preserve the life of your motor. But is there one specific matter or issue you are trying to keep under control?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,846 Likes on 1,774 Posts

I think Matt had some past scuffing issues he's trying to avoid on his recent build.

In my case, I'll take a look at HT just because I already have the gauge, and 5 minutes to rig, just another evaluation tool., what I don't want to see is a big difference between front and rear cyl's
I richened the carb after a rear blown head gasket a couple years ago, but it was really an under torque issue a few S&S engines had a while back, MPG's did suffer.
It's time to go through the carb, so I'm going to retune, then the temporary rigged HT and AFR meters get removed.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:54 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

Matt's had back luck with a couple of builds that did show hi heat concerns... Knowing that, he's trying to keep his temps down to not ruin another build... If timing, fuel and compression are on and an AFR meter to confirm, I don't see the need to go as far as he is.... And for that An IR meter is fine... But to each his own..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

All correct. This is round 3 on this motor and I wanna make damn sure things dont get out of hand, temp wise.

The irony is that even though I’m monitoring just about everything I possibly can in real time I still have no idea where the official temp threshold is. Just suggestions and conjecture from others where I need to grow concerned. At least it’s a guide, but it would be nice to know for certain what blew up my last two attempts at a 107” Evo.

I swear to god if this one pops I’m gonna buy the cheapest stock Evo I can find and trade the bike in for a newer Twin Cam based Road King.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
All correct. This is round 3 on this motor and I wanna make damn sure things dont get out of hand, temp wise.

The irony is that even though I’m monitoring just about everything I possibly can in real time I still have no idea where the official temp threshold is. Just suggestions and conjecture from others where I need to grow concerned. At least it’s a guide, but it would be nice to know for certain what blew up my last two attempts at a 107” Evo.

I swear to god if this one pops I’m gonna buy the cheapest stock Evo I can find and trade the bike in for a newer Twin Cam based Road King.
Don't worry, I got you covered just in case....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...tail-flst.html

Old 02-13-2019, 02:53 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

Matt, what are the entire build specs? I lost track.... What carb, ignition, Pistons, cylinder head including combustion chamber size, intake port mods, do you know what CFM the heads are flowing. Pipes... If you don't mind me asking...

Old 02-13-2019, 04:03 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Following your build since the biggining. You have every right to protect your self from destroying another build. Or you can ride like an ole lady. Problem solved
Joking aside tho, I’m beginning to wonder if the MoCo base Evo or twink has wat it takes to get big.
Bigger than 110.
Think about what they did to get to 103. 110 and I guess they can sell you a 114 in twink form.
Now they have the M8. From what I read. They’re a crap shoot.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard

do you know anyone else with an evo? stock or otherwise? if you do, put all the head temp stuff on that just to get an idea what is normal. like i said my stock evo runs about 350 but i don't know how accurate the HD gauge is.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Matt, what are the entire build specs? I lost track.... What carb, ignition, Pistons, cylinder head including combustion chamber size, intake port mods, do you know what CFM the heads are flowing. Pipes... If you don't mind me asking...
S&S case w/ 4 5/8" stroker crank, Axtell 3 13/16" flat top pistons and cast iron cylinders, Hammer Performance Stage 4 heads at 91cc, CV40 carb, S&S 520 cam, Ultima ignition 58-644 w/ wasted spark coil, chopped Thunderheader 2-1. Eventually I'm going back to the 585 cam and maybe a Super E but I'll need to build up the combustion chambers a bit with some welding. Originally I went with 30 degree domed pistons and the heads are machined for it. Now that I'm back down to flat tops I've got a lot of extra combustion chamber, but the actual CR right now is a very accurate and very streetable 9.5:1. This is great for break in, but eventually I wanna get back into my 585 cam so my plan is to build up and reshape the outer fringes of the combustion chamber with some TIG beads, then some grinding and milling to get me around 85cc (and 10:1)

Originally Posted by bagga
do you know anyone else with an evo? stock or otherwise? if you do, put all the head temp stuff on that just to get an idea what is normal. like i said my stock evo runs about 350 but i don't know how accurate the HD gauge is.
Yes actually, I helped my dad rebuild a 1996 Dyna. This is a great idea! Thanks.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
Don't worry, I got you covered just in case....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...tail-flst.html
Nice bike but I meant Evo engine.

That's the cleanest 89 I've ever seen tho.

Quick Reply: I really lost myself this weekend