EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Weird timing behavior

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts
Default Weird timing behavior

So I went out for some break in miles today and when I got home I wanted to fine tune the timing and change my primary oil to ATF. I also bought an EZ-Tyme thing to install since I couldn't see **** in the hole:

I painted a mark right at TDC on the rotor when the TDC mark was shown in the inspection hole. Made it nice and big so there would be no mistaking it. I've also got an HF Advance timing light.

Now what's weird is with the advance timing light on zero degrees, I'm seeing very consistent flashes showing the black painted mark is also at TDC. When I turn the dial on the light the black mark slowly moves CCW away from TDC, which makes sense. The problem is that I'm told if I put a dial back timing light at zero degrees there would be no correction and I should see the spark where it normally happens. The problem I'm having is I RARELY seen anything around 30 degrees. Every now and again I would occasionally see the black mark at 30 degrees, but almost constantly the TDC mark would show.

I know for sure there's no way my spark is actually going off at TDC. The bike wouldn't even idle. Why the hell am I seeing so many flashes showing the TDC spark timing then?

One other thing that crossed my mind is my shitty Harbor Freight timing light...

Last edited by Mattbastard; 04-28-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:35 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

The timing light would be my guess also. Probably a flakey potentiometer/variable resistor. Maybe a little electronics contact cleaner/tuner spray if you feel like opening up the timing light or can get the spray into the dial. But is it worth the hassle?

Keep your eyes open for a good one for sale at resale shops, garage sale, online auction, etc. They can be had pretty cheap since not to many people use them anymore.

I really like your add on timing mark/scale. Yes the stock timing mark even with the clear plastic plug is a witch to see. I end up turning all the lights off in the garage when checking timing, and that clear plastic plug has to be set at "just the right depth" in order to see the mark, but still a pain...

Think I will pick up one like yours and install next time I'm in the primary. YD

Old 04-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

It would be great if I could test the operation on a known vehicle, like a 1972 Chevelle, but who has a car around now a days with actual timing marks on the harmonic balancer?

I'll swing by O'Reillys today to see what they have for timing lights. I'd prefer one that doesn't have a bunch of electronics in it for altering the output of the light flash. Just friggin' flash when the spark fires, I'll take care of the rest...

Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Think I will pick up one like yours and install next time I'm in the primary. YD
I got mine at Retrocycle, but they're available other places. They're not made anymore, but on the same token how many people actually times their Evo's?

Be advised, I had to drain my primary to use it without making a god awful mess of ATF all over the garage floor. I'm going to fabricate a plexiglass cover that'll go over the inspection hole to keep things sealed while I can see inside the primary.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,061 Likes on 436 Posts

The bolts that hold that device on, are they not supposed to be safety wired? Not too familiar with Evo so just wondered.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baird
The bolts that hold that device on, are they not supposed to be safety wired? Not too familiar with Evo so just wondered.
Meh... Loctite.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Maybe your "couldn't see **** in the hole" and the strange behavior of the fancy mark thingie are related. I use a 40 year old cheap inductive pickup light with no fancy dial on it and I've never had a problem seeing the marks in the timing hole, with or without the plastic plug.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Maybe your "couldn't see **** in the hole" and the strange behavior of the fancy mark thingie are related. I use a 40 year old cheap inductive pickup light with no fancy dial on it and I've never had a problem seeing the marks in the timing hole, with or without the plastic plug.
I'm hoping that. I'm about to head out to Home Depot for some plexiglass to make a cover, and hit up the auto parts stores for a regular ol' timing light without all that fancy electro-gizmo ****. I'll update later.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,235 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess

I have never been able to **** with the plastic thing...I cut a piece of rubber hose and push it in far enough where it wipes the flywheel clean...if you are running any kind of modern cone ignition...don't nee the marks anyway.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:49 PM
89FL
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baird

I would. Imagine if anything got loose/free in there.

Quick Reply: Weird timing behavior