EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Sigh, just a rant. Clutch cable content

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:21 PM
BluesCast
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Sigh, just a rant. Clutch cable content

Yeah so my 89 Springer clutch cable went **** up. No biggy, it was 29 years old. So ordered a replacement J&P branded cable in May. I may have gone through 2 tanks of gas and bam, the new cable broke about a half hour ago. Got off the bike and the eyelet that attaches to the lever broke in half. I'm guessing the pot metal was lovingly manufactured with saw dust. Anyway, Ordered a Barnett brand cable, figure $80 cable might be better than the $39 cable.

Not Bashing J&P per say as I had great luck with other products branded by them. Think it's just the **** manufacturing now a days from other lands.

Just some advice though, hold on to your OEM crap as long as possible. Not trusting 21st century manufacturing at the moment.
Ride safe.

Last edited by BluesCast; 06-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Do not buy Chinese!

tar_snake (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Barnett makes good stuff,
Better than OEM IMO.

BluesCast (06-17-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm with THC on this: Barnett makes the best replacement cables. With The MoCo obsoleting so many parts for the older bikes, it's nice to have a decent source.

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Do not buy Chinese!
Yep. Ya gotta be careful on what you're buying and from where. But those of us born in the 50's, might recall, Japan was doing the same. All I remember hearing as a kid was 'Jap Junk'. Now, many Japanese products are 'the standard'. And expensive. Then came the Taiwanese stuff. Now it's 'Chinese Crap'. I figure one day, China will get the quality issues resolved. By then, it'll be more expensive, and at a price point where we (USA) can start producing it (certain products) again.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
I'm with THC on this: Barnett makes the best replacement cables. With The MoCo obsoleting so many parts for the older bikes, it's nice to have a decent source.

Yep. Ya gotta be careful on what you're buying and from where. But those of us born in the 50's, might recall, Japan was doing the same. All I remember hearing as a kid was 'Jap Junk'. Now, many Japanese products are 'the standard'. And expensive. Then came the Taiwanese stuff. Now it's 'Chinese Crap'. I figure one day, China will get the quality issues resolved. By then, it'll be more expensive, and at a price point where we (USA) can start producing it (certain products) again.
Why would they bother???
We are buying their crap just as fast as we can because it's cheap so why would China bother to fix their quality control?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Kozmo
Road Master

Received 332 Likes on 201 Posts

Did you contact J&P? They may make it right for you even though you bought another one?

BluesCast (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:39 PM
BluesCast
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kozmo
Did you contact J&P? They may make it right for you even though you bought another one?
Ha the thought never occurred to me. I should probably let them know anyway.

Thanks,

Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Since I also own a couple of dinosaurs in addition to the EVO I have some experience with cheap chinese (taiwan) parts. They aren't typically plug and play. You have to be more of a millwright than a mechanic. When I buy these crappy parts I check the fit. In the case of a clutch cable, the ball on the end has to be massaged a little to get it to fit in the brass fitting. I use a file. Keep filing and checking until it rotates with no binding. The bind is probably what got your cable. It likely kinked and broke. When the fit is good and the cable rotates freely, dab some all purpose grease on the ball and housing then put it all together.

Incidentally, it is a regular maintenance item when you adjust your clutch to pull apart the clutch lever assembly, clean and inspect the ball and lever, then regrease and assemble. Mine gets pretty gritty after 5,000 miles. You been doing the maintenance on that cable end?

carl

BluesCast (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 PM
BluesCast
Advanced

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Since I also own a couple of dinosaurs in addition to the EVO I have some experience with cheap chinese (taiwan) parts. They aren't typically plug and play. You have to be more of a millwright than a mechanic. When I buy these crappy parts I check the fit. In the case of a clutch cable, the ball on the end has to be massaged a little to get it to fit in the brass fitting. I use a file. Keep filing and checking until it rotates with no binding. The bind is probably what got your cable. It likely kinked and broke. When the fit is good and the cable rotates freely, dab some all purpose grease on the ball and housing then put it all together.

Incidentally, it is a regular maintenance item when you adjust your clutch to pull apart the clutch lever assembly, clean and inspect the ball and lever, then regrease and assemble. Mine gets pretty gritty after 5,000 miles. You been doing the maintenance on that cable end?

carl
Cool thanks for the tips.
Well the Barnett cable came today, I'll take care of it this weekend and make sure there are no binds.