EVO All Evo Model Discussion

hi! help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:07 AM
jyx
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default hi! help me choose

Well i know this is impossible for anyone but me to answer but humor me with pros and cons if you can, i´m looking att two bikes, one is a 1996 roadking and the other is a 1996 electra glide, both with similar milage and looks well maintained, so i guess the biggest question is the fairing, i like the look on the electra but on a roadking you can shoose windshield or not, or are there any other differences i have missed ?

So, what do you guys think ?

Old 08-15-2018, 01:44 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I have owned both and they both have their pros and cons. As you pointed out the Electra Glide has the Batwing and the Road King has a Windscreen that is removable. Can you Tour with both, yes, however, the Electra Glide should have the Tour Pack / Trunk with passenger backrest as standard equipment. As was the case with my Electra Glide, I had additional lighting added to the Tour Pack which was nice to have for night riding. You can add those to the Road King, but of course at an extra cost. The Electra Glide will have a CB/Stereo/Intercom system with speakers in the Batwing and back in the passenger seat area. None of that is standard on the Road King. The Electra Glide will have more gauges and display them up higher as they are mounted in the Batwing. The Road King will have a tank mounted speedometer. You can add a tachometer which I did on an older Road King I previously owned. The Electra Glide should have lower fairings which can be added to the Road King, but again, standard on the Electra Glide. I also recall the Electra Glide has air adjustable suspension. I don't recall if the Road King did? You can ask the seller / visually inspect? Some remove the air suspension and put progressive or other non-air systems. You should find out if both bikes are stock or have any mods. While your at it also ask about any engine modes, etc.

So, if you want all those extra features listed above as standard then get the Electra Glide. If your good without them and like to remove the windscreen for wind in your face riding then the Road King may be your choice?

Last edited by mmesa005; 08-15-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

The lower fairings, CB, intercom, and cruise will only be on the Electra Glide Ultra model … the Electra Glide Classic has the tourpak and batwing, all the gauges … just not the items I mentioned.

I have both the Electra Glide Classic and the Road King … both are 1996 models … biggest difference I notice between the two is the sitting position … with the Road King you sit farther back … with the EG you sit forward more, actually onto the end of the fuel tank … both ride and handle very well … I like both, my favorite is my Electra Glide

The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dainese (10-07-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

If either bike has EFI choose the one with the carb.

The following 2 users liked this post by texashillcountry:
Hey Man (09-29-2018), Kingglide549 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 AM
jyx
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If either bike has EFI choose the one with the carb.
No, carb on both, i´m no fan of the earlier EFI:s either

well, the Electra is a bit closer to home and i know the owner so right now i´m leaning more in that direktion, but ask again in a couple of hours....

Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 AM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 515 Posts

I might add another nice extra on the glide is you can get the quick removal bracket for the pack to sport out the look and feel.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by jyx
No, carb on both, i´m no fan of the earlier EFI:s either

well, the Electra is a bit closer to home and i know the owner so right now i´m leaning more in that direktion, but ask again in a couple of hours....
That right there would decide me one way or the other on buying that bike.
I know some people who treat the hell out of their bikes and some who take very good care of them.
Which one is the owner??

Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I bought my FLHS new, which when stock looked much like an RK, with the same windshield. You can see it now, in my sigpic. That darned windshield was a nuisance, it caused a lot of buffetting around my head and badly affected handling in cross-winds - it had to go! I now have a batwing and tourpak - oh and a wife! Says enough really.....

The following users liked this post:
jyx (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Seeing that they are both carbed..... For what your looking for the Glide would be your most reasonable choice..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I have a Road King. I can tell you that at speeds over 50 mph, you will really want that windshield on it. Mine feels like it is trying to blow me off the bike.

carl

Quick Reply: hi! help me choose