EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Electra Glide Project!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Electra Glide Project!

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and a new Harley owner. The project I have I posted a picture of and I do have the complete bike. It is an 1987 Electra Glide Classic. Hoping some will follow my build as I go and help me along the way. A couple of questions I would like to put a newer exhaust on it and I seen someone say about having to switch a tranny mount would like more information on this if possible? Also interested in switching to a newer dash board if its not too much if a pain like the 96+ and the newer hand controls.. And is there any areas I should pay special attention to that might be weak, should replace or upgrade. Thanks your much everyone Derek

Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Awesome looking project bike! Well done!

Where are you going with this? Mostly stock-style restoration, or something more radical?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Cybertech
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to update it some. Planning you black most of the chrome out and do a satin copper paint on it. I will completely rip it down and go through it. Nothing to crazy. Definitely remove some things on it

Old 10-01-2018, 05:53 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Definitely a work in progress here.... Most problems will probably be in the fairing... Damn ol wires......

Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

A challenge, to say the least! Keep us up to date, as we love to see photos and help newcomers spend their money - we're very good at doing that!

Old 10-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I can see saving a Shovelhead or older but not an evo. That bike in the picture will never be worth half of what what it would cost to make it presentable and road worthy. As much as I love motorcycles I'd probably scrap that one for weight by the pound and find myself a more worthy project.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I can see saving a Shovelhead or older but not an evo. That bike in the picture will never be worth half of what what it would cost to make it presentable and road worthy. As much as I love motorcycles I'd probably scrap that one for weight by the pound and find myself a more worthy project.
Most of us here have way more in our cycles than they are worth. Value is the wrong way to approach these things, besides, how do you value a labor of love?

The following 4 users liked this post by Beemervet:
86glider (10-02-2018), bentparts (10-09-2018), HGM (10-01-2018), Mattbastard (10-03-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Most of us here have way more in our cycles than they are worth. Value is the wrong way to approach these things, besides, how do you value a labor of love?
Well said - whatever we may spend on our toys, it will be money and time well spent!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
You're in the wrong bit for that sort of pessimism! Evo love isn't about money. Even a cursory read of the Evo Forum will show a long series of financially foolish decisions that each of us would (and will) gladly make again!

OP, that looks like an ideal bike for this sort of project. I observe that it still has the original timing cover. Decent chance the motor is untouched.

How much of the story do you know about this bike? It's obviously been sitting for quite a while. Any idea why it was parked? How many miles on the odometer?

You asked about specific things to look for. Main thing I'd get a good look at before getting too far into this is to look for corrosion or cracks on the frame (particularly down at the bottom, in the area in front of the rear wheel) and the swingarm. Much will depend on whether or not you're starting with a good frame. I'd also pull the plugs, jack up the rear wheel and see if you can use it to turn the motor over. If she passes both of those, you're in good shape.

98 has it right: The wiring inside the fairing on those is a nightmare.

Looking forward to watching along as you dig into this! Good luck!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

just a helpful idea - when you find the swing arm cross shaft if rust frozen solid and cant remove it no matter what you do

two ways will work - one turn the bike sideways slide it into the press and push the shaft out need a 30 ton press

second remove the engine and every thing else the empty trans and just the swing arm together will come out the front if the motor has been removed

Quick Reply: New Electra Glide Project!