EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New to me 91 FXRS leaking from tappet blocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Mccula
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me 91 FXRS leaking from tappet blocks

Hi guys. Recently picked up a 91 FXRS, evo 80, it's leaking from the tappet blocks. I'd like to replace the seals down there, along with all the pushrod O rings. My rocker boxes are NOT leaking, so I'm planning to cut the Pushrods and replace with ez-install style ones. I called my HD dealer to see if SE made quick install rods for the evo, they don't think they do.
So I am looking at the S/S quickee or andrews EZ adjustable pushrods. I don't want to go through the top since it's not leaking.
Would anyone recommend one or the other? Also, will both work with factory pushrod tubes? If so, it looks like i'll need the following seals/o-rings to do this:

F/R tappet guide gaskets: pn 18633-48D, 48C
O rings for pushrod covers: pn 11132A, 11145A, 11157

Am I missing anything?

Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The first thing you should do is try and tighten the tappet block bolts as they could just be loose and you will be spending all that money for nothing.

IIRC tappet block bolts are set at about 7 ftlbs.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
The first thing you should do is try and tighten the tappet block bolts as they could just be loose and you will be spending all that money for nothing.

IIRC tappet block bolts are set at about 7 ftlbs.

Sung them down first (you'll need a 12 pt, 1/4" socket). Might do the trick.

Don't know about the Andrews, but I do know the S&S pushrods will work with the stock tubes. (Have to think the Andrews will as well).

At the risk of over-explaining, you're aware that there's a specific procedure for setting the pre-load on the pushrods, right? Basically you need to move the cam to the base circle, set one of the pushrods on that cylinder, wait until the lifter bleeds down, etc.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha

At the risk of over-explaining, you're aware that there's a specific procedure for setting the pre-load on the pushrods, right? Basically you need to move the cam to the base circle, set one of the pushrods on that cylinder, wait until the lifter bleeds down, etc.
And IMO ya may as well go ahead and do 'em thru the Rockers... I have done more than a few...and only a shortened allen wrench is necessary that is a "special tool"
I personally see no reason for adjustable pushrods...and so...I have none...
BTW The Person who recommends drilling a hole in the frame to access those Rocker box screws...is to be avoided ... even shunned...
Many Frames were replaced by the MoCo back in the day that was deemed a "big idea" by some dealerships even...

Last edited by Racepres; 05-08-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
And IMO ya may as well go ahead and do 'em thru the Rockers... I have done more than a few...and only a shortened allen wrench is necessary that is a "special tool"
BTW The Person who recommends drilling a hole in the frame to access those Rocker box screws...is to be avoided ... even shunned...
Many Frames were replaced by the MoCo back in the day that was deemed a "big idea" by some dealerships even...
Here you go
This was written up by a really smart guy
First put the bike in high gear and rotate the wheel forward until the valve to be adjusted just closes.
Then put a piece of tape on the bottom of the wheel.
Next rotate the wheel forward until the valve starts to open, put another piece of tape on the wheel.
Halfway between the two marks will put that lifter on the heel of the cam.
Now you can adjust that valve.
We usually add a quarter turn or so extra to make up for loss of length when tightening down the pushrods. Hope this helps.

John at Miacycles

adjustable S&S is the way to go..... never an issue and 32 tpi set to 27 flats...

Old 05-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Dealerships drilling the frame....lol....that's wise, sounds like something done out of anger. I have a flat tool that works fine. I also have a little MoCo spud tool that you can use a wrench on.

I can't see how adjustable rods are better, but an expensive time saver. I have them on my TC, I always wonder if they will ever come loose.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Just out of precaution, check your tappet block areas for any cracks, and not just a bad gasket.

I've got Adnrews EZ in my bike. I highly recommend them. Put them in 20K away, and they've been good with no need for adjustments.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Here you go
This was written up by a really smart guy
Nice... But I was Not taught that way... course...we had kickers when I was taught and now of course we need to rotate the engine with the trans engaged..
How to adjust...is nothing I worry about with my EVO...because I take the time to remove the pushrods, and put them back...
and yes... I know how to find the heel of the Cam when I both remove and replace..

Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have the Andrews in my bike. No problems. I also recommend some blue loctite on the screws when you put it all back together.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Mccula
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked them all with a torque wrench yesterday, they were all pretty snug and close to spec. Cleaned everything with brakeleen and took a short ride and it's still leaking pretty bad. Thinking it could be the tappet block itself. Attached is a picture. Anyway, I'm planning to order the adjustable pushrods, the o-rings and seals listed above, and new tappet blocks just in case. The engine has about 30k miles on it. Shpuld I replace the tappets while I'm in there?

Quick Reply: New to me 91 FXRS leaking from tappet blocks