EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR rear fender position

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts
Default FXR rear fender position

I just bought an 84 FXR (was an FXRT but no longer) because I hear nothing but great things. The one issue is the rear fender gap and visual appearance has always stood out to me as not right but figured I could address that and the bike being far from original means I can without guilt. Yes it has to go over bumps and not collide with the wheel but they manage on other bikes without what looks to me as a fender from another brand that they cobbled onto the back of the bike.

Has anyone repositioned their fender successfully? Im sure the original one could be made to look more "right" and Ive done a ton of googling of fenders and some look good possibly by lowering the bike? Am I one of the few that thinks it looks odd?

I love the bike btw, love how it handles and sounds.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

One suggestion is simply get used to it! You're looking at an old bike which was designed and built before 'looks', whatever they are, became so important. A few of those models came with long shocks (around 13") while the lower looking ones probably had 12" long ones. So if it really matters, get some slightly shorter shocks.

The following users liked this post:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (03-21-2022)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 AM
BB.No8
Tourer

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a 1990 FXRS-Convertable that I picked up last year as a project bike. What I think you are talking about is the rear wheel looks like it is sitting forward and the rear fender sticks out. I personally feel that it looks off myself. Lowering the bike will help close the gap some but the wheel will still be "Off Center" to the fender. I have seen some FXR's that have been lowered and they do look better asthetically IMO. I saw an FXR about a year ago in Cycle Source Magizine that the owner of the bike had installed a longer swing arm that pushed the rear wheel back and centered it under the rear fender, looked really sharp. I think that the guy built or modified his swing arm, and if memory serves me corectlly he pushed the axel back 1.5 inches. I don't know if I still have that Cycle Source Issue but I will look around for it and give you the month/year if you want to try and check it out.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by BB.No8
I have a 1990 FXRS-Convertable that I picked up last year as a project bike. What I think you are talking about is the rear wheel looks like it is sitting forward and the rear fender sticks out. I personally feel that it looks off myself. Lowering the bike will help close the gap some but the wheel will still be "Off Center" to the fender. I have seen some FXR's that have been lowered and they do look better asthetically IMO. I saw an FXR about a year ago in Cycle Source Magizine that the owner of the bike had installed a longer swing arm that pushed the rear wheel back and centered it under the rear fender, looked really sharp. I think that the guy built or modified his swing arm, and if memory serves me corectlly he pushed the axel back 1.5 inches. I don't know if I still have that Cycle Source Issue but I will look around for it and give you the month/year if you want to try and check it out.
Thanks that’s exactly what I’m talking about. If you can find the info that would be great. Saw this on line this morning. Could be a longer swing arm or sectioned the fender. Whatever was done is subtle and gets the look right.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Jake707
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

lowering a FXR? Tisk tisk. Do you put 4x4 tires on a corvette too?

The following 3 users liked this post by Jake707:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (03-21-2022), eighteight (03-22-2022), Greezey Rider (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 646 Posts

Even though my sheet metal isn't stock i see what you mean, never noticed it before, doesn't bother me now. Now the side to side spacing is a different story, barely clears the tire on one side, big gap on the other.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jake707
lowering a FXR? Tisk tisk. Do you put 4x4 tires on a corvette too?
Who told you!?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Even though my sheet metal isn't stock i see what you mean, never noticed it before, doesn't bother me now. Now the side to side spacing is a different story, barely clears the tire on one side, big gap on the other.
Yours looks good, this one doesn't and the angle of the swing arm shows why.

Last edited by hellonewman; 05-15-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Yours looks good, this one doesn't and the angle of the swing arm shows why.

I don't see anything wrong with that bike...It looks perfect to me.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (03-21-2022), Dehammer (05-16-2019), Stingray702 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I don't see anything wrong with that bike...It looks perfect to me.
Im jealous. I wish I saw it like you do or was that the dog talking?

Quick Reply: FXR rear fender position