EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Recommend me some slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts
Default Recommend me some slip-ons

In the other thread about air cleaners, I mentioned that I have the K&N High Performance air cleaner element on the way. Well, I've been reading that Stage 1 basically calls for an improved air filter and slip-on mufflers. Or is this only referring to an entire new air cleaner system?

So if I replace my factory shotguns with a better slip-on in addition to the K&N high-flow filter, should I see a performance increase? And if so, what slip-ons would you suggest?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

#1 for sure are HOOKERS but they are HARD to find.

#2 Rinehardts bcs they have the Harley classical rumble my friend.

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:26 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
#1 for sure are HOOKERS but they are HARD to find.

#2 Rinehardts bcs they have the Harley classical rumble my friend.
Thanks. What do you think about the performance question? Will good slip-ons in conjunction with the better air filter give any boost at all? I know there are tons of variables involved. My bike is bone stock mechanically as far as I know.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:13 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

In your post you show a picture of a '94 Fatboy that does not have the stock shotgun exhaust I recognize.
Is that your bike?
If it is were the original equipment mufflers put on those exhaust pipes?
Another source for slip on mufflers is S&S but I'm sure they are pricey.
If you want to torture yourself you could modify a set of stock mufflers like I did but man, that turned into making the internals removable and drilling a LOT of holes.
I went through three or four drill bits. I had no idea what the result would be like and fortunately for me I was satisfied with them.

Last edited by megawatt; 06-04-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by megawatt
In your post you show a picture of a '94 Fatboy that does not have the stock shotgun exhaust I recognize.
Is that your bike?
If it is were the original equipment mufflers put on those exhaust pipes?
Another source for slip on mufflers is S&S but I'm sure they are pricey.
If you want to torture yourself you could modify a set of stock mufflers like I did but man, that turned into making the internals removable and drilling a LOT of holes.
I went through three or four drill bits. I had no idea what the result would be like and fortunately for me I was satisfied with them.
Really? I've always thought mine were stock. Maybe I should explore this a bit....

Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
Thanks. What do you think about the performance question? Will good slip-ons in conjunction with the better air filter give any boost at all? I know there are tons of variables involved. My bike is bone stock mechanically as far as I know.
Ahhh, sry my friend. I missed that. I can't give you a good quality answer. I can share with you that ALL they years I have been riding I always put slip-ons, on. Abt 3-4 times in the past, I would ask the HD Tech if I need to remap the bike or anything due to the change in the pipes and each time I was told no. The diff is not that big.

If u want to enhance the performance separate from the slip-ons, then you have the stages and cam's you may want to look at.

Hopefully that helps and I answered the question. I am really not good with the mechanical stuff.

Windseeker (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Okay, so that is your bike.
Those pipes are usually referred to as staggered duals, not shotguns.
One type of shotgun pipes has the rear pipe higher up on the side of the bike.
That is the type that Harley used on the Fatboys.
There are more varieties of "shotgun" pipes as well and you can call your pipes anything you want.
But you may raise questioning looks from old guys like me that are familiar with more traditional shotgun style pipes.
Good luck finding mufflers you like.

Windseeker (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by megawatt
Okay, so that is your bike.
Those pipes are usually referred to as staggered duals, not shotguns.
One type of shotgun pipes has the rear pipe higher up on the side of the bike.
That is the type that Harley used on the Fatboys.
There are more varieties of "shotgun" pipes as well and you can call your pipes anything you want.
But you may raise questioning looks from old guys like me that are familiar with more traditional shotgun style pipes.
Good luck finding mufflers you like.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to remember to call them staggered duals instead of shotguns.

Any insight on the power question, though? Or are slip-ons strictly for the sound?

Old 06-04-2019, 09:25 PM
BB.No8
Tourer

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
Thanks for the info. I'll try to remember to call them staggered duals instead of shotguns.

Any insight on the power question, though? Or are slip-ons strictly for the sound?
I'll try and answer you performanced question, but my question to you is what are you trying to do? Are you just trying to make inexpensive bolt on mods to make the bike perform a little better?Depending on what slip on mufflers are used and also adding an upgraded air cleaner (Screaming Eagle/Arlen Ness, etc...) you can get some HP and tourque gains on an otherwise stock motor, but you are only looking to gain a few HP (looks like you already have the staggered dual slip ons). Re-jetting the carb and having a performance tune will also get you a couple more HP. Although the HP gain is modest with these changes, the bike will run much better. To really start getting a HP/torque that you can really feel on a fairly stock motor will require at the very least a mild cam change (stock 1994 HD cams are pretty pathetic performance wise) a good bolt in cam for an apploication like this is an Andrews EV13. Even more performance gains can then be made by raising compression, more aggressive cam, head work, but they will require getting into the motor and cost will go up quickly. Hope this helps.

Windseeker (06-05-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 AM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior
Received 1,594 Likes on 642 Posts

Python slip-ons, re-jetted CV carb, and EV13 cam in an otherwise stock '98 Dyna is a combo that has worked well for me. Its not a race bike but I have no problem passing trucks up hill any more.

Windseeker (06-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Recommend me some slip-ons