EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Better look at this one!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Better look at this one!!!

Last June, I bought a set of 80 Spoke wheels off e-Bay. Couldnt resist the price, both for the same or less than one name brand.. OK, I realisticaly figured they wouldnt last forever. But my thoughts were that I'd see how I liked the look and would take my chances with the quality, paying close attention to them..

Well, last week I saw something that looked like trim adhesive on the rear. Rubbed it and figured I'd have to clean it better next time.. Today, after riding to and from work (125mi), I noticed this (see picture).. I know I gambled. Got 10k on them, but I'm glad I noticed it before they REALLY failed.. Just beware guys, there's some crap out there. These are Ultima's, by the way...

Attached Thumbnails Better look at this one!!!-0630091734.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Thanks for the heads up. Scares me to look at that rim!!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If they are Ultima's give them a call and an E-Mail with pictures. They are pretty good about customer satisfaction. But unless you got them from Jireh, there are a lot of E-Bayers passing off some really cheap s+it as name brand stuff. How many miles on them? Remember Florida is tough on chrome and billet, you need to stay on top of that stuff down there as we do with the salt left on the roads in the spring up here. Chrome parts always were a crapshoot, now more than ever you have to be careful. We had a set of Rev-Techs in the shop last week , when we pulled the tube out the chrome was stuck to the tube and it peeled the wheel. Luckily the customer was standing there and saw what happened or he said he wouldn't have believed it.

Last edited by miacycles; 07-01-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:24 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by miacycles
If they are Ultima's give them a call and an E-Mail with pictures. They are pretty good about customer satisfaction. But unless you got them from Jireh, there are a lot of E-Bayers passing off some really cheap s+it as name brand stuff. How many miles on them? Remember Florida is tough on chrome and billet, you need to stay on top of that stuff down there as we do with the salt left on the roads in the spring up here. Chrome parts always were a crapshoot, now more than ever you have to be careful. We had a set of Rev-Techs in the shop last week , when we pulled the tube out the chrome was stuck to the tube and it peeled the wheel. Luckily the customer was standing there and saw what happened or he said he wouldn't have believed it.

Thanks John,
I'm not really slamming Ultima at this point. I'd like to give them the chance to make things right. At this point though, I've got to track down my records. They were bought last year from an eBayer that sells Midwest stuff (also Ultima). He says they are 1yr mfg warrantied. I'm on the cusp of that warranty, maybe over.. But I'll give them a fair chance to make things right. With 10kmi on them (in Georgia now, no salt), and the fact that I keep the bike spotless and always in the garrage unless its on the road, I've got a real hard time believing that I'll ever put another one of their parts on my bike. I inderstand stuff happens, but man, 85mph on the highway, that could have been real bad!! That rim is split clean through for about 6" of its circumfrence. Glad I saw the rust the other day or I might not have looked so closely.. Not worth the couple hundred I saved.. Could be a fluke, I'll have to settle down a bit before making that decision..

Funny you mentioned RevTech, I pulled a "cracked" pushrod out of my bike a couple of weeks ago. Another unacceptible quality issue with extremely low mileage..

Its ironic, all the quality issues you hear people speak of with Harley's, most are due to crappy parts they installed.. Sometimes being a cheap bastard doesnt pay off..

Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

Glad you caught that! Could have been a real bad day otherwise...

I've seen OEM wheels do that, and one 750 Honda front wheel 3 days after a Great Dane peed on it and the bike was nearly new. Maybe you should check your neighbors kennel

Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by t150vej
Glad you caught that! Could have been a real bad day otherwise...

I've seen OEM wheels do that, and one 750 Honda front wheel 3 days after a Great Dane peed on it and the bike was nearly new. Maybe you should check your neighbors kennel
Wow!! I'm kinda glad to hear that, I assumed it was an extreme rarity (obviously it is rare) that indicated very poor quality.. Still not going to claim they are high quality rims, but they dont look quite as bad if you've seen it on factory stuff too.. It just blew me away to see that, luckily not litteraly..

Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,743 Likes on 1,137 Posts

And I've also seen 2 (front/rear same bike) pull 7-8 spoke nuts thru the rim from rust. Don't know what kinda dog peed on them - just kidding.

But the 750 Honda is a true story - happened in Daytona in '75

Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

I understand there's some negatives to spoke wheels, but I've yet to see cast rims I like.. So, I can deal with the potential issues of a broken spoke ore something at some point. I try to keep the dog pee to a minimum. My dog is female, shed have a hard time getting to it and the bike stays locked up in the shop. That 10k in one years time is what really gets me. To be cracked like that... I'm still having a hard time with the quality...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,787 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Damn. That looks kinda dangerous.

I just bought a clutch for the Sportster. Or ordered it from the stealer anyway. 10% off sale 'till the 4th. That was a quick five bills, but I know it is at least as good as what came on the bike 50K miles ago. I've been shying away from aftermarket stuff for important things. Even the stuff like foot pegs, after those kury ones disintigrated on me in about 2K miles.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

I'm a pretty quick learner too.. Your Kurry's dissintegrated?? Those are about the only pegs I like, but mine are 15yrs old.. Maybe they've gotten cheap too..

Hey, anyone recomend a good rim that wont break the bank? Gotta be a twisted 80 spoke....

Quick Reply: Better look at this one!!!