EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Detachable Luggage Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 PM
dz1087
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Luggage Rack?

I've been wanting to update my bike a little recently. I've planned to take off all the "Live to ride ride to live" eagles and replace them with the HD Motor CO derby, timing and air cleaner covers. Anyway, I really would like to be able to loose my tourpak mount. I don't know if I could go with a detachable or not, but it looks like I would have to get a new seat, do some drilling in the fender and loose the passenger grips. The pass grips are not of a huge concern if I can do the detachable thing since the woman rarely has time to ride with me due to the kids.

Anyone got some ideas on this? I tried looking at the HD website, but all of their mounts seem to already incorporate a seat that was attached to the fender instead of the tourpak mount like mine is. Even if I could get a small luggage rack and could attach and remove the sissy bar as required, that would be cool too.

As you can see, the seat ties into the rack and pass handles. I would ultimately like to loose the rack, and the extra tail lights as well, to give it a more modern look.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:36 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Heres what I would do. Get rid of the tourpack mount. Also remove the passenger grab rail (if you want). Now, with the seat on, take a look at what you would have to do to make up a bracket that would hold the seat in place and mount to the front set of mounting holes for the tourpack. Wherever your front tourpack mounting rail goes to (seen in the first picture going down at an angle) is where I would look to mount the home made rail to.

Make the bracket out of stainless steel so you can polish it and not have to worry about it rusting. If you don't have the tools to fabricate the part yourself, make up a drawing and have someone else do it for you.

If you have a chance, could you post a pic of your bike that shows the passenger grab rails better (an overall bike pic). I'm thinking of putting those on my bike. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
JohnG3
Advanced
Default Detachable rack

I have a quick detach rack on my 96 FLSTC. Came with the bike so I'm not sure if it was part of the Mustang seat swap or something else. Didn't see a name on it when I had it off. Will take a photo tomorrow and post it. Maybe someone on here can identify it.

John

Old 07-04-2010, 07:51 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What we do is get the little seat nut that goes in the fender from Harlwy , then go to Lowes and get a white plastic spacer that they sell (about an inch long), Then get the proper length allen bolt and install them after you are sure you located the hole in the fander correctly. Use some masking tape on the fender, along with a sharpie. That way you can measure and mark, then redo it if it isn't right. That way you can remove the tour pak and still ride. Hope this helps. I will try to get some pictures posted if I can.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM
JohnG3
Advanced
Default Tour Pack

I saw the same removable rack and back rest that I have on my 96 FLSTC. Here is the link. Removes in about 5 seconds. I played around with it and reversed the mounting (a bit of a job) that put the rack part forward so it was in the same place as the passenger seat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...item2eae1de404

Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
jhr
Intermediate
Default 92 flhs

Dad and I have removed the backrest and lugage rack on his. This made a dramatic change to the looks of the bike. We put a new motor and lots of chrome to make the bike look more modern. We have an outer fairing to mock up and get painted. The last change will be chrome lowers. We have other parts that we need to put on, but going to wait until winter.

Attached Thumbnails Detachable Luggage Rack?-hd-105-001.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put a detachable tour pac on your ride. I did it to my 88 FLHTP.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
repomann
Stage II

can some please call me at 313-282-6005 if they know where or home to customize a detachable tour pack for my 93

Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 AM
ElectraRoadKing
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shovhd

Is that a kit that you bought or something that you pieced together. I've been thinking about looking into a detachable tour pack for my 89 but haven't started researching it yet.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraRoadKing
Shovhd

Is that a kit that you bought or something that you pieced together. I've been thinking about looking into a detachable tour pack for my 89 but haven't started researching it yet.
I pieced it together, but everything bolted right on. I'll dig out the part numbers and post it a little later.

Quick Reply: Detachable Luggage Rack?