EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil Tank Pressure build up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I sure would try pulling a little oil out. It has been hotter this summer than usual in most parts, and that would add to it. I run mine a 1/2 qt. low just to keep it from blowing out the vent.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 PM
eightballdave
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evo Softail oil tanks have 4 fittings. Oil in, oil out, oil drain, and vent. The vent is not an atmospheric vent, it connects the top of the oil tank to the crankcase. On early evo models, the crank was directly vented. On later head breather evos, the venting occurs through the heads, and exhausts into the carburator. Since high speeds would often result in excessive oil being dumped into the carb and ending up in the filter where it would drip onto the nosecone when the bike was parked, a common modification was to route the vent to atmosphere, either directly, or through a pcv valve. (If using a pcv valve, the valve should be installed so the crank air can escape, but it will not pull outside air in.) Check your heads, where the carb is attached, to see if yours has been modified. Either way, air should be able to pass from the engine out.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
MN-Ultra
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

EightballDave

I vent to the ground. Don't tell the EPA.

The person (MN-Ultra) is not real, and it just a figment of their imagination.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Like mia said try dropping the oil down alittle I have seen this happen before especially when oil is changed they put three quarts in and she is above the full line (dealer)

Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think anybody has said anything about MN-Ultra mentioning his oil pressure had increased and he noticed this about the same time this happened. There is a relief spring-n-ball there buy your tappet filter screen that should be pulled and checked. Anytime oil pressure just all-of-a-sudden changes there has to be a reason. If it goes up, could be cooler weather or a change in oil weight, but if it's the same oil you have been using....not likely the oil pump just "got better" all of a sudden.

The venting, etc. could very well help your issue, but I would want to find out why I gained more oil pressure too. I am not suggesting that 22psi is too high for an EVO and I would have liked to have maintained that when I was running EVO's. It's just that it has apparently changed all of a sudden based on what you said.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 AM
MN-Ultra
Cruiser
Default 1550vt

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have not changed type of motor oil, and this was durning Sturgis most of the time the temps were in the 80-90 degree range. I don't beleive that 22psi is too much either. I was just one of the things that I noticed.

After riding for 3 or 4 hours on the highway with cruise set and then seeing your oil pressure increase, it made me take notice.

I will look in to this. I have had the tappet filter out and it was clean.

Doug
MN-Ultra

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drop the oil level first. Then what we do on our "massaged motors" is cut the vent line that goes from the motor to the oil tank and put a "tee" in it. Then we run a hose up high under the seat/ rear fender area and put a filter on it. this can solve a lot of the oil misting problems. The V-Twin engine does not have a "balanced crankcase like most automotive engines. What that means is in an automotive engine when one piston is going down there is another piston going up, this balance out the pressure in the crankcase to a large degree. In the V-Twin single crankpin style enginge the pistons are only traveling 45 degrees apart causing a tremendous fluctuation in crankcase pressure. This leads to oil misting. gasket leaks and even poor ring seal as the pressure on the bottom of the rings can cause some unwanted harmonics, but thats for another thread. Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

MN....could not mean a thing and maybe you just never noticed. On my last EVO (and this Twin-Cam I have now), I can start out with an established normal oil pressure and sometimes, I will see it increase and then drop back down to what I consider normal. I know what causes it on mine.

I start out with cool oil...it gets warm soon and settles into a normal pressure...then if it gets hot enough to open the oil cooler thermostat...the hot oil starts to pass through the cooler and drops the temperature, resulting in a bit more oil pressure. After a short time, the oil temperature will stabalize and the pressure will return to the normal range.

I use to watch this on my EVO and wonder what-the-he!! was going on until I realized that when the cooler stat opened...it dumped hot oil into a cold cooler, which resulted in an overall oil cooling until everything got warm and stabilized.

I run a crash bar cooler so I can reach down and feel how warm it is, so I know when my cooler thermostat is at full open or closed. Just at the point the thermostat opens, I have a pressure gain of 4-5 pounds until it all settles in.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:54 AM
MN-Ultra
Cruiser
Default Yes, I know it been years, but it's fixed.

Ok, I had a stator go out on the way to Sturgis. Stopped at a Harley dealership which shall go nameless, unless popular demand calls for a name.
This is before the dipstick would pop out. On the 97 evo there are two tapped #4 holes that were used to hold the stator cable down with plastic clamp. These holes go all the way through from the primary to the engine. I plugged these two holes, no more popping dipstick. The stator that the dealership installed has a fluke like wing to hold it flat to the inside of the inner primary. In a nutshell, primary oil pumped in to motor, popped dipstick because of to much oil in motor.

2500 hundred miles to go to 100K.