Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Twinkie in an evo...

I saw this today....
Twinkie in an evo...-gvebp5a.jpg

84 FLHTC with a 96" twin cam and a Mikuni 45... Guys name is Tom. Used a 08 swing arm and rear wheel.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe the owner just put that disgusting seat and fake oil fill spout side cover on. May have ground off the vin from the neck too.
I always heard that Twinkies were or rather are taller than an Evo. Can't imagine how he shoe horned that in there.
Not an easy job.

Last edited by Tee⋁ 08-05-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
Maybe the owner just put that disgusting seat and fake oil fill spout side cover on. May have ground off the vin from the neck too.
I always heard that Twinkies were or rather are taller than an Evo. Can't imagine how he shoe horned that in there.
Not an easy job.

I've done a couple of Twin Cam/FXR builds and I'm currently getting ready to put one in an '82 FXR chassis that I have laying around here.
It's not too difficult to do the swap.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Not an easy job.
Not that hard of a job, and I can tell by looking at the gas tank and the tank badge that it's the real deal.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

Gotta admit I'm wrong. I thought the newer engines are taller. This now begs the question...
What transmission is in your bike? How is it mounted to the frame?. Evo mounts differently than a Twinkie.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I've done a couple of Twin Cam/FXR builds and I'm currently getting ready to put one in an '82 FXR chassis that I have laying around here.
It's not too difficult to do the swap.
This I wanna see. Please post some pics or a link.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

This I wanna see. Please post some pics or a link.
Thanks,
Tom

I did not build the bike in the photo.....Just an example for you.
The ones I have done were all black and set up a little different as I use the stock FXR oil tank and leave the frame intact.

The '82 frame is at the powdercoaters now and I'll be starting on it one of these days soon.
My '01 Dyna is getting the bagger treatment right now with FXRT bags and fairing.
The Dyna is top priority because I want it complete by next spring so I can use it for a couple of trips we have planned.
I have the FXRT clamshell bags mounted on it and I'm gonna mock up the fairing and lowers this winter and then send it all out for paint just befor spring.

Then it'll be full steam on the '82 FXR/Twinkie.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Then it'll be full steam on the '82 FXR/Twinkie.
Arrrgh...say it isn't so! A twinkie in an '82 FXR? You're bringing a tear to my eye, Greezey. That bike should be rocking a beautiful Shovelhead! Are you building it for yourself, or for a customer?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Building it for myself....I bought it for $500 without an engine as a rolling chassis.
Shovelheads were nice motors in their day but I don't like them much anymore.
Evo's were excellent motors and I still like how simple it is to pull gobs of horsepower out of them.
But having built a couple of these Twinkie/FXR's myself and having assisted with a couple of others and seeing what a solid, dependable motorcycle the FXR/Twinkie's are, that's the direction all of my future FXR's are going to take.

I use early Twin Cam motors with the good lower ends and a carb, replace the cam tensioners with gear drive cams and just do some simple head work and the result is a great low maintenance bike with lots of torque and power.

I have no emotional attachment to the Shovel/Evo motors and I know from experience that the Twin Cam motor/transmission unit with minor modifications is the most bullet proof motor that Harley has ever built.

I had a lot of fun with my shovels and evo's and I still have an evo or two around here, but I have moved away from them as my "motor of choice" in favor of the T/C's.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Not that hard of a job, and I can tell by looking at the gas tank and the tank badge that it's the real deal.
"I can tell by looking at the gas tank and the tank badge that it's the real deal" ... The real give away is the l/s saddle bag and the location on the oil fill ... Definitely 1992 or earlier!

Quick Reply: Twinkie in an evo...