EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Installed twin cam guages

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 PM
300mmsoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post TOM. Since the 99 FLHT was a bastard of sorts from the factory, meaning the chassis, front end, swingarm, brakes and axles were carry-overs from the EVO models, with the exception of the motor and tranny. Anyway, I'm in the process of upgrading all of the above mentioned attributes to 2000 & up specs, including the front axle and lowers, which uses a 1" axle instead of the 3/4" unit. Hence the problem of omiting the cable driven speedo drive unit from the front axle and going the electronic speedo route. So basically what I seek here is the easiest way to replace the fairing mounted mechanical speedo with an electronic piece.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
300mmsoftail
Cruiser

Is this what the back of the 2000 fairing mounted speedometer look like, or is it different?

Installed twin cam guages-2000-flh-speedo.jpg

Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,245 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by 300mmsoftail
So basically what I seek here is the easiest way to replace the fairing mounted mechanical speedo with an electronic piece.

These are designed to bolt to an 1 1/8" axle spacer...shouldn't take but a little creative thinking to get it to bolt on.

http://www.debrix.com/Rear-Wheel-Spe...p/48638-m1.htm

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Is this what the back of the 2000 fairing mounted speedometer look like, or is it different?

Attachment 268197
Yes, this would be the back of a 2000-2003 Speedometer. In 2004, Harley switched and they are not the same.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the post TOM. Since the 99 FLHT was a bastard of sorts from the factory, meaning the chassis, front end, swingarm, brakes and axles were carry-overs from the EVO models, with the exception of the motor and tranny. Anyway, I'm in the process of upgrading all of the above mentioned attributes to 2000 & up specs, including the front axle and lowers, which uses a 1" axle instead of the 3/4" unit. Hence the problem of omiting the cable driven speedo drive unit from the front axle and going the electronic speedo route. So basically what I seek here is the easiest way to replace the fairing mounted mechanical speedo with an electronic piece.
You're exactly right about the 1999 model year...it was basically an EVO but with the Twin Cam and transmission. Odd year for sure...

If you're gonna go through all the work upgrading the front end and wish to use the electronic speedometer. Go ahead and go a little further to modify the transmission for the speedo sensor. It is extra work, but well worth the effort for the electronic speedo route....you'll be glad you did.

For someone interested in this conversion...don't just change the speedometer. Go ahead and upgrade the tachometer as well. The upgraded tachometer actually redlines at 6000 not that it really matters and it also looks more refined. The idiot lights are now built-in and offer the security light if a person adds security to their bike. Since I did the upgrade, I've already wired in factory security system. The check engine light was reloacted to the electronic speedometer.

Upgrade the speedometer and tachometer

Definately get the correct guage mount inside the fairing....I've since done that already.

Modify your existing transmission or replace all together...I had to go into my transmission, it was a good time to modify.

You don't have to get a used wiring harness from a 2000-2003 model. I only did because it was a really cheap find on Ebay. Plus, I was going into the unknown and I wanted everything. What I know now, you can custom make a wiring harness...but you do have to get the guage connectors and the speedo sensor.

I've since found another speedometer very close to the original mileage.

I am still happy with the end result.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
300mmsoftail
Cruiser

EVOrider, great work on the upgrade and conversion! I'm going to replace the '99 tranny with an '02-'06 unit, since I'll be using an '07 swingarm, the lastest and strongest utilizing the 1" axle ..... the swingarm pivot shaft was enlarged in '02 (I think) from a 5/8" to a 3/4" shaft, plus the unit will have the speed sensor provision. I will consider swapping out the '99 tach as well, but really just trying to keep this project as simple as possible ..... I'm in the same boat you were in when you began your endevour, "diving into the unkown". Soooooooo ... I don't have to invest in a different MAIN wire harness, but probably will need the 2000-02 front fairing harness to make the conversion possible? - Thanks for responding to the thread ... great chatting with someone whom has first hand experience with the unknown

Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Excellent transmission upgrade for you...you're going the best route at it actually.

You don't have to change out the tachometer, however keeping the original can create problems. You won't have problems with the wiring by using the original one. But, the guage bracket in the inner fairing might cause a problem. The original guage diameter is smaller than the 2000-2003 gauges. Much easier to use the newer tachometer and purchase the new style bracket...otherwise you'll have to modify the existing bracket. The new bracket is only like $5 from Harley...plus the tachometers are fairly inexpensve on Ebay. Simpler to just upgrade the tachometer too.

If you want a wiring harness....you'll need the main wiring harness from a 2000-2003 models. I see these on Ebay from time to time. You actually remove the speedo sensor plugin all the way to the gauge connectors. I think you only have to cut one wire from the harness to get the part you want. You can study the main wiring diagram and build your own...but if you can find it cheap enough, it already has the connectors. Plus, it has all the other connectors if you ever need them in the future.

The front fairing harness does not have the wiring for the gauges or speedo sensor. Harley wired the speedo sensor and the gauge wiring to the main wiring harness for some reason.

If you have access to a wiring diagram....you'll see how simple the speedo wiring actually is. It can be made rather easily. I think the section you need is attached to the main wiring harness only by one or two wires. I wouldn't have a clue what the connector part numbers would be.

I forgot to add you'll also need the rubber boot for the odometer reset button.

Let me know if you have any more questions or problems....

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM
300mmsoftail
Cruiser

The front fairing harness does not have the wiring for the gauges or speedo sensor. Harley wired the speedo sensor and the gauge wiring to the main wiring harness for some reason.
EVOrider, did HD intergrate the gauge wires from the main harness in '99 or '00-'03 .... or all of 'em? I don't suppose you know if the main harness from the 1999 year had the speed sensor wiring and connector coming off of it would ya? ... somewhere below the seat maybe? I'm sure I'll have a few more question if you don't mind, but for now, just trying to figure out what I need. (ps) You've convinced me, I'm going both SPEEDO and TACH replacement while I'm there!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

1996-1999 used the same harness. These models have the wiring for the check engine light, low fuel, and cruise light which are all found on the tachometer. 2000-2003 models have the same wiring for the above, but with one addition being the security light.

The 1996-1999 does not have the speedometer wiring. They are only wired to give light to the gauge since the speedometer is mechanical driven. There are not connectors under the seat for the speedometer.

The existing color coded wiring for the gauges are the same found 2000-2003 models. Basically, solder yellow to yellow, white to white...etc. Easy!!! Nothing is plug-in-play...must solder.

The speedo sensor wiring comes up from the transmission to under the seat. The gauge wiring travels from the inner fairing to under the fuel tank, to under the seat. There, the speedo sensor plugs in. The main wiring harness diagram shows the wiring...it's really quiet simple to figure out.

Try to locate a 2000-2003 wiring diagram and look for at the main wiring harness. 2004-up won't work as they are totally different. This will show exactly how the speedo sensor is wired in.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

http://www.officialharleyparts.com/h...tra,fltr1,.jpg

The link above shows a 2000 FLHTC main wiring harness. In the left corner of the diagram, you'll see the speedo sensor. As you can see, it's really straight forward.

If you custom make your harness, you'll need the three wires to the speedo sensor plus the connector. You'll also need the odometer reset button (comes with wire if purchased new). Lastly, the speedo connector and tach connector will be needed.

Quick Reply: Installed twin cam guages