EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Installed twin cam guages

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Installed twin cam guages

I finally managed to get around to installing an electic speedometer into my 1998 Ultra. Anyways, I'll give a writeup to anyone interested in it themselves. It certainly was not difficult....the most difficult part was locating parts with affordable prices.

My transmission only had the hump where the speedo sensor should have been. Awhile back, the shifter spring broke. At that time, I thought it would be a good time to machine it to accept the speedo sensor.

I started gathering up all the parts mostly on Ebay and a few takeoffs.

67348-00 tachometer........$20
67349-00 speedometer......$20
70985-01 main wiring harness for a 2001 FLHTC.......$35
74429-97 speedo sensor.......$10 at a swap meet

1996-including the 1999 Twin Cam Electra Glides used the same speedo. The tachometer was different on the EFI models as it had the check engine, cruise, and low fuel light.

I started off taking the instrument wiring section out of the 2001 main wiring harness. I then installed that section into my 1998. Part of the wiring ran under the tank and seat to plugin to the speedo sensor. The other wiring all goes inside the fairing. The color coding is the same between these two models.

I chose to modify the instrument bracket in my bike since I didn't have 67689-00 (instrument bracket from Twin cam). If I had that new bracket....it would have been nice. If you do install the electronic guages....definately buy the new bracket. It is less than $5 from Harley.

After it was all said and done....it works just like it should. The engine light works, cruise light works, and I hope the fuel light works...full tank during the installation. Push button for the odometer works just fine.

The mileage is now incorrect though....actually much less than the actual 80,000 miles on the bike. I don't really care though because our state doesn't ask for mileage during tag renewal. Plus, I plan on keeping the bike for a long time and not selling.

Hope this helps anyone.....

My next plan next year is to install 2000+ front wheel, calipers, and fork lowers onto my 1998. Just take my time and find the parts cheap as I can.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 PM
PeteRock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job!

Got any Pics? I would like to see the mod you made to the tranny to acomodate the sensor.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now you see, this is the difference between an Evo Rider (pardon the pun) and a Twinkie owner!!! We are not afraid to step outside the MOCO box. I love it when a customer brings in an "improved" HD.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Brave bold stuff, entering the 'dark arts' of electrics! Well done.

I have an in-built electrical oddity on my bike I promise myself that one day I will tackle, but must admit to being wary of messing with it. Perhaps EVOrider could pop round one evening for a beer and give me a hand?!

Last edited by grbrown; 10-25-2011 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Revised.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PeteRock
Nice job!

Got any Pics? I would like to see the mod you made to the tranny to acomodate the sensor.
I didn't take any pictures....sorry

I started with grinding down the raised hump on the transmission case. When I got enough shaved off to where it was almost flat...I see where the bolt hole and sensor hole should have been. Pretty much just a drill and tap for the bolt hole...easy stuff. It was like Harley made the 1993-1998 transmissions with the speedo sensor hole....but then capped off the Electra Glide, Tour Glide, and the 1998 Road Glide. Thus being the Road King being the only one with the speed sensor.

I only had one wire remaining having no place to go. It was the wire for the security module and of course my bike never had such. I capped that wire off....it is there in case I ever want or consider the security stuff. I've heard lots of complaints with the security system....that is is more just a pain.

I honestly don't know why Harley decided to put the raised hump on these transmissions. Harley could have made the Electra Glides/Road Glide with the electronic speedometers. Besides, the wiring was basically already there. My only guess is that they had a bunch of leftover mechanical speedometers and they were just trying to use up all the stock.

The wiring I did looks completely stock....black tubing, black zip ties, shrink tubing, and it is all tight.

Sometime next week, I'll take a few pictures and maybe my wife can figure out how to post them on the internet somehow.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

I took some pictures of the old stuff and with the new style installed. The old speedo would hang up and get stuck on a number. The tachometer was just really dated having the three idiot lights at the bottom of the tachometer.

Like I said earlier, next time I have the fairing off....I'll take a picture of the wiring I tapped into.

Attached Thumbnails Installed twin cam guages-th_1025111708-1.jpg   Installed twin cam guages-th_1025111709.jpg   Installed twin cam guages-th_1025111641-2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good stuff.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
300mmsoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVOrider ..... U still around? I'm interested in finding out more about this project. I'm working with a '99 Twin Cam FLHTCUI and want to rid myself of the speedo cable and use a tranny mounted speed sensor to do that trick.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Now you see, this is the difference between an Evo Rider (pardon the pun) and a Twinkie owner!!! We are not afraid to step outside the MOCO box. I love it when a customer brings in an "improved" HD.
OUCH! Now that wasnt very nice!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,246 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by 300mmsoftail
EVOrider ..... U still around? I'm interested in finding out more about this project. I'm working with a '99 Twin Cam FLHTCUI and want to rid myself of the speedo cable and use a tranny mounted speed sensor to do that trick.

I will be installing a complete late model twinkie fairing on my 83 FLHT this winter...will start a thread and have plenty of pics. I already have obtained most of the parts off ebay. Modding the trans for the sensor will be easy....the trap door on the Primo 6 speed gearset I bought has one in it.

Quick Reply: Installed twin cam guages