EVO All Evo Model Discussion

comfort flex seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 10:30 AM
glenny49
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default comfort flex seats

Does anyone out there know if you can put a comfort flex seat that they used on shovelheads on an evo frame,it seems to me the frames are the same where the seat would be attached or bolted down to the frame,the evo would have to have, i imagine,a couple of holes put into the fender for the suspension part of the seat as well?

Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

If [big word] if you can find one for a Rubbermount Shovel... yup.
The old 4-speed bear trap don't fit Rubbermounts so good...if at all!!!!

Old 01-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,236 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
If [big word] if you can find one for a Rubbermount Shovel... yup.
The old 4-speed bear trap don't fit Rubbermounts so good...if at all!!!!

True that...but he didn't say what he was bolting it to....bolting a 4 speed one to a softail would be a less than 2 beer project...

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 AM
glenny49
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
True that...but he didn't say what he was bolting it to....bolting a 4 speed one to a softail would be a less than 2 beer project...
I would be bolting it to an Evo up to 1992,because i believe in 93 they put the battery in the frame,rather than outside the frame and while i'am here ,could that be changed back i wonder,that is could you put the battery back outside the frame and change the fiberglass or plastic or what ever it is there on the 93 and newer bikes,because i believe then you could have a comfortflex seat on the 93 and newer evos as well.I don't think you want the battery exposed anymore than what you have to.But then again what do i know.Your wright there Tom84fxst,that would be more than a 2 beer project,i like you little funny there.I neglected to say in my post that the shovelheads that i referred to would be flt"s,rubber mounted ones.Thanks for all your input.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:54 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Different versions of the seat over the Shovelhead era, Buddy, Comfort etc.. I would imagine the best best would be the one form the early FLT's, probably be closest to your frame. Anything can be made to fit, depends on how many beers and skills you have. That said, those seats are for tall folk, anything less then a 34" inseam and you will be tip toeing with one of those seats. Find someone with a Shovel and sit on their bike before you embark on this adventure. Also, they were never very good for larger people (fat) especially with a passenger, and she better be petite. Seriously, find a bike and sit on it, and if this is your two up bike, bring your partner. Surprising what the MoCo passed for comfort back in the day, good luck.

Racepres (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by glenny49
I would be bolting it to an Evo up to 1992,because i believe in 93 they put the battery in the frame,rather than outside the frame and while i'am here ,could that be changed back i wonder,that is could you put the battery back outside the frame and change the fiberglass or plastic or what ever it is there on the 93 and newer bikes,because i believe then you could have a comfortflex seat on the 93 and newer evos as well.I don't think you want the battery exposed anymore than what you have to.But then again what do i know.Your wright there Tom84fxst,that would be more than a 2 beer project,i like you little funny there.I neglected to say in my post that the shovelheads that i referred to would be flt"s,rubber mounted ones.Thanks for all your input.
The comfort-flex seat is the dual seat used on the shovel-head dressers, and as such is dependent on that near vertical frame tube twixt engine and trans casings, to take its main sliding post. By your words above you imply you're considering an Evo dresser frame, yet none of the Evos have a compatible frame AFAIK. Having road tested the first Evo dressers when they were introduced, they were all rubber-mounts and came with frame-mounted seats. While a couple of models have a similar style of frame, such as the Fat Bob, I'm not sure they will take that seat.

Racepres (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
The comfort-flex seat is the dual seat used on the shovel-head dressers, and as such is dependent on that near vertical frame tube twixt engine and trans casings, to take its main sliding post. By your words above you imply you're considering an Evo dresser frame, yet none of the Evos have a compatible frame AFAIK. Having road tested the first Evo dressers when they were introduced, they were all rubber-mounts and came with frame-mounted seats. While a couple of models have a similar style of frame, such as the Fat Bob, I'm not sure they will take that seat.
Yes indeed... But, AFAIK, the Rubbermount could be equipped with a variation that did not require the pogo stick.. Think "Police model"

Old 01-09-2020, 04:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Yes indeed... But, AFAIK, the Rubbermount could be equipped with a variation that did not require the pogo stick.. Think "Police model"
Ah, good point - quite possible. Unfortunately info on Police models of that era is thin on the ground.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:57 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Ah, good point - quite possible. Unfortunately info on Police models of that era is thin on the ground.
There is a guy who is sort of a neighbor of mine [only 3 hours away!!!]... goes by the handle Biker Dad, I believe...anyway he put alot of research into a beartrap style seat on a RubberGlide..He is responsible for Any knowledge i have of the subject... That and the fact that a dear friend [RIP Big Dog] had a relatively early EVO Dresser, that was a Previous Cop Bike... had a sprung Type seat reminiscent of the old Shovel beartrap setup..Wish I would have paid more attention... But, as pointed out.. if us less than "Tall" types try that ****... we risk loosing contact with terra firma!!!! My "T" was plenty tall with a Frame Mount Seat!!!!!
Course the ground was aways away on my old Shovel when equipped with that Damn Beartrap...and still Not where I needed to be with the original Pogo!!!

Old 01-10-2020, 04:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

There is a guy who is sort of a neighbor of mine [only 3 hours away!!!]... goes by the handle Biker Dad, I believe...anyway he put alot of research into a beartrap style seat on a RubberGlide..He is responsible for Any knowledge i have of the subject... That and the fact that a dear friend [RIP Big Dog] had a relatively early EVO Dresser, that was a Previous Cop Bike... had a sprung Type seat reminiscent of the old Shovel beartrap setup..Wish I would have paid more attention... But, as pointed out.. if us less than "Tall" types try that ****... we risk loosing contact with terra firma!!!! My "T" was plenty tall with a Frame Mount Seat!!!!!
Course the ground was aways away on my old Shovel when equipped with that Damn Beartrap...and still Not where I needed to be with the original Pogo!!!
Brings back memories! My first Harley was a '74 FX1200 and not long after buying it Harley brought out what I seem to recall was their first single-colour Glide - in brown. Earlier bikes came in various colours, but with birch white batwing, bags and tourpak - I had a pair of those bags on my FX. A nearby dealer had a demo day and one of those Glides with the comfort-flex seat. Being all of 5' 6" on a good day I could only touch down the tips of my riding boots on terra firma. Being Brown by name I was determined to at least get a short ride on the darned thing and the dealer agreed, but only if I waited until the end of the day, just in case this short-*** had an 'incident'. I managed to avoid that, but good grief, the effort to touch down a toe when coming to rest at junctions etc was quite something and I was glad to get it back to them without problems. I decided I couldn't afford one anyway!!!

Racepres (01-10-2020)

Quick Reply: comfort flex seats