EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'95 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '95 Electra Glide New update and questions

Hey guys, I'm planning to look at a 3rd addition to the family tomorrow.. Its a '95 FLHTCUI, any particular issues to look for. I figure the Evo was about bullitproof at that point, but I know nothing about the EFI.. Any and all suggestions will be apreciated.. Thanks in advance fellas...

Last edited by HGM; 05-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 glide was carb. 96 was first year fi. Or so I have been led to believe.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Any suggestions? Nope! I don't reckon there is much we can add about Evos that will help. Take a buddy with you as an extra pair of eyes when viewing it. You will see what you want to, hopefully he will see things you may miss. Post pics when you get it home!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Thanks guys... I figured there wouldnt be much about the engine, I know most of the issues were fixed in '93, but thought there might be more opinions regarding the EFI. Most of the reading I have found on it leads me to believe this particular system doesnt lend itself to many modifications. So, this bike may not accept a cam and pistons as well as a '97/'98 or a carb... I thought '96 was first too, but this is a 30th Anni model for the EG, maybe it was actually the first.. We'll see how it works out, it actually needs some mechanical work, but nothing out of my comfort zone.. I'll keep you posted..

Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

1995 was the first year for EFI and only certain models got it. There wasn't awhole lot!

The 1995/1996 ECM could not be flashed. If you want any upgrade, you'll need the ECM from a 1997/1998 as these could be flashed.

That was the only real issue with the very first models....the ECM.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Cool, I'll have to keep my eye's open for one then..

So, here's "the rest of the story"..

The guy has only had it a year.. He bought it in good running condition and put some miles on it.. Noticed a base gasket leak that bothered him and it all went south from there.. The simple gasket repair turned into a nightmare for him... It is curently a basket case, hence my interest.. The head studs pulled the threads out of the case so they tried to heli coil it which somehow caused a crack.. So, the case is now cracked, to the outside of the block.. I'm picking it up tomorrow and going to see if it can be welded so I can put a thread cert in and begin assembly, otherwise, I'll need cases.. I'm comfortable in the price and believe I can fix it, since I did a similar repair on my Wide Glide.. Here's a couple of pic's the guy advertised, for Grahm...

Also, I'll be kicking around the idea of pistons and cam while its appart.. The injection has me a bit concerned since I dont want to open a several thousand dollar door that I didnt expect.. Opinions always welcome..

Attached Thumbnails '95 Electra Glide-95-flhtuci-2.jpg   '95 Electra Glide-95-flhtuci.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 AM
blackbear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice paint on that thing.You know you could always convert it over to carb from the efi.I've read somewhere about people doing it to those magneti marrelli efi systems when they couldn't get them to run right.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HGM
Here's a couple of pic's the guy advertised, for Grahm...
Dashed decent of you! I don't recall seeing that colour scheme over here - looks like one of Harleys better specials! My tourpak came off a scrapped '87 Glide which was a Statue of Liberty Centenary Edition, but was black over silver and well worth repainting!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blackbear
Nice paint on that thing.You know you could always convert it over to carb from the efi.I've read somewhere about people doing it to those magneti marrelli efi systems when they couldn't get them to run right.

Hey, what are you doing with a pic of my Wide Glide?????

I'm buying this at a good price and plan to put it together with a reasonable investment. But, I'd rather not get carried away, if I can help it.. I dont really need it, but I want it and could flip it if I decided to.. So, although I'd much rather a carb on my Harley's, I'm going to save that for a last resort. Good thought though, I'll look into it..

Last edited by HGM; 05-17-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Dashed decent of you! I don't recall seeing that colour scheme over here - looks like one of Harleys better specials! My tourpak came off a scrapped '87 Glide which was a Statue of Liberty Centenary Edition, but was black over silver and well worth repainting!
This is a 30th anniversary Electra Glide.. Special paint scheme, Burgandy/Black with gold pin stripes and wheels.. It is number 17** out of 2000 made (dont remember the actual number)..

Quick Reply: '95 Electra Glide